CONTEST Share Your Tips Sponsored by Golf Pride

I thought for sure this would get @JB going hahaha

OMG I can't believe I missed that.
I used it this morning. Amazing tool that took 8 really sh***y Sonar Tour grips off of really good irons.
So I can put some MicroSuede on them.

OMG I can't believe I missed that.
I used it this morning. Amazing tool that took 8 really ****** Sonar Tour grips off of really good irons.
So I can put some MicroSuede on them.
Ohhhhhhh Microsuede. Inject that feeling into my hands.

I got a PM about this yesterday so wanted to share it publicly.

If you are not going to use fresh tape with a new install, carefully inspect to make sure layers are done evenly.
I recommend using fresh tape with every new set of grips.

Tip: If you don't have a way to collect solvent and reuse it, get a small, 2-3oz spray bottle (check the cosmetics/travel size area of a WM or Target type store). Use the spray bottle to cover the shaft and spray into the grip as well. It will put an even coat over everything that needs solvent and you will use a lot less.

Prefer the Golf Pride Tour Velvet and the Tour Classic Putter

Use water activated grip tape. Drip some dish soap on the tape (I just put a thin line from one end to the other), run it under water in the sink as you rub the soap with your finger as you rotate the shaft (I go around 2 full rotations) and fill the grip up with water just before you are ready to install. Dump the water out of the grip and push on. Pretty easy and you don’t have to worry about getting rid of acetone or mineral spirits and clean up is easy.

Favorite grips are Golf Pride MCC+ 4 standard size. Any color but current favorites are red as they go well with my Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 shafts.

My tip - hold a paint tray under the shaft as you put the new grip on. It catches the extra solvent that escapes from the new grip as you install it. This saves you from having a mess to clean up and you can return the captured solvent to the bottle for future use.

MCC PLUS4 Align
Tour SNSR Straight

Just did a set of grips, so want to add this tip for those new to it.
When putting your club in the vice, make sure it is squared up to how you setup, so that putting the grip on straight actually means something.

Another tip.
Follow the Golf Pride video with Bruce for lessons on how to install Align grips. He is a master.

Im going to be regripping some clubs today.
Get those tips in.

Honestly investing in an air compressor makes it mess free and super fast. Highly recommend!

CP2 Pro-red and black
Tour SNsR Countour Pro

Turn the re-gripped club upside down and hold head and swing it 10 or 12 times to male sure no sticky solvent comes out of the hole in the butt end of the grip prior to putting the newly gripped clubs in your bag. Trust me, speaking from experience, you don't want that stuff oozing out into the bottom of your bag. Setting your re-gripped club grip down to dry helps with this also.
Favorite grips: Tour Velvet Cord and Pro Only Red

If wanting to try a new grip but not sure you are going to like it, easiest (from an installation and removal standpoint) to first install it over painters tape with an air compressor. If you find you do like the grip and want to install it in a more permanent manner, it is very easy to remove with the air compressor and then put on regular grip tape and solvent.
Favorite grips: Tour Velvet Cord and Pro Only Red

My legit best tip is to relax during this. This isn't like using tour van epoxy where it cures in 60 seconds. Use more solvent than you think, so it won't dry so quick and the grip tape will let the grip slide on easily. Then exhale. Use a grip full of solvent if you have to to make your mind at ease about the grip getting stuck etc. It'll take forever to dry if you use that amount and you'll probably waste a ton of it if you don't have a catcher underneath, but you'll learn to do it better with time. It's a lot easier and a lot more fun than it's given credit for.

Fav grips: NDMC's with align, tour classic grip.

I use something like rubbermaid container to catch the extra grip solvent and then I pour it back into the container using a funnel. Makes a small bottle of grip solvent last quite a while.

For me the most time consuming part of re-gripping is removing the old grips and tape. My tip (very basic tip), is after removing the old grip use a heat gun on a lower setting to heat up the old grip tape. It makes is so much easier to remove. Then immediately use goo-gone to Remove any residual and dry before putting on the new tape and grips.

Fav grip: Standard Tour Velvet, (Old faithful, the only golf equipment that has never changed in my bag for as long as I can remember)

For me the most time consuming part of re-gripping is removing the old grips and tape. My tip (very basic tip), is after removing the old grip use a heat gun on a lower setting to heat up the old grip tape. It makes is so much easier to remove. Then immediately use goo-gone to Remove any residual and dry before putting on the new tape and grips.

Fav grip: Standard Tour Velvet, (Old faithful, the only golf equipment that has never changed in my bag for as long as I can remember)

I have a heat gun and I have NEVER considered using it to remove old tape, but it’d be so effective! Definitely using it next time. (y)

Be patient, wait for the solvent to evaporate or you’ll be right back at your bench, hopefully with the club! I made this mistake one time... luckily the grip didn’t come off, it just twisted.

I have a heat gun and I have NEVER considered using it to remove old tape, but it’d be so effective! Definitely using it next time. (y)

It can definitely help with some stubborn tape.

1) Don’t use dish soap, no matter what you’ve read on the internet. Man I miss Jake, but that was the funniest thing ever.

2) If you don’t have solvent, or in my case just don’t like the scent/strength of solvent, you can use mineral spirits.

3) Don’t skimp on how much solvent you’re using, more is always better/safer.

Aligning grips with a reminder...
Prob most of you would slide grip on dead straight, aligned with a square clubface. Yes this is were I start. Now while the grip is on and has wet solvent underneath. I grip the grip firm and waggle it firmly. This will move the reminder in line with your grip (more so with the left hand for me). I have a slight weak left hand and the grip reminder moulds to that. Once its set the reminder has a slight S curve down the grip, moulded to my hands, while the clubface is set square to my hands... feels perfect for me

Back