Bubba Watson Skipping The Players

I would have understood that if he had said that. He never mentioned being the defending champion, just that he wanted to honor his 2012 schedule. I thought that was definitely a tourney he would have passed over to be able to play at the Players.

I did hear him say that he wanted to be at New Orleans because he was the defending champion...

Rory Sabbatini used to do it too I think.

He still does. DLIII does too for many events. There are quite a few players that do actually.

You know, I don't get why these guys catch so much flack for making these decisions. I commend Bubba for making the decision he did, just as I did when Phil skipped a few events a few years back to be with his family while Amy and his mother were battling cancer. The game of life is more important than any game we play, and that includes a game these guys make a living off of. Bubba's life has been flipped totally upside down since his Masters victory. And I am not even talking about the media demands, in addition to his responsibilities on the tour. He is a new father, Angie is a new mother, and I am sure it is a big adjustment for the both of them. If Bubba needs a little time to enjoy the fruits of his labor, than so be it. It will make him a better player in the BIG picture, having this little break, to enjoy a separation from the game of golf and more time with the family. We all need to recharge our batteries from time to time. Kudos to Bubba for recognizing that now was the time for him to do so.

I bet Karen Stupples could take Bubba in a bar fight. Chalk me up as one who thinks he should be playing The Players. Pretty important event. He's a little bizarre. While he can sure light it up at times, I wonder how much long term success he will have on the Tour.

Kevin

I bet Karen Stupples could take Bubba in a bar fight. Chalk me up as one who thinks he should be playing The Players. Pretty important event. He's a little bizarre. While he can sure light it up at times, I wonder how much long term success he will have on the Tour.Kevin
I agree with you on four of your five statements (the exception is #2). Now - I realize I'm using an extreme example here, but if he's less successful than Tiger on the course but more successful off it, I'd bet he'll take that trade.

When Phil did this early in the year I thought it was pretty admirable that they want to spend time with their families and skip larger events. It doesn't bother me at all and actually makes me root for them more. I'd love to see them playing in those events, but at least they won't be there for the right reasons.

its somewhat surprising but he does have a new kid and can't get to upset that he wants to spend time with his family

I think it should be ok for me to take vacation during one of the most important weeks of the year for my business. I have no doubt my partners would rather I took that week off rather than an ordinary week when not much is going on.

I know that I don't get to play much golf with a 2 year old at home, so I can certainly understand staying home and spending time with a small baby.

I think the difference is he is a full time professional golfer and you're not; so the expectation differs.

I think the difference is he is a full time professional golfer and you're not; so the expectation differs.

Why? At the end of the day playing golf is his JOB, other Dads take time off from work when they have a baby, why not him?

I can understand why he'd skip
"But Angie, 34, could not join the cheering fans. She nervously watched the drama unfold on television from Florida, where the baby is required to remain for now. (The couple live in Arizona but are renting a house in Orlando during the adoption process). "

The guy has not been "home" now for about a month, brand new baby boy. I'm sure there are requirements that need to be meet during the adoption process, plus the interviews, talk shows, defending his title, I'm sure the guy is stretched as far as he can go.

We all saw it at the New Orleans that he had other things on his mind, which I'm sure did wonders for his ADD on course issues.

Now a big tourney comes up that he's hasn't played well in; ya, I'd skip it too if I was as strung out as he was. What good would it do the tournament to watch Buddy shoot +5 on Thursday-Friday with his mind set? Give the reporters 30 minutes extra to talk about where his game is with everything going on? What good would it do or Bubba? I rather watch that guy that get's in as an alternate and is playing hungry to keep his tour card/get his 1st win than watch Bubba knowing his heart is some where else.

That little guy is worth more than gold to him and if he's smart he will skip a few more tourneys for the next month until things calm down and his family can go home. Then Bubba can be Bubba again, and I like watching some real Bubba golf :)

meh. The tournament just got 10% classier and 5% better mannered.

I can't help but think if he had not won the masters he would be playing.

Why? At the end of the day playing golf is his JOB, other Dads take time off from work when they have a baby, why not him?

+1, my thoughts exactly, golf is still just his job so he can decide when he wants to work or not. I do think though, if the players is going to grow moving forward it needs to work hard to keep guys at the top of the game attending and playing. Like Rory and Westwood before.

I agree, but there is a limitation to the time off most new Dad's take and also considerations for your particular job's responsibilities. Correlating that to what I consider his job responsibilities I believe not playing the TPC is outside of those limitations. It's been weeks since they have had the baby.

You really can't compare the two, so it is a moot point, but I believe he is "outside" of the expectations for the position of Master's Champion by not playing. JMO.

EDIT: More than anything my original comment was addressing the fact the poster's job and Bubba's are not comparable. Same here.

I really just don't see it as a big deal like some people do I guess. I don't blame him for wanting time with their adopted child, I imagine there is a bit of emotion there since they knew this was the only way they could ever have kids and have been in the process for a while, kind of a non issue for me.

I agree, but there is a limitation to the time off most new Dad's take and also considerations for your particular job's responsibilities. Correlating that to what I consider his job responsibilities I believe not playing the TPC is outside of those limitations. It's been weeks since they have had the baby.

You really can't compare the two, so it is a moot point, but I believe he is "outside" of the expectations for the position of Master's Champion by not playing. JMO.

EDIT: More than anything my original comment was addressing the fact the poster's job and Bubba's are not comparable. Same here.

You're right, they aren't comparable, he has already made enough from his job that he never has to work a day in his life again if he chooses not to, where I will be working the rest of mine and not by my personal choice.

I took off 6 months when my daughter was born, and Bubba has repeatedly said that golf is not a priority in his life. I'd be surprised if we see him play again before the Open

Why did he play Augusta?

Why did he play Augusta?
My thoughts exactly. Hadnt he just adopted the Child a week before that one?

Why did he play Augusta?

No one can say but Bubba, but this reminds me a lot of the arguments last year when McIlroy and Westwood decided not to pay a tournament here in the states.

No one can say but Bubba, but this reminds me a lot of the arguments last year when McIlroy and Westwood decided not to pay a tournament here in the states.

Your right. Truth is, I dont have a problem with anybody skipping anything. It is their life to do with what they please. I just found the reasoning interesting is all. You just adopted a new child which is amazing and want to be with your family...Great. I think that is wonderful, but why play the Masters? Why play and defend the Zurich? Why not take those times off?

Nobody owes me an explanation, but I do find that as soon as players get to a certain level on tour, their schedule shrinks like crazy and they no longer consider giving back to the same tour that gave them the ability to stay home. Just my thought at times and certainly a generalization.

Back