Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters

claycribbs

Fear the Dolphin Swag!
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok this argument came up today in class. Is golf a sport? Of course I said yes, but I wanted to hear the arguments for or against it here on THP.

I'd say walking 6000+ yards, carrying 20lbs+ of equipment, drinking copious amounts of alcohol and still being able to hit targets qualifies as a sport! haha

If baseball with a stick and ball is a sport , hockey is a sport with a stick and puck , and cricket is a sport with a flat stick and ball , I say Golf with a stick and ball is a sport :)

I still say that car racing is a sport. Of course golf is a sport.

oh yea! I have played just about every sport out there to include alligator wrestling and golf is by far the hardest. You have to be in condition to play any sport well and have lasting power. Golf not only demands good physical fitness but extremely tough mental fitness. Just look at all the Pros who frequent the gyms now. Prior to their season, they are working out like crazy to get that extra bit of power or flexiblity. Even us older weekend hackers who ride in golf carts, can wear out after whacking the ball 80 to 100 + times. Add another nine holes and your stamina is up for show. Just ask one of your football, basketball, or baseball players to play around of golf with you and see if they are not sore the next morning. Especially if they hammer the ball a 100 or so strokes at full speed. You use different muscles in golf. I bet those jocks would be crawling out of bed the next morning hunting for a serious Advil fix.

Oxford: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
Merriam: a source of diversion : recreation
Free Online: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively

The answer in all three circumstances is yes.

I vote that it is...

It is, but I get the argument against.

Wellllllllll, Dick's Sporting Goods sells golf equipment, so they must think it to be a sport. :laugh:
Seriously anytime you are engaged in a physical activity that involves physical skills, eye/hand coordination skills, competition, score keeping and in some instances teamwork, most certainly those qualify that activity as a sport.

I say it is a skill not a sport, just like NASCAR

Yes. I've just gone over this argument so many times I cannot repeat myself. It irritates me that people think it isn't.

In my opinion ABSOLUTELY it is a sport ..... a sport requires the following :
hand and eye coordination > check
conditioning (atleast if you wanna succeed) > check
mentally challenging > CHECK CHECK CHECK
competition > check (even when you play golf alone you compete against the course)
rules > check
physical skills > check
equipment > CHECK CHECK CHECK
practice > CHECK CHECK CHECK

I grew up playing basketball and baseball and played both all the way thru college. I have only been playing golf for a year but, it is by far harder for me to succeed in it than it was in basketball and baseball. If curling is an olympic sport then how can anyone say golf is not, LOL. I think golf and nascar are both a sport.

In a word yes. It is a sport without question.

I dont see how it couldnt not be called a sport

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

It's a sport. Gus did the same thing I did. Definition of sport = golf. May not be the most physically strenuous sport, but it is one.

What kind of stuff are they teaching kids in georgia? Is gold a sport? What a silly question. Of course it is. Anything you can gamble on or cheat at is a sport, lol

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

What kind of stuff are they teaching kids in georgia? Is gold a sport? What a silly question. Of course it is. Anything you can gamble on or cheat at is a sport, lol

WHAT KIND OF THINGS ARE THEY TEACHING PEOPLE IN NORTH CAROLINA? Spelling golf like gold! hehe

WHAT KIND OF THINGS ARE THEY TEACHING PEOPLE IN NORTH CAROLINA? Spelling golf like gold! hehe

I have to blame the smart phone clay, lol

Is sex a sport then?

I voted yes, but someone had to ask it!

I have to blame the smart phone clay, lol

apparently the phone isn't very smart at all tc!

apparently the phone isn't very smart at all tc!

It's not.....plus it has small keys and I have big fingers. It happens, even to a genius who was educated in the great state of North Carolina.

people in my school used to say it was a sport but you don't need to be an athlete to play it. I've also heard its a skill and not a sport.

It's a sport!

Really??? :D:D:D

gwar01_090725_mark_calcavecchia.jpg

090208herron-big.jpg

john-daly.jpeg

^ To counter that, how about any offensive lineman, pretty sure they don't look to different than those images.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Back