Cleveland CG16 Irons - PHOTOS!!!

Hit these at gg! These will be my next irons, hopefully price goes down in a couple months

Great irons. I just put the Winn Lite blue mid size grips on mine and they really look sharp :thumb:

I'm finding a bit of parallels with TC's experiences with the 2.0's from that testing thread with the CG's so far. They are certainly forgiving in accuracy, as in I have to actively work to get it off line, but trying to dial these things in distance wise is going to take some time. Aside from a couple of incidents with the MX's I never flew the green. In my past 6 rounds in the last two weeks it's been a pretty consistent thing.

Love the sound/feel of them and they're certainly going to stick around for a good long while but it's going to take a bit to really get the range down on them.

I'm finding a bit of parallels with TC's experiences with the 2.0's from that testing thread with the CG's so far. They are certainly forgiving in accuracy, as in I have to actively work to get it off line, but trying to dial these things in distance wise is going to take some time. Aside from a couple of incidents with the MX's I never flew the green. In my past 6 rounds in the last two weeks it's been a pretty consistent thing.

Love the sound/feel of them and they're certainly going to stick around for a good long while but it's going to take a bit to really get the range down on them.

I certainly understand your predicament, but once you get them dialed in, you'll be very happy. It literally just takes time and that's a fun thing to spend when getting adjusted to new sticks.

Good luck tuna.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

everytime i hit my cg16s i just fall more and more in love! everyone always likes them after i let them hit with them.

Thank you for all the comments - this thread helped me pick out my new irons! I don't think I would have even considered the CG16's, but after doing the research and hitting them I was sold.

I wanted to let you guys know that the set I picked up at Golf Town in Canada is 4-PW plus a 52* CG16 wedge and a glove thrown in for $699 + tax. There was no mention of this grouping on the Cleveland website so I was surprised, but this spacing suits my existing club set and game better than the 3-PW. Is it the same in the States? I'm going to play a couple of rounds before deciding if I'll pick up a 48* wedge as well. Golf Town also offered to trade it in for a 50* My setup is now:

Driver: Callaway FT9 (stiff)
3, 5 Woods: Callaway Diablo Edge (stiff)
Irons: Cleveland CG16 satin chrome (stiff)
Wedges: 52* Cleveland CG16, Titleist Vokey 56-10, Dunlop Trouble 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Last edited:
my mate swears by his...nothing better he rekons

After much testing and debating, I have a new set of irons in the bag--the CG16's!

Since I was depressed from not having been chosen to test the Nike Pro Combos (kidding, kidding), I went to my golf shop to see if there were other iron options I wanted to try out before deciding to buy a set. However, they made it pretty easy when I found I could trade in my old irons and buy their floor set for a small discount (the only set of CG16's they had in Satin). Only two of the irons had the plastic off them and I couldn't see anything wrong with the opened clubs so I took them! One club fitting later, I was out the door! Couldn't do any hitting with them yesterday, but I will be sure to at least take them out to the range today. I really think I'm going to love them. Can't wait!

After much testing and debating, I have a new set of irons in the bag--the CG16's!

Since I was depressed from not having been chosen to test the Nike Pro Combos (kidding, kidding), I went to my golf shop to see if there were other iron options I wanted to try out before deciding to buy a set. However, they made it pretty easy when I found I could trade in my old irons and buy their floor set for a small discount (the only set of CG16's they had in Satin). Only two of the irons had the plastic off them and I couldn't see anything wrong with the opened clubs so I took them! One club fitting later, I was out the door! Couldn't do any hitting with them yesterday, but I will be sure to at least take them out to the range today. I really think I'm going to love them. Can't wait!

Congrats - those are some very sleek looking irons!!

Congrats - those are some very sleek looking irons!!

Thanks! And congrats again on your new irons. Can't wait to hear about 'em!

Nice set of clubs and I expect that you will really enjoy them, dannyka.

I love mine more every time out! These clubs are sweet :blob:

Congrats on the purchase! You're definitely going to enjoy these irons. :thumb: I've had mine for a little over a month and I love them. Mine were fitted, so I'm still getting used to that (more upright so they draw a bit), however I really dig the weight & feel of these irons. Let us know how they work out for you!

Great irons. I just put the Winn Lite blue mid size grips on mine and they really look sharp :thumb:

Funny you should say that... I was looking at those exact same grips at GG this weekend!

Nice set of clubs and I expect that you will really enjoy them, dannyka.

I love mine more every time out! These clubs are sweet :blob:

Guys, your thoughts about these clubs had quite a bit to do with my decision to even start looking at these, so thanks!

Hawk, looks like you decided on the Redlines. It seems like you put a lot of time into choosing those, so I'm sure they'll be great! For me they were right up there with the CG16's and the JPX800's.

Funny you should say that... I was looking at those exact same grips at GG this weekend!

I have had several very positive comments about how sharp the blue winn lite grips look on the CG16 irons. They are just flat hawt & sessy to me!

Guys, your thoughts about these clubs had quite a bit to do with my decision to even start looking at these, so thanks!

Danny - You have to play with what feels right for your swing and man do the CG16's work well for me. I absolutely love em :thumb:

I have had several very positive comments about how sharp the blue winn lite grips look on the CG16 irons. They are just flat hawt & sessy to me!

Did you get the black pearls?

Did you get the black pearls?

Naw I got the satin finish. I was going to get the black pearls however my wife played the satin seven iron forward to me and I just build my set around it. I loved it so much I had to go Cleveland and the satin finish and the blue winn lite grips are an awesome combo.

Danny - You have to play with what feels right for your swing and man do the CG16's work well for me. I absolutely love em :thumb:

Definitely. These had the best combination of feel, distance, forgiveness. And, the price was right!

Took the new CG16's out for their first post-purchase round of golf. And even then it was a 2-man scramble, but it gave me a good opportunity to try these out. If this was a serious tournament, I might've felt a little bad that I didn't have the distances down, but being a fund-raiser for a friend and that my partner and I knew we weren't going to be even close to the top, we just went out to have a good time.

Black out?
First thing: I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I opted to get the irons in the satin finish. When I demoed the clubs, the shop gave me a set of the black pearl. Although it looked really nice, I noticed that (being a set of demos) they were banged up a bit and I really noticed the nicks and scratches in the black finish. I'm sure those of you who opt for these would take much better care of them, but I'm clumsy enough to really rough 'em up, so satin it was. Hopefully, they won't show as much when I do get them... experienced.

Flight
I don't notice too much of a difference in flight from my old set (Callaway X-20's) although I would have to say they're a little lower. But if I were to match up lofts in the longer irons (X-20 5-iron = 27° vs CG16 6-iron = 27°) I think the CG16's actually fly higher.

Distance
This is where these clubs really shine. They are anywhere from about 5 yds (with short irons) to 15 yds (long irons) longer than my X-20's. Some of that probably has to do with the loft, but these irons just make hitting those distances "easier." By that, I don't feel like I need to try to hit them hard by swinging out of my shoes. The one thing I'm having an issue with right now is that yes, they're longer, but even when I get them the right distance, I can't seem to spin the shot enough to make it stick or to keep it from rolling off the back! I don't know if that's a function of the new grooves (vs my old ones) or how I'm hitting the shots because of the weight and the shaft (see next item).

Forgiveness and Feel
Wow, are these irons soft. Even on really badly toe'd shots I don't get a harsh feeling from these at all. In fact, I can't think of a fat, thin, or any other badly struck shot that has felt harsh in comparison to many of the other irons I've demoed. Obviously, when I stick a good shot with other irons, they give you that great feeling that keeps one coming back for more, but with the CG16's I just don't have a problem with any shot good or bad! In fact, when I hit it just right, I hardly feel the ball strike. For me, that's just awesome! Some will consider it too soft and want something with a little more substance, but I love it! And it's not like I can't feel the difference between a good and a bad shot, the good ones just feel "gooder." If I had to compare the feel to any of the other irons I've demoed, I'd have to say they come closest to the Adams Redline irons.

The one other thing I should mention is that I feel a lot more confident with the 5 and 6 irons. Although the 5-iron is the same loft as my old 4-iron, I can certainly hit better shots with my new irons (better meaning farther and straighter and more frequently). Don't know what it is as I don't think my swing has changed (much? :smile:) from the other week, but these have sure helped me feel better about pulling out the 5-iron and going for a green instead of pulling out my old 6-iron and hoping I get it close enough for a chip or short pitch shot. I guess we'll see if it helps my handicap at all when I'm playing from the back tees.

In closing, I love these things! If you're in the market for a new set of irons, definitely don't pass them up. Do yourself a favor and at least give them a try. You won't regret it! :thumb:

Took the new CG16's out for their first post-purchase round of golf. And even then it was a 2-man scramble, but it gave me a good opportunity to try these out. If this was a serious tournament, I might've felt a little bad that I didn't have the distances down, but being a fund-raiser for a friend and that my partner and I knew we weren't going to be even close to the top, we just went out to have a good time.

Black out?
First thing: I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I opted to get the irons in the satin finish. When I demoed the clubs, the shop gave me a set of the black pearl. Although it looked really nice, I noticed that (being a set of demos) they were banged up a bit and I really noticed the nicks and scratches in the black finish. I'm sure those of you who opt for these would take much better care of them, but I'm clumsy enough to really rough 'em up, so satin it was. Hopefully, they won't show as much when I do get them... experienced.

Flight
I don't notice too much of a difference in flight from my old set (Callaway X-20's) although I would have to say they're a little lower. But if I were to match up lofts in the longer irons (X-20 5-iron = 27° vs CG16 6-iron = 27°) I think the CG16's actually fly higher.

Distance
This is where these clubs really shine. They are anywhere from about 5 yds (with short irons) to 15 yds (long irons) longer than my X-20's. Some of that probably has to do with the loft, but these irons just make hitting those distances "easier." By that, I don't feel like I need to try to hit them hard by swinging out of my shoes. The one thing I'm having an issue with right now is that yes, they're longer, but even when I get them the right distance, I can't seem to spin the shot enough to make it stick or to keep it from rolling off the back! I don't know if that's a function of the new grooves (vs my old ones) or how I'm hitting the shots because of the weight and the shaft (see next item).

Forgiveness and Feel
Wow, are these irons soft. Even on really badly toe'd shots I don't get a harsh feeling from these at all. In fact, I can't think of a fat, thin, or any other badly struck shot that has felt harsh in comparison to many of the other irons I've demoed. Obviously, when I stick a good shot with other irons, they give you that great feeling that keeps one coming back for more, but with the CG16's I just don't have a problem with any shot good or bad! In fact, when I hit it just right, I hardly feel the ball strike. For me, that's just awesome! Some will consider it too soft and want something with a little more substance, but I love it! And it's not like I can't feel the difference between a good and a bad shot, the good ones just feel "gooder." If I had to compare the feel to any of the other irons I've demoed, I'd have to say they come closest to the Adams Redline irons.

The one other thing I should mention is that I feel a lot more confident with the 5 and 6 irons. Although the 5-iron is the same loft as my old 4-iron, I can certainly hit better shots with my new irons (better meaning farther and straighter and more frequently). Don't know what it is as I don't think my swing has changed (much? :smile:) from the other week, but these have sure helped me feel better about pulling out the 5-iron and going for a green instead of pulling out my old 6-iron and hoping I get it close enough for a chip or short pitch shot. I guess we'll see if it helps my handicap at all when I'm playing from the back tees.

In closing, I love these things! If you're in the market for a new set of irons, definitely don't pass them up. Do yourself a favor and at least give them a try. You won't regret it! :thumb:

Good review Danny and glad you like your new sticks! It will take some time getting use to the extra distance but it's a good problem to adjust to :D...

Those are some nice looking sticks!

Dannyka,
I really liked your review and you have me considering the clubs, but the fact that you are having trouble holding greens on well struck shots is more than a little bit concerning.

Black out?

Flight

Distance

Forgiveness and Feel

good review, glad you are happy with the purchase!

I am really really shocked that someone found these lower flying than previous sets such as the X-20s. In our testing, these were one of the higher flying irons with explosive distance.

I am really really shocked that someone found these lower flying than previous sets such as the X-20s. In our testing, these were one of the higher flying irons with explosive distance.

It could be one of a few things (or a combo of all!).

First, I was told my swing speed called for Cleveland's regular shaft, but time after time I liked the way the stiff shaft felt, so I went with that. I still have no regrets with that decision. I love how the shots come off the club. However, could going with the stiff versus the regular flex have something to do with flight?

Second, the lofts, especially on the longer irons are about one club off from the X-20s. For example, the X-20 5, 6, and 7 were 27°, 30°, and 34° respectively (I think). The CG16s are 24°, 27°, and 31°. When I compared the X-20 5-iron to the CG16 6-iron (same loft), the CG16 was definitely higher now that I think about it some more.

Finally, I could just have a weird swing. :smile:

Back