Latest Golf Ball Compression/Hardness Ratings - 9/8/2011

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
Thanks for sharing this chart.

Great find, thanks!

That's cool to read, thanks for digging this up!

What does MPI mean?

Nice link!

Am I reading this right, that the new Nikes 20XI-Xs have a compression value of 97? That seems crazy high. And they have a cover hardness of 83, which is easily to softest of all of the balls tested. To give a reference the TaylorMade Pentas have a compression value of 80/81 and a hardness value of 86 which was the next softest on the list.

I think that is how Nike Advertises their ball. The Rezn core allows for high compression/low spin off driver, while the soft cover allows the ball to be soft around the greens.

I guess the numbers show the technology works.

I wish I knew what all of those numbers meant haha

Thanks for the link, a lot of interesting info there.

Am I reading this right, that the new Nikes 20XI-Xs have a compression value of 97? That seems crazy high. And they have a cover hardness of 83, which is easily to softest of all of the balls tested. To give a reference the TaylorMade Pentas have a compression value of 80/81 and a hardness value of 86 which was the next softest on the list.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they had a compression rating of 116....

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they had a compression rating of 116....

You are totally right! I quoted the wrong numbers. But still as a comparison the Nikes 116 vs Penta 103, and cover hardness of 73 vs 76. It is interesting. Does anyone know what the benefit of having such a high compression ball?

You are totally right! I quoted the wrong numbers. But still as a comparison the Nikes 116 vs Penta 103, and cover hardness of 73 vs 76. It is interesting. Does anyone know what the benefit of having such a high compression ball?

The traditional logic is low compression balls are for slower swing speeds, and high compression balls are for high swing speeds. I don't know how it all works, but basically a high compression ball with a high swing speed will lead to the best distance, lower compression leads to too much spin and less distance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, thats just how it was explained to me.

funny...my two top balls right now are the Penta and E5...both VERY similar in this compression tests "specs"

The traditional logic is low compression balls are for slower swing speeds, and high compression balls are for high swing speeds. I don't know how it all works, but basically a high compression ball with a high swing speed will lead to the best distance, lower compression leads to too much spin and less distance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, thats just how it was explained to me.

I think you are right about that. I know that when I went to do the Bridgestone fitting they said that the B330 RX wasnt a great ball for me because it would start to knuckle, butt he funny thing is I really like that ball. It seems like the Nike 20XIs are going to be really great for pros and very high compression people, but that it is not a ball for the masses.

I think the theory of the Nike is they have a high compression core, and soft outer layers giving you the best of both worlds.

Come colder weather, this will be even more helpful. Lower compression balls tend to go a bit further in the cold than the harder compression ones

I also don't understand those number, but nice to see. if someone can explain it further, I'll greatly appreciate it. :)

I believe that that cover firmness/softness determine ball spin while the core compression determines ball speed (depending on swing speed of course). Lower compression balls allow players slower swing speeds to compress the ball more easily.

Callaway Tour I(Z) wins again.

Back