My Heart is Broken....

rghilljr

Reaction score
Handicap
LONG POST ALERT

My 5 yr old started school this year. He has only been in school for 5 weeks and yet his assistant principal has had a huge impact on his life. He has come home on several occasions and said Mr. ******** came and read with us today or came in the gym with us today. Mr. ******** would sing to the kids every morning when they came into the building. Well today, we learned that he has passed away in his sleep.

My wife and I talked this morning and decided not tell my son about it but to let the school talk to him and then let him tell us about it. As soon as my wife picks him up today he says "my school will never be the same". My wife asked him why and he said that "Mr. ******** has to to heaven". He continued to talk about it all the way home. My wife said when they got home that he went and got a baseball bat and just started beating on the trees and the ground.

I got home and wanted to talk to him. I could tell that his heart is broken and he wantes to cry and be upset but he will not let loose. I know that he will when he is ready but it just breaks my heart to see my little one with a broken heart. I asked him what he would say to Mr. ******** if he could see him now and he said that he would tell him that he loved him and thanks for singing to him.

I know that part of being a parent is letting go and letting kids learn on their own. I also know that part of that process is having to mend broken hearts but I just didn't think that it would be this soon.

We are not promised tomorrow! Take advantage of today and make something good out of it. You never know who's life you will touch. My sons life has been touched in just 5 short weeks. I can't imagine how those that have known this man for years are feeling.

God Bless you Mr. ********. Thank you for loving my kid and being a blessing to him the way you did!

Wow, that is heartbreaking RG, its rough having to lose someone who means something to you at such a young age. Sounds like the school really did lose a great person.

good things don't always happen to good people.. too bad such a good person (and leader at that) had to go.. sorry RGJR and RGthethird(?).

Wow that's gotta be hard on the little guy . I will say a prayer for him tonight and ask the lord to take extra special care of his new angel Teacher Mr. ******* . Teachers really are special people.

Very sorry for the loss and the pain your little guy is feeling. It's tough. I still remember losing my baseball coach when I was 11 and it really hit me hard. Talking about it as much as possible, will surely help.

Thanks for sharing this story.

That's tough to deal with. Only 5 years old and having to learn to accept death....that's rough.

Hoping that things get better soon, the gentlemen who passed obviously had a quick and positive impact on your child.

Thats a tough situation and I am sorry your little one is having to deal with it

Pretty amazing at 5 years old and great to hear he knows this friend is in heaven. Might be a great time to explain how much he's needed there and deserves it.

Wow dude, that's tough to deal with. Thoughts with you.

This is so very sad! The community lost a great inspiration, and someone who touched so many lives. The family of the great man mourns his loss. And somehow we as parents have to teach the lesson to our children, and make sense of it all. Best wishes to your family and the community that he served

Thanks for sharing, thoughts and prayers for the family of the Asst Principal and to you and your family, especially your son.

The world needs more Mr.********* Life is short and it's the simple things that last

Thank you for sharing that story. Sad, but also inspiring.

Thank you for sharing man. Thoughts and prayers are with your son from me personally.

Such a sad story.

Sorry to hear about this. Must be hard for your boy not him at school now. Prayers are being said for you guys.

This guy had a profound effect on your son. Must have been a truly great man. RIP

So sad to hear. It is sad when young ones have to deal with the death of someone they care for for the first time. I can't imaging being their parent and even knowing what to say or do. My heart goes out to you as you help your son deal with this.

Sorry to hear that, thank you for sharing. Sounds like your son is very strong and hopefully he will understand and build off the situation.

Aw :( Thoughts and prayers out to you and your son.

rg, I had the same teacher for 3rd and 4th grade. My parents were teachers at other schools, so on most days I'd ride with my mother and she'd drop me off on her way. This gave me time to get work done I was behind on, but it also gave me some amazing time with my teacher. He would listen to John Denver on a record player every morning. He would go about his business, and I mine. Well, the summer between 3rd and 4th, I lost both of my grandfathers and my Dad's only brother. Needless to say, that summer was a very down time in our house. When I got back to school, my teacher really helped me get through it. We talked, I went in early, things went back to normal. Late in that year, my teacher had a heart attack and didn't come back to work for the year. It broke my heart. I wasn't doing my work, I was sad every day, I wasn't going in early, etc. My teacher was the most influential person in my life at that time and I was devastated and thought for sure he was going to die too. My parents were very adept at keeping tabs on me and we met with the Principal and sub as well. My grades suffered for the remainder of the year, but my parents were smart to get the school in on what all had happened in my life that year so the school could watch me. My teacher survived, and years later when I became a teacher, I called to tell him. He had passed away. I cried my eyes out for a full day as a 28 year old. Having someone special like your son had in his life is amazing, and he will heal, but as my parents did, help him by bringing the school on board. Give him the outlets he may need. His life is blessed forever by a great teacher/administrator, and he is lucky. Just watch him, understand, and be there in every way you can think, even in ways he may not know...

Thanks for sharing. Keeps things in perspective. We never know when things like this will happen and to have an impact on kids like that is awesome.

As far as talking with your kid I learned alot from the book called How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...eASIN=1451663889&linkCode=as2&tag=jerehesl-20 pretty good at helping us parents help kids deal with their emotions. And it has even helped me be a better Dad.

Will pray your son can heal and as parents you can love and support him through this tough time.

Just shows the impact we can have on others from the greatest to the least. So glad that man took the time to poor into the next generation and truly leave a legacy.

I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. Even if 90% of the time we don't know what that reason is.
I would tell him to cherish the time he had with him and to try and emulate the mans kindness and attitude.

Back