Official THP 2011 Golf Outing & Demo Day

Who is flying into Ft. Lauderdale? Anyone?
We did last time, took about 50 minutes to get to the resort. Not bad. It was way cheaper for us to do that last time (like $200 cheaper each, well worth the cost of the rental car)

We did last time, took about 50 minutes to get to the resort. Not bad. It was way cheaper for us to do that last time (like $200 cheaper each, well worth the cost of the rental car)

I think it is only $25 or $50 less for me, not worth it.

For those who have already committed to the outing and plan on playing 2 rounds Saturday, what was everyones thought on what style it shall be? Should we do a "THP Ryder Cup" and have two captains and play a variety of matches? Should we play some type of scramble tournament either allowing teams to be created and entered or teams made up (one hi, med and low handicap and at least one female)? or do you just wanna relax and just play golf with whomever you want? Or something else?

Sounds like we need a tournament committee for the replay rounds. I am game for most any format. Love the idea of a scramble with teams divided out equally based on handicaps. There are a lot of other creative and fun tournament formats out there that could really make it a blast.

How many spots are still open for the outing? Also.....I need to find someone to double up with to keep the cost down a little, any ideas on how to go about that?

Ok. This is what Im trying to determine. Its about $80 cheaper to fly into Ft Lauderdale but theres still the cost of the rental car to consider.

I think it being so early will make it difficult to make this format up. First we need to see who is going and wants to replay. Then we will need to wait til we get the pairings from THP. you wouldnt wanna be paired up with a person that is in the last group if you teed off first. this is going to be difficult to keep even teams with all of the different tee times. so, thats why I think we will have to wait. I do think we could figure out the format though.

here is my idea. Ryder Cup Style:

break up into 2 teams, by handicap the best possible way. then when we see the pairings, we can break up into groups of 2. and play a 2 on 2 capyains choice for the second round. that way there is no actual score involved, it will just be the amount of holes won. if the pairings come in tied, its a half a point. I think this could be a TON of fun, then people would be a part of a team of more than 4 and there will be more trash talking going on. This will also make it a bit easier for us to get the replay going as quickly after our round as possible.

Thoughts? did that make sense?

this would kill me after flying 2+ hrs.....Unless I have to do that, when I travel i like to get there and then be there without having to get there. Follow that? <goes to take drug test>

this would kill me after flying 2+ hrs.....Unless I have to do that, when I travel i like to get there and then be there without having to get there. Follow that? <goes to take drug test>

Yea Yogi!!

[YOUTUBE]O-EZf56AfYc[/YOUTUBE]

I think it being so early will make it difficult to make this format up. First we need to see who is going and wants to replay. Then we will need to wait til we get the pairings from THP. you wouldnt wanna be paired up with a person that is in the last group if you teed off first. this is going to be difficult to keep even teams with all of the different tee times. so, thats why I think we will have to wait. I do think we could figure out the format though.

break up into 2 teams, by handicap the best possible way. then when we see the pairings, we can break up into groups of 2. and play a 2 on 2 capyains choice for the second round. that way there is no actual score involved, it will just be the amount of holes won. if the pairings come in tied, its a half a point. I think this could be a TON of fun, then people would be a part of a team of more than 4 and there will be more trash talking going on. This will also make it a bit easier for us to get the replay going as quickly after our round as possible.

Perhaps once a list of people who wanted to play a second round Saturday was created those people could be arranged in the first bunch of groups for the THP golfing. Also I would think we would need to tee off relatively early if we wanted to get two rounds in.

I like it. With a two man team it takes away the grinding and should move quicker. Best ball format or it could be a two person scramble? Time will tell.

nice idea ONE-T! im definately up for it!

How many spots are still open for the outing? Also.....I need to find someone to double up with to keep the cost down a little, any ideas on how to go about that?

Just keep an eye open or ask JB if you can make a roommate thread. We did that last time and I think everybody ended up getting a roomy :)

Just keep an eye open or ask JB if you can make a roommate thread. We did that last time and I think everybody ended up getting a roomy :)

I think the roommate thread in January might help. But I believe a few others were still looking for roommates.

Ok. This is what Im trying to determine. Its about $80 cheaper to fly into Ft Lauderdale but theres still the cost of the rental car to consider.

Well the $200 on the tickets not counted, it made sense for Flashy and I because of the cost of the shuttle. It was about $30 each, each way. So that ends up being $60 each way, or $120 total (or so). That alone is more than the rental car for 3 days cost us. (including gas to drive from Ft Lauderdale-West Palm and back.) Plus the added convenience of being able to put our luggage into the rental car after checking out on the Sunday morning, then playing the round. We stayed at a pretty nice place near the airport in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday night too. If you want the name let me know.

Besides Orlando, WPB was the cheapest.

I like the idea of a fun/slightly competitive round Ryder Cup style. With any luck I'll my game at a better place by the time the Outing rolls around. Maybe I'll actually have a real handicap too.

I love the idea and I am in for sure. My dad would be in too, guaranteed.

i'm definitely in on that format. i like the idea of two man scrambles. i pick belbin!

i'm definitely in on that format. i like the idea of two man scrambles. i pick belbin!

I call Biggsy! It's on

Well the $200 on the tickets not counted, it made sense for Flashy and I because of the cost of the shuttle. It was about $30 each, each way. So that ends up being $60 each way, or $120 total (or so). That alone is more than the rental car for 3 days cost us. (including gas to drive from Ft Lauderdale-West Palm and back.) Plus the added convenience of being able to put our luggage into the rental car after checking out on the Sunday morning, then playing the round. We stayed at a pretty nice place near the airport in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday night too. If you want the name let me know.

4 people could rent an SUV, I am just sayin

Beam me up Sean

I have a few questions about this event if anyone can help.....is there a deadline for signing up for this event? And what about a room mate listing, that is assuming I can get away from the wife for this event.

Thanks.

The event is in May and the deadline to book your room is 45 days ahead of time because the hotel needs to block off the rooms for everyone. So I would say late March to early April would be the cutoff. As for a roommate I know there is at least one person now looking for a roommate and there will be a thread started in January where people can hook up to find a roommate.

I have a few questions about this event if anyone can help.....is there a deadline for signing up for this event? And what about a room mate listing, that is assuming I can get away from the wife for this event.

Thanks.

One thing I want to add is while the deadline to book is 45 days ahead, it can come quicker if we sell out ahead of time. There are only a limited number of spots, so whichever comes first means the booking is full (sell out or 45 days ahead).

Back