How cold is too cold

Wow you guys, 50??? For me it depends on the wind. If the wind is minimal then low 30's is still very comfortable.

Played 18 in 39 degrees and it was great, just needed 2 layers.

It is 100 percent dependent on the wind out here. The harder the wind blows in the winter the colder it is, and it will just rip through ya. With that said honestly if its under 50 out here I rather be inside lol

I tap, therefore I am

If I can play (i.e. don't have to bundle up so much I can't swing), I'm playing. I've played a lot at or slightly below freezing. I just wear a regular glove on my left hand and a rain glove on my right. Because I walk I rarely have to worry about being cold. If really cold I'll wear a hoodie and walk with my hands in my pocket, wear ear muffs, and have a hot coffee in my awesome Contigo mug from Costco that keeps it hot until I'm done.

I've played scrambles in silly conditions (course holds them until the snow's too deep. Not until there's snow, until it's too deep) but that's not really a round of golf. Today was pretty close to as much as I can take anymore, no matter how long the winter is going to be. 5*C, and gusting winds - wind chill was supposedly 1*. Stiff, not frozen but uncomfortable, and my hands don't work all that well when it's that cold.

I'd need to check, I know I was "playing" mid-december last year and it was COLD. T-shirt, sweater, bigger sweater, and a shell over that. Long underwear a must. There is occasionally alcohol consumed during these events.

Lol. Lift, shovel and place. Actually it snowed here a bit Friday while I was golfing. I was thrilled (no sarcasm. The only thing I don't like about winter is only being able to hit a few times a week at an indoor range).

Played 18 in 39 degrees and it was great, just needed 2 layers.

That is definitely still doable. Just have to keep the hands warm between shots.

Tapatalking on my iPhone!

It all depends. My wife and I played Wildhorse in Gothenburg NE the other day. We teed off at 38 deg, sun and no wind. The forecast was for sunny and 55 with a light breeze. On the first hole, the sun went away and the winds picked up. We played all day in clouds (no sun), 20 mph winds, and the high temp was 40 deg. Boy were we fooled on the forcast.

My wife was not happy but we did have fun.

Weatherman was just a little of, lol. I really need to hit that course one day, but hope the weather's a little better than that.

That is definitely still doable. Just have to keep the hands warm between shots.

Tapatalking on my iPhone!

Strange, I noticed my hands were uncomfortable for the first few minutes and never thought about it after that...

If I can play (i.e. don't have to bundle up so much I can't swing), I'm playing. I've played a lot at or slightly below freezing. I just wear a regular glove on my left hand and a rain glove on my right. Because I walk I rarely have to worry about being cold. If really cold I'll wear a hoodie and walk with my hands in my pocket, wear ear muffs, and have a hot coffee in my awesome Contigo mug from Costco that keeps it hot until I'm done.

Atta boy.

Usually about 36* or so. As long as I don't have to deal with inconsistent frost delays, frozen patches, etc... I'm good. It's usually kind of nice because the course will be empty.

2011 Winter in MD was great! Fortunately, we only had a few cold days.

But the lowest temp I've golfed in started out at 50*, then as the sun went down and the wind picked up ended up being 35* or so....Not doing that again....Layers didn't help, and playing blades felt like my hands were going to break lol!

We don't get that much cold weather here but I usually play 1 to 3 rounds with temps in the 20s, greens frozen, and sometimes windy every winter. There will be a few more rounds in the 30s and plenty in the 40s each winter.

If you don't play golf in the winter then you don't play in Scotland mind you summer is my favourite day of the year in Scotland haha:act-up:

If you don't play golf in the winter then you don't play in Scotland mind you summer is my favourite day of the year in Scotland haha:act-up:

Amen!

Quick guide to the season in Scotland. Get up and look outside. Is it currently raining? Yes means it'll be cold and wet. No means it'll be even colder and wet later.

Its not really the cold ​that gets me its the cold plus the wind. When its windy and cold is when I stay home.

Its not really the cold ​that gets me its the cold plus the wind. When its windy and cold is when I stay home.

It really is the wind that makes it bad (just like humidity makes 30°+ days bad in summer). I have to wear ear muffs (well, those 1080 things) or I get a killer headache in the cold.

Agree that wind makes it worse. I'll play if the course is open, which usually means I play a handful of rounds in the low 30's. It's never that bad until you factor in the breeze. It's not really golf though. Just use it for practice, to review something, or to get out of the house.

I've played while it's snowing for school. I hate playing once my hands get cold and the wind bites through my clothes.

We're pretty much never above 50F from here on. Driving me insane.

As I posted earlier, we play here until you can't find the ball, but what signals the end of "golf" for the season is when the greens freeze. There's something about watching a beautiful SW bounce 30' in the air and over the green that starts me laughing every time. The bump and run assumes more importance late in the year.

I've enjoyed the fact that some water hazards become much less penal in the cold temps.

If the wind is down I'll play well down into the 30's. I played all winter this year, even on the snow at times.

Man, I used to play in the 20's and 30's in DC and Baltimore when I lived up there, one time we played a course called Chaledon in a darn blizzard. Now I wouldn't touch a club if it's less than 40 probably and I'd be hard pressed to get out if it was that cold lol.

WTG Due, show them what us Huskers are made of!!!

Back