Lexi Thompson on Golf Digest

Lexi Thompson on Golf Digest

• Great cover, no problem with it at all!

Votes: 66 41.8%
  • Don't like it, could have conveyed their message in a different manner.

Votes: 33 20.9%
  • Don't really care either way.

Votes: 59 37.3%

• Total voters
I am naturally in this camp. That said, it had been a learning experience having a daughter. It's different and goes beyond role modeling - body image type issues are real, even for young girls. Yes, we are the real role models, but all the other stuff either helps or is something we have to work to combat. None of this stuff exists with my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well said.

If they issue is focused on her workouts, why couldn't she have kept her sports bra on for the cover photo? That would have eliminated this entire discussion.

But that's exactly the point - nobody would be talking about the Golf Digest cover....

I agree with this. I think a sports bra would have been more appropriate. I think this seems like GD is trying to sexualize the LPGA players. I know golf, in general, is trying to appeal to more audiences but there are still many rules in place to keep it looking professional (collared shirts, no shorts, etc.). I never pictured the PGA or LPGA trying to use sex to sell.

forgive me if some of this has already been pondered.

1) would anyone care if a guy like rory, camilo villegas, or one of the other guys who is also a gym rat posed shirtless?

2) would anyone care if this was on a women's golf magazine cover?

attractive people sell better than unattractive people. if you have a problem with sexualizing lpga players, then let's disallow all skirts, all tanktops, all shorts, and let's mandate pants and loose-fitting polos. no more makeup. no painted nails. let's do away with any trace of femininity and go with a completely heterogeneous sensibility. God forbid anyone celebrate the female form. i find nothing tasteless about the way this was done.

if i can get on board with any kind of gripe about oversexualizing female athletes, then we can talk about anna kournikova, natalie gulbis, or lolo jones. i could be way off base, but i feel like these athletes, while more skilled and gifted than most people, are nowhere near the top of their respective games, and yet received an imbalance of attention and press based solely on their looks. those examples strike me as pure marketing and "sex selling," and pushing the brand over the product.

She looks good and fit. I see girls in their early 20's wearing sports bras at the gym all the time. It's a fitness and power issue I wouldn't expect Her to be wearing a polo. If she was 15 and looking like this then I would question it but she's not that little girl anymore.

I am naturally in this camp. That said, it had been a learning experience having a daughter. It's different and goes beyond role modeling - body image type issues are real, even for young girls. Yes, we are the real role models, but all the other stuff either helps or is something we have to work to combat. None of this stuff exists with my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I havent reached fatherhood yet but I can respect that and understand the body image stuff, but with that said most adolescent girls are never going to see Golf Digest coverage, but will still find plenty of bad imagery and adult conversation on channels like ABC family. We can't seriously expect Golf Digest thinks that one issue a year is going to have a target audience of adolescents, when 'wholesome' family channels talk about sex or other situations on the regular. I guess my rant is there are way worse examples of stuff your children are direct targets for, and Golf Digest isnt one of them and I doubt is targeting them. Full disclosure again, I have no children yet, maybe I'll feel differently but I feel like I already see in other places I think it definitely doesn't belong.

What about this magazine cover would make her a poor role model?

I get the protective daddy thing, but I'm not seeing it. Treating your caddie like sh!t, using PED's to cheat, throwing fits, etc, are all things that I'd consider issues indicating a poor role model. Here you have a massively successful young woman that by all acounts is a pretty good person almost showing something the majority of the world's population sees every day. Her accomplishments and demeanor far outweigh a magazine cover that isn't even all that overtly sexual.

We certainly didn't get many complaints about a bikini wearing Blair O'Neal when those ads popped. And I'd argue they were more sexual in nature than this. Hell, I'm pretty sure I saw that as an avatar here on more than a few occasions.

michelle wie.jpg

I'm sorry, but I really think GD missed the boat with this cover. The pic I attached is in the gallery of pics in this article. To me, this pic of Michelle Wie would have been a much better choice for the cover. In this pic it is clear that Michelle is extremely fit. Her attire is super classy yet very sexy. She is holding a golfclub. Nothing about this pic screams "AIRBRUSH". This pic on the cover would absolutely catch my eye if I was browsing a news stand, but the one they chose would just blend in with the hundreds of fitness magazine covers on the news stand and I wouldn't so much as consider that it may be a magazine about golf or any other magazine I would buy.

This on the cover would have still grabbed the attention of the males they were targeting, would have easily been tied to an article about fitness, and wouldn't have had so many parents worried about how to explain or hide it from their young daughters.

Lexi is badass - but yeah she can still be sexy just wearing her sports bra.

Dude's aren't "naked" with their shirts off, that's the difference.

I get the protective daddy thing, but I'm not seeing it. Treating your caddie like sh!t, using PED's to cheat, throwing fits, etc, are all things that I'd consider issues indicating a poor role model. Here you have a massively successful young woman that by all acounts is a pretty good person almost showing something the majority of the world's population sees every day. Her accomplishments and demeanor far outweigh a magazine cover that isn't even all that overtly sexual.

We certainly didn't get many complaints about a bikini wearing Blair O'Neal when those ads popped. And I'd argue they were more sexual in nature than this. Hell, I'm pretty sure I saw that as an avatar here on more than a few occasions.

Right on the money. I was thinking about Blair as well when I saw this.

I really don't care either way. I typically leave the current months Golf mag and Golf Digest mag on my living room table for guests to read if they way. I will probably just put this one under the Golf mag. I had to do the same with last months because I didn't want that ridiculous picture of Rory looking back at me all the time.

I don't really care. It doesn't reflect poorly on Lexi as a person IMO, but I don't really think it is an appropriate thing for GD to put on the front cover.

I'm most concerned with how realistic the photo is, like I said earlier, that is not the Lexi I've seen before.

Blair wasn't on twitter talking about representing fitness and #GirlPower. Blair isn't a golfer in the same class or with the same exposure. The fact that she thinks taking off her shirt for a quick buck is representing #GirlPower, makes her a poor role model IMO. Too bad Annika isn't playing so my daughter can see an example of how to handle yourself on and off the course.

I think this is in line with previous GD covers, May 2014, Holly Saunders cover, the december 2013 china cover, etc. Also the topless male sports figures all over other magazine covers.

It's a weird cover.

She's cute. But it's weird.

Lots of discussion though. So I guess GD achieved their goal.

Blair wasn't on twitter talking about representing fitness and #GirlPower. Blair isn't a golfer in the same class or with the same exposure. The fact that she thinks taking off her shirt for a quick buck is representing #GirlPower, makes her a poor role model IMO. Too bad Annika isn't playing so my daughter can see an example of how to handle yourself on and off the course.

Guess we'll disagree no matter what lol. Everything I've seen of her, both on and off the course, seem to indicate she's a pretty good person. Couple that with the drive and work ethic it takes to get where she is at her age and I think she's far from a poor role model.

Lexi is badass - but yeah she can still be sexy just wearing her sports bra.

Dude's aren't "naked" with their shirts off, that's the difference.

culture tells us that dudes aren't naked with their shirts off, but in reality topless is topless regardless of its man or woman.

skibumgolfer makes some really good points about this perception

The GD covers have been awful for a while. The recent one with Rory was laughable. Yet this seems to be their MO now, as they keep trying outlandish stuff to stay relevant.

I agree. At 53, I'm wearing socks older than she is.........

And these girls wonder why when they post pics on Twitter and Instagram, the lowlife's come out of the woodwork to make and post remarks they should not be making. I'll stop at this point...........

Guess we'll disagree no matter what lol. Everything I've seen of her, both on and off the course, seem to indicate she's a pretty good person. Couple that with the drive and work ethic it takes to get where she is at her age and I think she's far from a poor role model.

Maybe that's why it gets under my skin a bit. She didn't need to go down this route.

culture tells us that dudes aren't naked with their shirts off, but in reality topless is topless regardless of its man or woman.

skibumgolfer makes some really good points about this perception

57802198.jpg

no but blair o'neal is best known as a contestant on Big Break and as a "model" via social media using sex appeal to sell her brand with a golf career that doesn't appear will put her on the tour full time.

the argument being made here is about sex sells so how can one use blair oneal as an example while getting on Lexi for this cover.

i don't see how lexi is a bad role model. there are lots of examples in the entertainment industry that represent bad role models and give women a bad name and i wouldn't put lexi or for that part any golfer on tour in that bad role model class, other than maybe Jessica Korda firin her caddie in the middle of a round.

Again with the caveat that girls aren't the target audience, the message here to them is pretty clear - "it doesn't matter if you are one of the best female golfers in the world, you won't get on the cover of a magazine or be recognized for any accomplishments as an athlete unless you show off your rack." If she wore a sports bra that showed nearly as much the message subtly changes to "take care of your body and work hard..." Believe me when I say I would have put big money 10 years ago on me never uttering these types of sentiments ever, but my views have evolved to reflect how I see young girls responding to this type of imagery.

Maybe that's why it gets under my skin a bit. She didn't need to go down this route.

I am pretty impartial to this. I see it both ways, the cover as it stands is definitely causing a lot of buzz, which the magazine needs. However, I don't think it's going to get people to buy it. I think people will go pick it up off a rack somewhere look at the cover and then put it back down, I am not sure this will actually boost sales.

On the other hand, had they put her in a golf outfit or even a sports bra and put her in a super athletic pose where she showed off some muscle, would that get the buzz they are getting now?

In the end though, buzz or not will this sell magazines? I still say no. People don't buy magazines anymore. Who needs them when you can get all your news from social media and the internet in real time when it happens, not a month or weeks later when the actual magazine is published.

Also, the debate about male vs. female being topless seems silly to me. It's socially acceptable for a man to be topless, and is generally not considered provocative or distracting.

I still don't understand how anybody taking their clothes off makes them poor role model.

Everybody understands that an athlete's body is a massive reason for success. Why not show off their temple.

I still don't understand how anybody taking their clothes off makes them poor role model.

Would you want a stripper to be a role model for your child?

I am pretty impartial to this. I see it both ways, the cover as it stands is definitely causing a lot of buzz, which the magazine needs. However, I don't think it's going to get people to buy it. I think people will go pick it up off a rack somewhere look at the cover and then put it back down, I am not sure this will actually boost sales.

On the other hand, had they put her in a golf outfit or even a sports bra and put her in a super athletic pose where she showed off some muscle, would that get the buzz they are getting now?

In the end though, buzz or not will this sell magazines? I still say no. People don't buy magazines anymore. Who needs them when you can get all your news from social media and the internet in real time when it happens, not a month or weeks later when the actual magazine is published.

Also, the debate about male vs. female being topless seems silly to me. It's socially acceptable for a man to be topless, and is generally not considered provocative or distracting.

I am with you. It will get some social media attention but in the end likely won't sell any subscriptions. Maybe it helps with thier ad buys but i doubt it. I wonder how much Lexi is getting paid. I don't see how this helps her long term.

Back