Compression Board Forum Testing & Review

Man, but $50. What is it about this compression board that makes it so pricey? Why couldn't I just go to the local hardware store and get some similar grade plexiglass and then draw some lines on it with a marker? I'm not sure, but I think it would be considerably cheaper. I'm not trying to insult the product or the price, I'm just trying to understand what causes this item to cost $50.

I totally agree with this, though I would use some pinstriping decals to make the lines I think.

+1. I have some birdie ball strike pads that I think I will cut to make my own. I never use those things anyway

Can you hit the birdie balls just as well off the ground? I ask because I'd like to use them with a tool like this but the birdie ball hitting pad would get in the way of the compression board.

Great write-ups so far guys. I am VERY interested in this product/concept and was hoping to test it, but the great thing about this site is even when you don't "win" you win. I didn't get chosen to test it, but I still get all the information, from people I know are giving me the straight dope! Awesome!!! Looking forward to hearing more about how this helps you all.

I headed to the range this morning with compression board and video camera in hand. I could already tell by taking a few swings at home without hitting a ball that the board will in fact show and tell you what you are doing wrong.

When going through the testing what surprised me the most was just how far I was starting my divot behind the ball even though I was still making what I consider to be good contact with the ball. I had always wondered why my short iron shots did not check up on the green as fast as I would like as I thought I was compressing the ball fairly well and starting contact at the ball. This training aid has shown me that rarely am I actually making contact at the ball but rather substantially behind it.

This will definitely accompany me on all my future trips to the range and more video to follow as I use this to help my ball striking.

If there are any questions out there, please shoot them my way and I will do my best to answer them. Also, if there is anything someone wants to see in my next video testing of this product let me know and I will get it done; should be back at the range one evening by mid-week.

Also, if you go watch on YouTube, you can choose to view in 720HD which might make a few of the close up angles a tad more clear. Sorry for the background noise - was windy and I live near DFW airport.

[YOUTUBE]0OKsWXec_s8[/YOUTUBE]

Absolutely GREAT video. Awesome stuff.

Dude, great job on the video. Way to bring it!

I headed to the range this morning with compression board and video camera in hand. I could already tell by taking a few swings at home without hitting a ball that the board will in fact show and tell you what you are doing wrong.

When going through the testing what surprised me the most was just how far I was starting my divot behind the ball even though I was still making what I consider to be good contact with the ball. I had always wondered why my short iron shots did not check up on the green as fast as I would like as I thought I was compressing the ball fairly well and starting contact at the ball. This training aid has shown me that rarely am I actually making contact at the ball but rather substantially behind it.

This will definitely accompany me on all my future trips to the range and more video to follow as I use this to help my ball striking.

If there are any questions out there, please shoot them my way and I will do my best to answer them. Also, if there is anything someone wants to see in my next video testing of this product let me know and I will get it done; should be back at the range one evening by mid-week.

Also, if you go watch on YouTube, you can choose to view in 720HD which might make a few of the close up angles a tad more clear. Sorry for the background noise - was windy and I live near DFW airport.

[YOUTUBE]0OKsWXec_s8[/YOUTUBE]

Man, that was a phenomenal video. So in depth, and so informative. Hats off to you bud! Keep it up.

Great review mcook, loved that video. That pro line absolutley looks intimidating.

Fantastic video! Keep up the great work!

Tap before talk.

Great review mcook, loved that video. That pro line absolutley looks intimidating.

My thoughts as well! I'd be afraid I'd come in steep to avoid the board.

Tap before talk.

That video was awesome man. Great stuff.

Great video! Very informative. I can't wait to go to the range and try this or something like it.

I know you were trying to squish it down into that grass, but I'd think it would work much better from a much tighter lie. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone could make proper contact at the pro level with it sitting up in the grass like that - you'd have to pick the club straight up and drop it straight down.

I have to admit when I first got the board and looked at it, I thought I would go through the process and be from level 6 to level 2 in no time. Simply not the case - tougher than it looks. If you are a "sweeper" of the ball this will get you away from that VERY quickly.

This training aid will definitely enlighten you and really show what you are doing. I could not believe I hit the board on level 5 and still made somewhat good contact with the ball. After getting a chance to review the video myself, I look forward to testing this even more; lots of ball striking to improve upon!

Great video! Very informative. I can't wait to go to the range and try this or something like it.

I know you were trying to squish it down into that grass, but I'd think it would work much better from a much tighter lie. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone could make proper contact at the pro level with it sitting up in the grass like that - you'd have to pick the club straight up and drop it straight down.

Flooder - you are correct. The available decent grass at this range was either fairly high or just sandy/dirt mixture. The ideal range would have range grass more like a typical fairway. The height of the grass I am sure had an impact on how tough the pro level was for me.

Thanks for the video, that was very informative. I think I'd be very surprised how far off and flat I coming in at the ball.

Great video.

I will try to have some up Wed.

I took the board out for a couple of hours today. I am getting fairly good at level 5 and not too horrible on level 4. I'm going to keep at it and will keep up dating as I go. I don't foresee the board breaking any time soon, it is very rugged.

mcook that was some awesome video. Extremely informative and the video just doesn't lie. Can't wait for the next installment.

Great video, looks more challenging than it first appeared!!

I ordered one today.

I spend some part of my workouts on strengthening my wrists and forearms this winter as I wanted to be really comfortable holding onto my wrist hinge with forward lean and at least in my case if I swing hard, I feel it in the wrists. So now I want something to measure myself against. If there is one thing that is easy to see swinging off a mat without a ball is where the club head is contacting the turf. You don't have a ball to distract you so you know if the club would have landed behind the ball, between the ball and the target or in the case of what would have been something of a thin hit, not at all. Then when I have been going to the heated bay range I have just been trying to duplicate my swing from home. Sort of a way to execute on the idea of just letting the ball get in the way of the swing. I want to be able to measure where I am and continue to improve. Looks to me like the compression board will help me in that regard. The Tour Striker really helped me with shaft lean earlier this year but once I had significantly increased the strength of my wrists I really started to hang on to them. Completely changed my golf swing. The scoring irons are going higher than ever and my long irons exhibit the kinds of range difference one club to the next that you would expect.

Hoping the compression board will show me how consistent I am from swing to swing and from iron to iron and help me to improve.

Great reviews so far, very informative. I'd be interested in getting a compression board but I want to be sure that it can take the abuse before investing in it. Good jobs guys, keep the feedback coming!

Ok I know that I am a few days late but i have been out of town so here are the pics that I took after my compression board arrived.
IMG]http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae85/royalwulff_photos/PICT0728.jpg[/IMG]
PICT0730.jpg

PICT0727.jpg

I am hoping to be on the range tomorrow and give this its first tryout so i will post more pics and info then. i will say that I do know that it is durable enough for a two year old to stand on it and it shows no abuse from her dancing on it, she was having fun with it.

Mcook that video was AWESOME! Really informative, and seeing it in use was great. Looking forward to more of your thoughts to come.

Great video cook,

thanks alot now that video makes me wonder if my compression and contact is solid. :D

+1 on the great video. thanks for taking the time to put that together. ill be getting one.

+2 on the video. I can see how it can improve your ball striking.

Back