Mike Rice - Rutgers BB Coach

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm all about hard nose coaching but he WAY crossed the line a long time ago.

The guy sure seems like a total douche, but if you put a lot of coaches outburst on a loop like this I imagine it could look really bad as well. I think what he did was totally wrong, and should be fired, but how many other coaches in major D1 programs have done this sort of stuff.

Unbelievable isn't it. Wasn't the assistant who recorded that video and showed the AD later fired? Some real sh*t going down over on the East coast. And now they're joining my Big 10 :( Shameful.

how about the AD thinking he could "rehabilitate" him, he should be forced out too

It was interesting to hear on the radio that if he had 2 national titles or a bunch of final four appearances, that he would have a lot more support than he does now

I wish one of those players would have taken him out. What a douche.

Unbelievable isn't it. Wasn't the assistant who recorded that video and showed the AD later fired? Some real sh*t going down over on the East coast. And now they're joining my Big 10 :( Shameful.

It was the guy in charge of player development that did the recording and showed it to the school, etc.

Rutgers AD is plain dumb for not firing him when he initially found out, looks very bad now. No way this would stay private forever. Glad to see Rice get canned this morning.

I wish one of those players would have taken him out. What a douche.

Seriously. Throw that basketball at my face one more time, see what happens

worse than Bobby Knight?

I am all for a coach being tough on his players, but that video footage was way over the line. I saw the interview with the assistant and Rutgers can probably expect a wrongful dismissal lawsuit on their hands. But in the AD's defense and the assistant coach admitted it in the interview - when the AD would sit in on practices, the coach's demeanor and treatment of players changed. As soon as the AD left it was right back to the abuse. So this coach knew exactly what he was doing and knew it was wrong.

The good news is that the coach was fired today. I doubt he is able to get coaching gig in the college ranks again and since Governor Christie has voiced his opinion - I wouldn't be surprised to see a criminal investigation.

I am all for a coach being tough on his players, but that video footage was way over the line. I saw the interview with the assistant and Rutgers can proably expect a wrongful dismissal lawsuit on their hands. But in the AD's defense and the assistant coach admitted it in the interview - when the AD would sit in on practices, the coach's demeanor and treatment of players changed. As soon as the AD left it was right back to the abuse. So this coach knew exactly what he was doing and knew it was wrong.

The good news is that the coach was fired today. I doubt he is able to get coaching gig in the college ranks again and since Governor Christie has voiced his opinion - I wouldn't be surprised to see a criminal investigation.

The AD was on Mad Dogg Radio yesterday around 6 and gave a pretty good interview about this. He talked about the assistant and the lawsuit that they were going to have from him and he called that a farse. Said that they never fired him, that he was called in for a meeting on a Monday to go over some things between he and the coach and he didn't show. His contract was expiring so they just let it expire.

As far as the coach goes, like you mentioned the AD said whenever he was in the arena he never saw this. Whether he was down on the court, or times when he would watch from the upper level where he couldn't be noticed. But he did say that of course when your boss walks in a room, no matter your profession, you are always going to be on your best behavior. However he has seen more footage then what he have seen and said that a decision would be coming very soon on his job. He sounded like he knew what was going to happen today when the coach got fired.

I think it's awful. I'm not sure I'd tolerate it if I was on the team or a parent, but I don't know.

Far far worse then Bobby Knight.

He didnt choke anyone

and they were a good team back then which makes life better usually and keeps people quiet, I wonder how much of what went on hasnt been told?

At least he's winning games:bulgy-eyes:

worse than Bobby Knight?

Light years IMO.

BK also taught life lessons, this guy is just a tool.

I coached by a rule, I never treated kids any way I wouldn't want MY kids treated. You can coach them hard and get in their chili without being a total ass-clown.

Far far worse then Bobby Knight.

The late Neil Reed begs to differ. For those who don't remember him, he was an IU player seen on video being choked by Knight.

Light years IMO.

BK also taught life lessons, this guy is just a tool.

I coached by a rule, I never treated kids any way I wouldn't want MY kids treated. You can coach them hard and get in their chili without being a total ass-clown.

While I agree Knight did a bunch, he wasnt around during the cell phone camera days.

If Rice is around back then, do we ever find out about this since it was only brought out due to the videotape? If he was running a major program, is there as much of a backlash?

If technology like we have now existed back in Bobby's days, I could argue things could look worse for him.

While I agree Knight did a bunch, he wasnt around during the cell phone camera days.

If Rice is around back then, do we ever find out about this since it was only brought out due to the videotape?

If technology like we have now existed back in Bobby's days, I could argue things could look worse for him.

I agree. Also just because a guy wins does not give him an excuse for using these kinds of coaching methods. While I like Bobby Knight I'm sure if there was the social media of today when he was in his big years at Indy, there would be lots of issues.

I agree. Also just because a guy wins does not give him an excuse for using these kinds of coaching methods. While I like Bobby Knight I'm sure if there was the social media of today when he was in his big years at Indy, there would be lots of issues.
Exactly, winning definitely doesnt excuse it, but it sure makes it easier for things to be hush hush based on what history has showed

Exactly, winning definitely doesnt excuse it, but it sure makes it easier for things to be hush hush based on what history has showed

sure does. Oh well. It sucks that this happened. He did go to anger management and see some psychiatrists. Hopefully if he ever gets a job again it doesn't happen anymore.

I like Bobby Knight. However, he choked a player at mid-court in front of a crowd. Lord knows what he did at practice. In todays era of Social Media and instant news, that kind of stuff would be all over the media within seconds of it happened, regardless of being behind closed doors or not.

sure does. Oh well. It sucks that this happened. He did go to anger management and see some psychiatrists. Hopefully if he ever gets a job again it doesn't happen anymore.

yeah I gotta think he resurfaces somewhere down the road

I like Bobby Knight. However, he choked a player at mid-court in front of a crowd. Lord knows what he did at practice.

Thats the queue for A.I.

Glad to see he got canned because what he did was horrible, but the guy was a good recruiter. If Rutgers gets a guy as good at recruiting as him, they'll be in great shape.

I like Bobby Knight. However, he choked a player at mid-court in front of a crowd. Lord knows what he did at practice. In todays era of Social Media and instant news, that kind of stuff would be all over the media within seconds of it happened, regardless of being behind closed doors or not.

sure would be.

yeah I gotta think he resurfaces somewhere down the road

I'm sure he will.

Back