2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the same way WCBM. Range is too great for me. I would love to bring my average round to the 70s

This is exactly where I want to be. Even if it is 79. That is fine with me!

Glad I'm not alone when it comes to being inconsistent. I think lessons will definitely help in that area, so I can't wait to get those started. Was supposed to be this week, but it just didn't happen.

Ary already touched on this, but I need to spend a lot of time on the putting green. I definitely struggle with putting and would love to be better come MC time.

Man, why didnt one of you guys tell me how brutal a swing change can be....I tweaked my swing last year...but a full fledged swing change is H E Double Hockey Sticks!!

Today I just couldn't get out of my head and just swing the club, couldn't get my body out of the way and hit a ton of UGLY shots!

I hit a few really nice shots too....but more really ugly ones....I think I hit 90% of my drives off the heel of the club...It was painful!

Had a great time with Ary and Jank1434...but bad golf just sucks!

Man, why didnt one of you guys tell me how brutal a swing change can be....I tweaked my swing last year...but a full fledged swing change is H E Double Hockey Sticks!!

Today I just couldn't get out of my head and just swing the club, couldn't get my body out of the way and hit a ton of UGLY shots!

I hit a few really nice shots too....but more really ugly ones....I think I hit 90% of my drives off the heel of the club...It was painful!

I can attest. I'm currently going through a swing overhaul, and I'm considering not even going to the course until I feel comfortable enough with the swing.

I can attest. I'm currently going through a swing overhaul, and I'm considering not even going to the course until I feel comfortable enough with the swing.

I had a lesson on Wednesday....my second as I start this process.....I played yesteday and things went pretty well until the last 3 holes and it got ugly and that just continued into today

Sorry to hear bro. Glad you had a great time though!! It will get better!

Might be good for the wallet that I don't know who my sponsor is until after cyber Monday.

Might be good for the wallet that I don't know who my sponsor is until after cyber Monday.

bahahahhahah very true!

Me too. My goal is to be a 2 by the end of next summer. My goal for the MC is to be very consistent score wise coming into it. Right now I feel like I could shoot too wide of a range.

I'll push ya JConn.....I want to be a 1 or 2 by MC!

I dont think I have ever had a swing change, that I was consciously aware of. I have never taken a lesson, and my wife bought me a few for my birthday but I have been hesitant of going and taking them because I am fearful of getting my swing broken down and tweaked. Sound weird, I know.

I could not get on any of the courses near where Spank was staying this morning so we decided to head down to the golf store instead. Was a great couple of hours as I got to hit just a number of different clubs from 3 of the 4 sponsors ( sadly Bridgestone clubs were not available) and learned a little more about the direction I might go in when my sponsor is announced. Now I just gotta wait to hear the news next week!!

I dont think I have ever had a swing change, that I was consciously aware of. I have never taken a lesson, and my wife bought me a few for my birthday but I have been hesitant of going and taking them because I am fearful of getting my swing broken down and tweaked. Sound weird, I know.

That is not weird at all WE. It is the sole reason why I stayed away from lessons for so long. Back in the early 90's when I first took up golf I had gotten with a couple of lousy teachers who all they wanted to do with my time with them was have me hit ball after ball and try to hold the club in all sorts of different ways till finally I had enough. When I took golf back up again a few years ago, my friends told me to take lessons but I refused till I met my current instructor. And before I signed up with her I put her through the wringer with all sorts of questions that looking back I chuckle about. My point to all this is taking a lesson is not a bad thing IF you find an instructor that you like, you trust and will work within your desires. You gotta have a plan and lay it out with a perspective coach and see how they respond. Make them work a little for your $$$. At the end, if it is like what happened to me, you will be very happy!

As far as going through a swing change goes, the way I did it was I went to a week long golf school, that way the change was swift and not a drawn out process over months.

I had a lesson on Wednesday....my second as I start this process.....I played yesteday and things went pretty well until the last 3 holes and it got ugly and that just continued into today
What are you working on?

Clearing my throat, I think you had several lessons....:bulgy-eyes:

Short game lessons bro!

I was afraid too. Then I worked on my putting with Tim from SeeMore. I am now a believer in lessons.

I'm in the middle of a swing change and certain days are great, others can be brutal. My first few lessons were especially tough.

What are you working on?

Trying to flatten my swing and come more from the inside.....get rid of the over the top move. Yesteday I was doing pretty good and then all of the sudden I just couldn't get out of my own way.

I was in that situation in 2011. I had never taken lessons, but I got to the point where I just wanted to be better. I didn't want to settle for shooting decent scores, I wanted to throw in really good scores on a more consistent basis. The guy I went to didn't really change my swing all that much. We worked, and still do, more on keeping me from getting my weight back on my heels and pulling my front hip out too fast. Sure there are other things we work on but those are the 2 big issues that plague me.

I was in that situation in 2011. I had never taken lessons, but I got to the point where I just wanted to be better. I didn't want to settle for shooting decent scores, I wanted to throw in really good scores on a more consistent basis. The guy I went to didn't really change my swing all that much. We worked, and still do, more on keeping me from getting my weight back on my heels and pulling my front hip out too fast. Sure there are other things we work on but those are the 2 big issues that plague me.

I believe you were there when a LPGA told me this very thing. "Josh, you are just not going to get any better without changing some things".
She was right. While I am not playing this year, I look forward to this journey.

Ain't that the truth! Saw all kinds of good deals today but could not do it not knowing what next week holds. To say I am anxiously awaiting those announcements to start is a vast understatement!!

According to my pro I have the same issues.....especially the front hip issue...I get it out too quick and couple that with an over the top move and you got the recipe for some serious hitting the ball off the heel of the club

I believe you were there when a LPGA told me this very thing. "Josh, you are just not going to get any better without changing some things".
She was right. While I am not playing this year, I look forward to this journey.

sure was and she definitely was right. I took so much out of that round golf and it was probably the worst round I've played int he last calendar year. I know in my case I needed to change some things. I think people get nervous or scared some times because they thing the changes are going to be huge changes, and that is not always the case. One thing I found while working with a pro was that I liked practicing a lot more. It was much better going to the range knowing what I needed to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back