Muirfield Village, Dublin Ohio

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
So finally got to play here after living in Columbus for 32 years.
To say i was a little nervous this am would be an understatement.
I was playing with a great guy, whos is very easy going and a blast to golf with, so that eased the tensions nicely.
It was also my first round with a caddie - and boy did he know what he was doing! clubbing me up, down, having me hit punches, draws, cuts... but most importantly reading putts - and explaining why they broke the way they did.
I am not a solid green reader - so to see him read and see the results were fantastic.

So as i arrived to the gate this am, the security guard checks me in- hands me a little card saying no cell phones; only in designated areas. i turned it off and threw it in the bag. On 3, Jim said if i wanted to snap some pics, go ahead just dont do it blatantly. So i snuck in a few and will try my best to explain the holes.
First of all, the course is amazing, ive walked it countless times at the Memorial Tournament and always wanted to tee it up here.
The elevation changes and undulations are unique for a central ohio course. There are challenging tee shots and the approaches required laser accuracy.

We played the Blue tees, 6739 yards, 74.1/148. Not too bad distance wise, but definately the hardest slope and rating ive ever played.
I usually enter all my strokes into my golfshot app on the iphone - but since my phone was "banned" i took diligent notes on my scorecard to remember each hole.

Hole 1 - Par 4 - 419
slight dogleg right - nice fairway bunkers at 230-260 - green surrounded with bunkers
I push my drive right off the tee, in between two bunkers - with a decent lie. Hit a 7 iron in - which starts right and hangs right - little short of green. Wedge on - for a look at par from 10 feet - good read - little too firm - hangs right , tap in bogey

Hole 2 - Par 4 - 411
Straight on Par 4 - water running up right side - and around green. I push my drive, maybe a cut, right again - and it hits the rough and bounces towards a red stake. I think im up - Fro (caddie) starts walking that way.
we get down there and hes found me - in the creek but sitting up on a grassy island. he looks at me, and my white shorts and says " you can drop up there, or try a wedge off it, thats a one in a million lie in here."
I said what would you do, he said you're 160 out - id hit an iron at the green, you can pick it, take a little mud. I said ill hit it.
I pull 7 iron - but i look up to follow it and didnt stay down - made decent enough contact to pop it up run it 80 yards up and its rolling towards creek again... but stops on the brick wall.
Fro pulls his phone and says i gotta get a pic of that, never seen a ball sit up like that, especially twice. you are really lucky!
I get free relief - 80 yards to pin - stick a 3/4 56 wedge to 4 feet - drain the par.
Fro says so let me get this straight - off the water, off the wall, par. best par ive seen on this hole all year.

HAHAH - make all the fun you want - i was walking lighter to the 3rd teebox

Hole 3 - Par 4 - 374 - Handicap 1
Definately one of my fav holes. Tee shot has to be over water - through a nice tree line to the seperated fairway. its tight - and a hook is wet, a push is OB.
Then you have one of the hardest approaches out there - over a body of water to a tight green sloping front, bunkers all off the back. pin is tucked right and long.
He recommends a 3w, which i hit straight but not far. leaves me 170 in.. I hit a 6 iron, not high enough - it was real thin. gets across the water with a skip off the surface the last 4 feet. unreal.
I chip up well - leaves me another par look from 8 feet - but i missed the putt. tap in bogey. Which im REALLY happy with considering i almost took penalty.

3rdapproach.jpg

3rd Hole - Approach to Green

Hole 4 - Par 3 - 189
Wind is in our face a bit, pins tucked back and left - with bunkers obviously everwhere for a long par 3 (208 to pin)
I could hit a 5 iron to the front, but id have a monster putt... i decide hybrid can draw it up nicely to the back left corner of green where the pin is.
I hit it good - its drawing too much - ends up 10 yards left, and probably 10 yards below the hole - i hit a blind 60* wedge up - too hard - rolls to the back fringe.. 2 putt bogey. phew.

Hole 5 - Par 5 - 505
Jack really knows how to make some challenging par 5's. There is not an easy birdie out here.Those that have seen it - its the dog leg right - with two fairways. sepereated by a creek running down the middle. which then protects the whole front of the green.. short and you're wet, long and your in sand (jail), hell mishit your layup and you could be wet in the middle of either fairway.
I cut the driver right again, punch out to the 2nd fairway which is over water ( i cant stay on the right side, where you want to be) so my next approach is going over the water. I have an 8 iron distance - but i dont hit it hard enough or high enough, into the bank, into the water. I drop, with penalty - hit a pitch up, and FRO lines me up for a 12 footer that i Hole for a tough bogey.

Hole 6 - Par 4 - 383
Another tough hole - tee shot is tight - fairway bunkers guarding both side of the fairway - and the appraoch again has a body of water protecting the front of the green.
I hit my first fairway with the driver, to leave me a good distance in - PW, but i again hit the bank and end up wet. This pitch up is not too good - 15 footer, i miss, tap in double bogey. my first double of the day.

6thapproach.jpg

6th Hole - approach

Hole 7 - Par 5 - 548
A long damn par 5 - thats slightly elevated making it longer.
I hit one of my longest drives of the day, right down the middle. Hit a 5 iron to layup - leaves me a wedge in. Wedge pushes right... make a good chip up - for a look at par from a 6 feet - but i miss the breaker. bogey.

Hole 8 - Par 3 - 160
Protected all around with sand - and its DEEP. the deepest bunkers ive seen - if you are in them its literally 12 feet high to get out. yikes. Good yardage though - just hit a nice easy 7 iron to the front - made a really nice lag putt from 40 feet - and they gave me the 3 footer for par.

8thpar3160.jpg

8th Hole - par 3 - 160 yards

Hole 9 - Par 4 - 387
Downhill on the approach - i draw the drive - to the first cut left. 8 iron in - but it starts right and stays there - get the GIR - but its gonna be a long birdie putt. i hit it too firm - and make the 6 foot come backer for par (which i give FRO all the credit in the world for, he lines em up great!)

9thapproach.jpg

9th hole - approach

9thapproachzoom.jpg

9th hole approach 2

Hole 10 - Par 4 - 423
#2 handicap

Uphill all the way - and its LOOOONG. I hit a good drive but leaves me a 6 iron in. Not really a comfort approach - but ill take it - push it right - pin high and im safe - good angle in - chip up - and 2 putt for bogey

Hole 11 - Par 5 - 522
Another split fairway par 5 - drive needs to be right on the first fairway to give you good angle into the 2nd fairway - to set you up for a good angle into the green. LOL
I cut the drive right - and short - need 190 on the fly to get over the creek seperating fairways, and make the 2nd fairway to give me any chance of getting on in 3. I hit a hybrid from the rough - but its low and thin... into the creek. Drop - lay up - get on in 5 and two putt. double. crap.

11thpar52nd.jpg

11th Hole - Par 5 - 2nd shot

11thpar5green2.jpg

11th hole - Par 5 - Green approach

Hole 12 - Par 3 - 160
Tricky shot - wind was blowing in on us - but its downhill. To a really shallow green. Protected all around with a huge body of water. Then a steep bank behind the green and some bunkers for s***s and giggles.
Hadnt been striking irons too crisp today - so i was going a choke down 6 iron, trying for 165 on the fly.

I hit it too clean - and its long - steep sidehill lie to a downhill green - thats sloping towards the water. i open up the 60 as far as i can - and aim INTO the bank - it hits the bank- kicks out 90 degrees onto the fringe - and Rolls across the green onto the fringe. It was a GOOD shot according to Doc and Fro, but i was very unhappy with the result.

2 putt bogey.

12thpar3171.jpg

12th - Par 3 - 171

Hole 13 - Par 4 - 405
Slight dogleg left - uphill a touch off the tee.
I draw a drive to the first cut left - and pure a 7 iron to the front of the green. just off. chipped up to a tap in par. good up and down.

Hole 14 - Par 4 - 336
Interesting hole.... short - but oh so challenginge. Downhill off the tee - to another split fairway with creek seperating it. Want to be left side of fairway to have the best angle into the green, another short tiny green - thats angled just right so the approach from the right is nigh impossible..
Sure enough i hit a 3w to the right side of the fairway. Im left with 140-145 to hold the green. i hit the 8 iron too hard - into the bunker. hit a good high 60 out of the sand - it hits fringe, right where i aimed, and rolls off to front of green. I putt up and take bogey.
hardest bunker shot on the course im told.

14thpar4approach.jpg

14th - par 4 - approach

Hole 15 - Par 5 - 491
all you can get off the tee - but its tight - left and right. split fairway playing uphill - then down. to a well protected green. Water creek front - bunker left and right.
i hit a long drive for me - lay up - and give myself a great number in , but i push it right. made a nice recovery with the 60 - and drained the par.

Hole 16- Par 3 - 175
Pin is back - 185 - 195 off the back of the green. Its a 5 iron, but with the addition of the water, you have to have brass balls to hit a draw right?
well i hit a great 5 iron - which hit pin high - and rolled a few feet past. it was one of my best irons of the day.

left the birdie putt short :( tap in par

16thpar3tee.jpg

16th tee - Par 3 - 175

16thgreen.jpg

16th - Green

Hole 17 - Par 4 - 428
Man a really long par 4 with 4 fairway bunkers placed stragically along the Fairway to grab any wayward tee shot. One of my favorite holes to watch the pros play when im there.
I hit a nice drive but not too far - and it sits just in front of one of the bunkers, but its in the short stuff.
we get to the ball and its 175 to the pin! wow not often i hit a good drive and left with a 5 iron... its a tricky apprroach uphill a bit - with OB short - and bunkers left right, and back...
I hit another great 5 iron - that sits 8 feet from the pin when we get up there...
I put what i think is a great stroke on it - but it lips out and im both disappointed and happy for the par at the same time.

17thapproach.jpg

17th approach

17thapproach2.jpg

17th green

Hole 18 - Par 4 - 423
a fantastic finishing hole. dogleg right - with what seems like an endless supply of bunkers guarding the right side of the fairway, and a creek running up the left.

18thtee.jpg

18th teeshot!

I hit a cut that clears the bunkers because its so far right lol guess its a fade then. But its up and i have a look at the green - but its looong.
6 iron long - to a green protected by some seriuos bunkers.
I hit a good iron, made good contact - but its not enough to get there- just short - a great chip - leaves me 4 feet for par ---- and i make the putt, to finish with 4 pars in a row!! to close the back with a 41, and card an 84 on the day.

18thgreen.jpg

18th - 2nd shot -green
One of my greatest days performance wise, on one of my greatest days of golf... it was a fantastic experience - the course was every bit as exciting and challenging as i expected it to be and i couldnt have picked a better day. sunny and 80's.
My friend being the nicest guy ever - takes me tot he pro shop starts handing me stuff - says pick out a hat, here take a shirt - i pick the nice adidas shirt off the presidents 2013 rack - one visor, one hat - some ball markers - and we have a few beers, some lunch and call it a day!!

adidasshirt.jpg

Adidas shirt

hats.jpg

some hat and stuff

What a course!

front9.jpg

scorecards front

back9.jpg

scorecards back

That's pretty cool, congrats on a nice round there too.

Last edited:
Wonderful recap and great pics. Glad you got to enjoy this round and thanks for sharing it with us.

Nice write-up! I'm totally jealous. I've played New Albany several times and just this year played Columbus CC (which, by the way, is a total b!itch). Muirfield Village has always been on my list, though. I've gotta find some new friends. :D

Enjoyed the writeup and great pics! Glad you had a great time and scored well :thumb:

Outstanding write up and pics!! Thanks for sharing - you are one lucky guy getting to play there. Glad you enjoyed it buddy!

Great write up CG. That course is truly amazing!

Good write up and good score. I've wanted to play muirfield village for a while. Great pics to, very beautiful course. Jack designed a beauty.

84 there...wow thats awesome, I doubt the courses tomorrow will touch that LOL

Excellent write up cg! Sounds like you had a blast and the course looks like its in amazing shape. Great round!

John Deere Tappin...

Nice write up and some good pics too. Can't wait to talk to you in person about this round next week.

Great write up dude! Fantastic round !

Sweet course Matt and nice round. I'd be afraid to take a divot out there, lol. Great pics.

Awesome round and thanks for sharing your experience with us buddy.

Great write-up and pictures Matt. Nothing better than shooting a great round on a great course. Hope you bring that solid game with you down to Orlando so we can take out Ike and Tina.

Great round CG thank for sharing it. I've never had a caddie, and since there is not a course within 4 hours of me that does, I think it will be a while until I do. What do you tip a caddie anyway?

Wow man. Thats just an awesome day.
Muirfield and Olympia Fields in the same summer.
I agree with one of the other posters, I need new friends.....

Thanks for sharing. It looks magnificent and it sounds like it was a great time for sure. My coach is down there (Columbus/Dublin)this week for an Invitational.

Alex

CG I am so jealous of you, I go to the Memorial every year and Muirfield is my favorite course I have ever seen in person. I would kill to play there! How did you get so lucky?!?! Anyhow, congrats on playing there man that is soooo awesome, glad you had a good time!

All I can say is wow, what an experience. Awesome score, great photos, and sweet swag. I told my buddy from Columbus when he came down to Florida a couple weeks ago. I want to go to the Memorial tournament someday. The fact you got to play the course is unreal. Thanks for sharing.

Great round CG thank for sharing it. I've never had a caddie, and since there is not a course within 4 hours of me that does, I think it will be a while until I do. What do you tip a caddie anyway?

I have no idea, I wasn't allowed t even pull my wallet out.

Back