Patrick Reed and 2 stroke penalty

Looked like a penalty in my book. But it is nonsensical that (according to a rules official in Arizona at a USGA event) you can treat each individual grain of sand in a waste area as a moveable obstruction. According to him, you couldn't brush away the area behind the ball, but you could remove as many grains of sand as you wanted as long as you did it one by one...

Looked like a penalty in my book. But it is nonsensical that (according to a rules official in Arizona at a USGA event) you can treat each individual grain of sand in a waste area as a moveable obstruction. According to him, you couldn't brush away the area behind the ball, but you could remove as many grains of sand as you wanted as long as you did it one by one...

I'll stop just short of saying that's impossible and say that I doubt anyone has the necessary equipment in their golf bag (Tour pros included) to move a single grain of sand. So, yeah, it's effectively impossible.

I'll stop just short of saying that's impossible and say that I doubt anyone has the necessary equipment in their golf bag (Tour pros included) to move a single grain of sand. So, yeah, it's effectively impossible.
I can tell you that a lot of AZ players do just that in waste areas... lol

I was looking forward to seeing this thread on THP. As soon as I saw the incident, I knew there would be one here, and this has not disappointed.

I had no thoughts on P Reed one way or the other up until now. This is cheating, pure and simple. He could have just owned up to it when they caught him, but instead made some lame excuse. Makes it worse in my mind.

I'm sure PGA players make some creative moves on a weekly basis, but this one was just blatant.

Funny how some outlets are picking only part of Rory’s comments on the situation. He in no way defended what Patrick did, he only said that because he said Patrick has always been good to him.

Oh hey, it’s Monday and he’s STILL A DOUCHE!

But would it be worth the slow play penalty? lol

In the court of public opinion, Reed did this on purpose. Clearly. Seems to me the PGA Tour should penalize him somehow. Maybe banned fron the tour for 3 months or something.

In the court of public opinion, Reed did this on purpose. Clearly. Seems to me the PGA Tour should penalize him somehow. Maybe banned fron the tour for 3 months or something.

I could get behind that. I'd propose it start on April 9, 2020.

But would it be worth the slow play penalty? lol
Right?! And though I've done it myself numerous times, it's impossible to move one grain of sand without disturbing another. But it's worth the effort; the waste area can play just like a fairway bunker, so clearing a path behind the ball makes the shot much easier.

I guess I'm the minority here, because of the camera angle it's obvious we can see all the sand being moved. But when your over a shot you don't really notice anything going on behind the ball, therefore I could empathize with PR honestly not realizing what he did. Take away him being a jerk on tour, I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't be so quick to judge him.

I guess I'm the minority here, because of the camera angle it's obvious we can see all the sand being moved. But when your over a shot you don't really notice anything going on behind the ball, therefore I could empathize with PR honestly not realizing what he did. Take away him being a jerk on tour, I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't be so quick to judge him.
In the video from a few years ago where he did it once, sure. When he does the same thing twice, each moving a good amount of sand, I'm not buying that he didn't notice.

Consider that Reed (or any other Tour player) never initiates a practice swing with the club head set behind the ball. Reed only does that when he wants to improve his lie (see 2015 video and December 2019 video here at this thread).

Oh no, anyone could have done this and I’d have called them a douche.

Funny how some outlets are picking only part of Rory’s comments on the situation. He in no way defended what Patrick did, he only said that because he said Patrick has always been good to him.

Rory has become the equivalent of dry toast in the content world. He ceased to have an opinion of any significance some time ago.

And anyone trying to defend Reed apparently has done zero research into the fact that he has been cheating since college.

Apparently being "Captain America" buys you some hangers on with hazy eyesight.

Consider that Reed (or any other Tour player) never initiates a practice swing with the club head set behind the ball. Reed only does that when he wants to improve his lie (see 2015 video and December 2019 video here at this thread).
Mate it wasn't practice swings but practice takeaways from a lie where he could ground the club according to the rules. The tournament's rules committee has decided there was no intent to improve his lie. The matter has been settled.

Rory has become the equivalent of dry toast in the content world. He ceased to have an opinion of any significance some time ago.

Considering how much crap the media has given him regarding his quotes about growing (or not growing) the game and the Olympics, can’t say I blame him for trying to be a little more centred on his answers.

Mate it wasn't practice swings but practice takeaways from a lie where he could ground the club according to the rules. The tournament's rules committee has decided there was no intent to improve his lie. The matter has been settled.

You are referring to Reed's 2015 waste bunker play ?

Today on the Paulson's Sirius Radio program they considered whether Tiger should remove Reed from the Presidents Cup Team. Their concern was that Reed's presence could be a distraction which would do harm to the event. I guess that remains to be seen, but if Tiger did remove Reed from the team I would not fault him for doing so.

I can tell you that a lot of AZ players do just that in waste areas... lol
I have been in hundreds of bunkers and I know if I moved sand on my backswing. If I know, then for sure a PGA Tour pro knows. He didn’t move a little sand, he was sweeping a trench for himself...not once, but twice to get behind the ball and play a routine bunker shot.

What he probably thought he could get away with was grounding his club in the waste bunker (which is legal) and not be penalized for sweeping his club back clearing a path to get behind the ball thus improving his lie (illegal). If he did that during his actual swing, I doubt he would have been penalized though.

Last edited:
If he did that during his actual swing, I doubt he would have been penalized though.
During the actual swing a player may dislodge sand, soil at the lie of the ball, or knock down leaves/ tree branches etc... , no penalty.

I think he should have just bent over and used his hand aka Kuchar & Cink. If questioned just note that there’s been a precedent. He made the mistake by using his shovel, errr club.

It’s going to be very interesting in Australia when he inevitably will end up in a waste bunker....I can see all the cameramen sprinting ahead to get the best angle.

And anyone trying to defend Reed apparently has done zero research into the fact that he has been cheating since college.

Apparently being "Captain America" buys you some hangers on with hazy eyesight.
I saw the pictures of his "Captain America" putter cover tonight and it makes me dislike the guy even more. Yep, he had a heck of a performance in one Ryder Cup. How did that last one go though Patrick?

Today on the Paulson's Sirius Radio program they considered whether Tiger should remove Reed from the Presidents Cup Team. Their concern was that Reed's presence could be a distraction which would do harm to the event. I guess that remains to be seen, but if Tiger did remove Reed from the team I would not fault him for doing so.
Doesn't look like he will. The press couldn't stop asking questions about him in the press conference I watched today and, sadly, Tiger stood by him and defended him.

Back