Bubba Watson Skipping The Players

Rory and Lee. But they also were not members of the PGA Tour. Lee was #1 in the world at the time I believe. But this is much bigger IMO

This is what I took from it. Lee I believe also said that there were others outside of the majors that were bigger than the Players. Right or wrong it stirred things up.

Good for him. Lots going on at home, looks like he has his priorities straight.

I understand family time, but, I think when you win something like the Masters you should be at an event like The Players. personal opinion

I agree with you One-T. I can't imagine how difficult it may be to balance family with PGA golf, especially after winning the Master's, however, I believe that he should be in The Player's.

Why is skipping the Players a big deal but skipping say, this weekend not a big deal? I realize it is a more prestigious event, but it isn't a major....

The guy has said on several occasions that golf is NOT the most important thing in his life. For him his faith and family come first. His life, his decision. In an age when so damn many men walk away from their children I applaud him for putting his child first.

Same story every year... just a different player. yawn.

Quick question for everybody. Why did he feel the need to honor the schedule for the Zurich and not this one? He said he played in New Orleans because he felt he should honor his schedule after the Masters. Im not saying he should have to play in it, but I do struggle with the consistency.

Quick question for everybody. Why did he feel the need to honor the schedule for the Zurich and not this one? He said he played in New Orleans because he felt he should honor his schedule after the Masters. Im not saying he should have to play in it, but I do struggle with the consistency.

He was defending champ?

Perhaps, and I am just speculating here, he felt obligated as last years Zurich winner to defend the title this year

Having an infant in the house is not easy. I can't imagine how hard it is to adopt an infant and then continue to travel all over the country, so I totally support the guy with this decision. And if it's not hard - then you're probably doing something wrong.

Perhaps, and I am just speculating here, he felt obligated as last years Zurich winner to defend the title this year

I would have understood that if he had said that. He never mentioned being the defending champion, just that he wanted to honor his 2012 schedule. I thought that was definitely a tourney he would have passed over to be able to play at the Players.

You took the words out of my mouth.

I could see someone skipping out on the Zurich or Quail, but with the emphasis the PGA puts on the players to not have the current Masters Champion probably didn't go over well. Isn't the players one of those tournaments that can help someone qualify for the World Golf HOF, if my memory is correct that should speak to it's significance.

I understand family time, but, I think when you win something like the Masters you should be at an event like The Players. personal opinion

I agree. There are plenty of other weeks he could skip.

Or maybe he's finding keeping up his schedule harder than he thought it would. I think he has a right to change his mind.

I'm wondering if we will see him get a luxury RV to travel to events with family.

Or maybe he's finding keeping up his schedule harder than he thought it would. I think he has a right to change his mind.

I agree completely with you and applaud his commitment to his family

I actually commend him for this. Big time. Family first, and I'm sure 99.99% of Tour players would back this decision of his.

I know that I don't get to play much golf with a 2 year old at home, so I can certainly understand staying home and spending time with a small baby.

I would have understood that if he had said that. He never mentioned being the defending champion, just that he wanted to honor his 2012 schedule. I thought that was definitely a tourney he would have passed over to be able to play at the Players.
JB, I did actually hear him say that was the reason he was playing, because he was defending champ. Can't remember where, but it was on one of his interview spins he did after the Masters.

Bubba has said many times before that golf is not one of the most important things in his life. I know it's way early to be drawing conclusions from a couple of withdraws after adopting a child and winning a major but it wouldn't surprise me at all if within a year or two he retires based on his comments in the past.

I agree with this move. Family > Golf

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Back