Bridgestone J15 Forged Wedges Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Bridgestone Golf, the #1 ball-fitter in golf and a recognized industry innovator, will reveal its new J15 Forged Wedges at the 2015 PGA Merchandise Show. The J15 Forged Wedges rely on a combination of 3 innovative technologies to ensure the ultimate in spin and versatility.

“Bridgestone is proud of the wedges that we have put into the market over the years, but we know based on our extensive R&D testing that our new J15 Forged line offer best in class spin and versatility,” said Josh Kinchen, Golf Clubs and Accessories Marketing Manager, Bridgestone Golf, Inc. “Feel and spin control have been vastly improved in going from our previous cast wedges to the new J15 Forged line. It speaks to our commitment to provide superior performing clubs to our loyal customers.”

The unmatched spin and versatility in the J15 Forged Wedges is achieved through 3 key technologies:

Sure Contact Sole
The Sure Contact Sole design of the J15 Forged Wedges offers unique heel side shaping that features a reduced profile and ensures forgiving accuracy from any lie on the course. Unlike other companies who hand grind the crucial heel side of the sole, Bridgestone’s unique forging process ensures this area is never touched by hand ensuring consistency.

Pro Groove Design
Bridgestone engineers focused their groove efforts on increasing the inner groove area for the J15 Forged Wedges, offering unmatched ability to channel dirt, water and debris away from the face, increasing spin and ensuring consistent ball to face contact from all lies.

Durable Heat Treatment
The J15 Forged Wedges have heat-treated faces for enhanced durability and longer club life. The unique heating process reinforces the face without compromising club feel or performance.

The J15 Forged Wedges feature a head length of 79 mm with a tour preferred teardrop shape. They are available in black oxide and satin finishes at lofts of 50, 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60. The J15 Forged Wedges will feature a street price of $119 and will available in both Right and Left Hand* versions at retail on February 1, 2015.

*Left Hand versions available in 52 and 58-degree lofts, black oxide finish only and not available until April 1, 2015.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-16%20at%207.55.42%20AM-L.png

Good looking wedge, J40 would be tough to improve upon IMO so it'll be interesting to see how these compare.

I can't say that I am impressed by the looks. I will take the J40 all day long.

Great looking wedges there, love the shaping of the sole, definitely want to try these out

Great price point.

Interesting loft options for lefties...

• Admin
Great looking wedges there, love the shaping of the sole, definitely want to try these out

Agree completely. One of the few wedges I am really looking forward to trying out. Love my RTX 2.0 wedges, but the sole on these is incredibly intriguing. Glad a whole bunch of THPers are going to get to test these out next week at the THP Event.

Good looking wedge here! I was just asking about these last night. Thanks JB!

Fantastic looking wedges, I will get a 58*.
Great price point.

Interesting loft options for lefties...
Maybe it's chosen that way to flow better with the CB iron set that they have available. 41/46/52/58 isn't a bad gapping and I'm sure they can be bent. At this point I think lefties are just glad to have these as options.

I think they are very good looking wedges, and will only add to the rest of the line. Anyone know what Shaft will be paired with them?

Sidenote: never mind i see spinner shaft, will be interesting if they will offer options as the spinners did not work well for me.

I will be getting intimately familiar with these soon. I like the head shape a lot.

Good looking wedge here. I'm looking forward to giving this these some swings in the future. Never had the opportunity to hit the J40 wedges, but with how highly they were thought of, I need to definitely give these J15 a try.

Looking forward to hearing more about these, as the J40 wedges rock my socks. Also, glad they're finally coming with a manufactured 50* instead of making people get bent. Will be curious how these wedges will gap from the various forged lines.

I like the looks of these and look forward to testing these out next week as my wedges are up for replacement

I can't believe I'm saying this about wedges, but I think these are the release I'm most excited about in 2015. I am absolutely itching to try these and see if they've improved on perfection.

These wedges look great. I like the options and the overall design is appealing. These are at the top of the list to try out and get some good feedback back to THP.

I am pretty excited for these. I was not a huge fan of the J40's but I have enjoyed some previous B'stone offerings. I will check these out for sure.

Good looking wedges - will be interested to give this a go and that sole grind looks quite good.

Just to add a few things here:

Grooves - They took a bunch of options to all of their tour pros and every single one chose the new pattern they are using. They are using deeper but fewer grooves. This allows for a negative value ratio which puts more grab on the ball from all positions, especially the rough. "Anyone can spin a ball from the middle of the fairway, but to be able to get more spin and control from the rough, where most players spend alot of time, was something that was very important for us"

Durable heat treatment - This will increase face firmness as well as durability. They took 100 swings with a J40 and a J15 and showed close up photos, the J15 looked basically brand new and the J40 had some small nicks and scratches. They really feel this is going to be a pretty great feature combined with the new groove pattern in allowing people to use these for a long time and not lose any effectiveness.

Here are a few photos I was able to get:

DSC_9653_zps8d764b15.jpg

DSC_9651_zps4dbe17bd.jpg

Black Oxide is very nice!!! Excited to get these in hand, I like my hopkins A LOT! But from the what I heard of the the J40s definitely excited to try these.

Interesting look with the textured surface where they took some heel relief. Nice to see they added a 50° option in there - assuming since they have some new iron configurations.

I love the Black finish and needless to say the sole design has me intrigued.

The Sure Contact Sole looks interesting. I'm very happy with my J40 wedges. It should be fun to see how the J15 stacks up.

Black looks sharp.

Look great, can't wait to try next week!!

Just another thing to get excited about for next weekend!! They look amazing

Back