2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to flatten my swing and come more from the inside.....get rid of the over the top move. Yesteday I was doing pretty good and then all of the sudden I just couldn't get out of my own way.

You'll be fine, Tim. It's not for a lack of trying. With how much you'll be practicing, I'm sure you will be back to striping them in no time.

The problem I have is that I have that "baseball swing" where when I get to the top of my back swing and begin to bring it back, my elbows "cock" and shift down a bit, I then get my hands way in front and slice the bejesus out of the ball. I am going to start some lessons here in December, and see what we can do to correct it. I don't care if I hit the ball 200 yards with a driver, I just want it to be straight with some consistency.

I think maybe I need to spend a few days on the range and not on the course.....which is hard for me to do.

Might be good for the wallet that I don't know who my sponsor is until after cyber Monday.

I had some of the same thoughts. Very true!!!

The problem I have is that I have that "baseball swing" where when I get to the top of my back swing and begin to bring it back, my elbows "cock" and shift down a bit, I then get my hands way in front and slice the bejesus out of the ball. I am going to start some lessons here in December, and see what we can do to correct it. I don't care if I hit the ball 200 yards with a driver, I just want it to be straight with some consistency.

I have the same issue dude. Hence I still play a fade. I am trying to get used to the feeling of really releasing through the ball.

I believe you were there when a LPGA told me this very thing. "Josh, you are just not going to get any better without changing some things".
She was right. While I am not playing this year, I look forward to this journey.

Interesting......

People pushing each other to get better is a wonderful idea. No reason to gamble on it (or make that public), but we love seeing participants push each other to better their games, themselves and overall.

That's a big piece of this for me.. pushing my teammates and fellow Morgan Cuppers to bring everything they've got to this wonderful event. Its going to be so awesome seeing some of the quality progression of my friends over the next 9 months!!

I feel the swing change frustrations too. While I know it will be for the greater good I went into my lesson this week expecting to be hitting it great.
Turns out that I had gotten pretty darn good at my backswing and turn, and decent with the grip, but i was told almost right away at the lesson that it was going to be antoher building one.
Getting the weight moving from right to left with the lowerbody thus dropping the club into a better place for me to hit it more from the inside and then finishing a little higher.

I hit a lot of terrible shots but finally started getting it a little better.

Its hard for me to focus on the movements, and understanding they might be getting "close" when seeing poor ball flight.

I spent hours on the range today and had lots of half swings and moved into full swings and back to half swings. It's just going to take time but I'm confident that the swing changes will pay off.

Its going to be great following everyones progress on the way to the Morgan Cup swing changes or not.

I love a good swing change. Its going to be fun reading up on what everyone works on

Exactly, it's a tough motion to correct.

Yessir. At this point it easier to play it. Hopefully not forever though haha.

Yessir. At this point it easier to play it. Hopefully not forever though haha.

I think another big component for me is not getting my wrists turned over enough as well. But you're right, I've learned how to play it, but sometimes it just falls apart in a round and I can't do anything. That's the big goal for me. Correcting that over the winter.

I'm also still going through big swing changes. I have finally bought into making the conversion to a draw. It's going to be a painful process but I think it will really pay off by MC time.

When I last year went to a pro for some lessons for the first time, I was doubtful, hesitant and thought that I had it covered. Well, after a a few small, and a few big adjustments on grip, stance, position, and all that preparation / addressing stuff (that was a couple of lessons) we got to take some swings. I thought I had a decent swing...and I did I was told, until the impact, or just shortly after it. I didn't release at all. My body and my club just stopped after or apparently during the impact :D The direction of my hands and clubhead for off. So we worked on this for a while, and after that my huuuge slice became a huuuge hook, and just a couple details later my irons were straight / draw. So, for me the lessons paid really off, and now when I think about it, it was just minor adjustments, but they changed my swing completely.

No I'm working on my mobility, getting the power distributed right, and timing. I took the TPI test with my pro and I've just begun with the workouts, will se how it help, I hope a lot. Of course I do work with getting the swing more consistent and I try putt a bit everyday too keep a nice flow on the putting stroke.

Aiming to halve my handicap, 4-5 would be good.

I'm loving this challenge for everybody to improve their games in preperation for the MC and I will follow along and work hard too. I'd like be be solidly in the single digits by next mid-summer.

I certainly dont have the prettiest or most fundamental move, but I plan on just working on a few fundamentals I know lead to all my bad shots and continuing to hammer away at my short game. I saw first hand this summer that the short game work dropped my scores faster than my years of trying to perfect my long game.

I do agree with whats been said here, once you get to a certain level, the long game will need to be addressed. I'm just not there yet, still plenty of work to do.

I'm loving this challenge for everybody to improve their games in preperation for the MC and I will follow along and work hard too. I'd like be be solidly in the single digits by next mid-summer.

I was thinking the same thing. When the announcements came and went, I told myself that I planned on working as hard on my game as if I were selected. So this will be fun to follow along with and participate in. As for handicap, 6 is my goal

I was thinking the same thing. When the announcements came and went, I told myself that I planned on working as hard on my game as if I were selected. So this will be fun to follow along with and participate in. As for handicap, 6 is my goal

Good plan and good goal my man. We can always use the support! And everyone wants to play better golf!!

This year I don't plan on making any swing changes. I think my swing is where it needs to be, and usually when I start hitting bad shots it is just something small that I need the pro to point out what I'm doing. Too many swing changes in the past kept me from really improving. My main improvements I need to work on this upcoming year is my sand game and my putting. I leave too many strokes out there from misreading putts. This past year I finally felt comfortable all the time with my pace. My lag putting even improved, but I just cannot seem to make anything over 10 feet, and even on short breaking putts I just overread them all the time. I started getting some good tips from some guys in MB, but I need to just get out and spend more time on the greens next year. I think its awesome that everyone is already encouraging each other and dedicated to making sure that we all show up at the peak of our games in July. This is going to be even more fun than the last time around.

Wife was out shopping yesterday so I went to kill some time at the local golf shop where they have a heated outdoor range. They usually have a very crappy selection of clubs and prices but I check everything out anyway. Saw the AMP Forged irons in there and asked if I could hit one. He taped it up for me and WOWEEEEE! Those things were nice! They had a nice feel off the face and definitely felt like they had great forgiveness. I had just a couple shots that were off center due to not playing as much and they still got up in the air nicely and didn't come up as short as I thought they would. This was my first time hitting them. I had seen them before and thought they looked great but I was blown away hy the performance. Kudos to Cobra for such a great iron that can compete with the best of them.

This year I don't plan on making any swing changes. I think my swing is where it needs to be, and usually when I start hitting bad shots it is just something small that I need the pro to point out what I'm doing. Too many swing changes in the past kept me from really improving. My main improvements I need to work on this upcoming year is my sand game and my putting. I leave too many strokes out there from misreading putts. This past year I finally felt comfortable all the time with my pace. My lag putting even improved, but I just cannot seem to make anything over 10 feet, and even on short breaking putts I just overread them all the time. I started getting some good tips from some guys in MB, but I need to just get out and spend more time on the greens next year. I think its awesome that everyone is already encouraging each other and dedicated to making sure that we all show up at the peak of our games in July. This is going to be even more fun than the last time around.

Awesome thoughts bro! I know what you mean about tinkering. I'm with you - time on the greens!

Trying to flatten my swing and come more from the inside.....get rid of the over the top move. Yesteday I was doing pretty good and then all of the sudden I just couldn't get out of my own way.

i feel your pain.... trying to decide if i want to continue on my full swing or just work on my short game over the off season.

Both TBT and I didn't feel very MC-worthy yesterday. Both of us are trying to work on our swings, and we hit some good shots, but a lot of awful shots too. The company was still good though, and that's what made it fun.

I also realized my short game is terrible yesterday. I'm going to work in my full swing a lot over the winter so that I can put in more short game work in the warmer months.

Sent from Tapatalk

Both TBT and I didn't feel very MC-worthy yesterday. Both of us are trying to work on our swings, and we hit some good shots, but a lot of awful shots too. The company was still good though, and that's what made it fun.

I also realized my short game is terrible yesterday. I'm going to work in my full swing a lot over the winter so that I can put in more short game work in the warmer months.

Sent from Tapatalk

How about a Pelz challenge. I would love to switch you to that Ary. I think you would be amazed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back