TaylorMade RocketBallz RBZ Irons Preview

Are you struggling with your current irons? Or have you just decided you want the newest from TaylorMade?

I love my 2.0's but I always upgrade when the new stuff comes out. I also like the theory behind the new face design.
Are you struggling with your current irons? Or have you just decided you want the newest from TaylorMade?

You dont even try the new stuff out before you upgrade? I understand the brand loyalty, but dont you want to make sure it works for you and there is nothing better for your game?

I don't want to speak for him, but maybe he gets the new stuff and takes it head to head with his current gear. Then just moves the one that doesn't work best. I know some guys who do this religiously with their PING gear.

Hi JB, your statement makes sense. I played Ping irons for 20 years until a few years ago. I always stayed in a particular product line and always upgraded on each new revision. I can honestly say that every change was an improvement in playability and feel with the exception if the ISI line. Since playing Taylormade, I started with the 09 Burners and upgraded to the 2.0's without trying them out first and loved the change. In addition, I buy my equipment at a Store called Golfers Warehouse which is owned by Roger Dunn. They give customers 90 days to try out their new equipment. If you dont like it, you can return it for a full value refund in store credit. That way if you spend 900 bucks and dont like the set, they will give you another chance to try another set and give you the 900 bucks value towards another set. It is the best deal in golf!
You dont even try the new stuff out before you upgrade? I understand the brand loyalty, but dont you want to make sure it works for you and there is nothing better for your game?

TC, Thats exactly what I do!
I don't want to speak for him, but maybe he gets the new stuff and takes it head to head with his current gear. Then just moves the one that doesn't work best. I know some guys who do this religiously with their PING gear.

Those are sick!

Should have a set to test out soon. Looking forward to giving them a test drive based on what I am hearing from those internally.

Should have a set to test out soon. Looking forward to giving them a test drive based on what I am hearing from those internally.
I am really looking forward to this set, cant wait to see some pictures and hear your thoughts on these.

I think the concept behind making the ball straighter off the face is interesting, so I'll be curious to see if that's really the case.

I look forward to your feedback JB. Based on feedback from the fairway, I think these could be a hit. I hope so.

I am really looking forward to this set, cant wait to see some pictures and hear your thoughts on these.

I second this. Can't wait to hear your thoughts JB!

I was hitting some very long iron shots yesterday with my 2.0s, if the RBZ can offer a bit more accuracy + the same distance as the 2.0s, people will be lining up to put these in the bag.

One thing that struck me about their press release is that they say "Fast-faced irons suffer in terms of accuracy because the asymmetrical shape of an iron face naturally causes the flex-point of the face to direct the ball off-line".

Would the 2.0's be considered 'fast-faced' irons?

One thing that struck me about their press release is that they say "Fast-faced irons suffer in terms of accuracy because the asymmetrical shape of an iron face naturally causes the flex-point of the face to direct the ball off-line".

Yes, I believe part of their marketing for the 2.0s were a "Thin fast-face." So, is TM now saying that the 2.0s were long, but not accurate? If so, I guess they solved the problem with the RBZ line?

Kind of like how they went against what they were marketing in the Superfast 2.0 line with the RBZ line of fairway woods, etc. They seem to be getting away from the "longer and lighter."

Yes, I believe part of their marketing for the 2.0s were a "Thin fast-face."

I thought the exact same thing. Makes me constantly ponder about past efforts of marketing that have been put out.

I thought the exact same thing. Makes me constantly ponder about past efforts of marketing that have been put out.
Me too. Their marketing of the RBZ lines seems to contradict everything they put out with their Superfast line.

Me too. I went back to read the 2.0 release a week ago or so and it was pretty interesting stuff.

I think I see longer and straighter every release lol. I'm kind of softening my stance a little on these. I like the promise but I just will have a real hard time with the line if they don't perform as advertised. To be any longer and more accurate than the 2.0's is sick.

I think I see longer and straighter every release lol. I'm kind of softening my stance a little on these. I like the promise but I just will have a real hard time with the line if they don't perform as advertised. To be any longer and more accurate than the 2.0's is sick.
I think if they are just as long, that will be good. If they can offer a bit better accuracy, that will be even better.

I would love to put these head to head with the R11s.

I think if they are just as long, that will be good. If they can offer a bit better accuracy, that will be even better.

Yeah, I would be disappointed I think lol. I'm expecting more distance now. This wouldn't be a knock on TM only, as any company promises more distance I kinda expect it.

I would love to put these head to head with the R11s.

That would be a good matchup.

This is what Bret Wahl told me when I asked him the difference between the Burner 2.0 and the RBZ irons:

The RBZ irons are longer, straighter, and feel better than B2.0. Not bad, considering the popularity and breakthrough performance of the B2.0 (currently the number one selling iron on and off course). To accomplish this, we looked at each iron individually and considered how we could make it perform better. In the long irons (3,4,5), a new hollow-body construction was used similar to our metalwoods to increase ball speed and distance significantly while maintaining high flight. Mid irons are cavity-backs with ultra-thin faces providing high COR and improved accuracy and forgiveness. Short irons and wedges have been designed to be more playable and controllable, with the AW, SW, and LW being more bladelike, and incorporating our new ATV versatile sole design for better shot-making. Two other new technologies are used in RBZ as well. Acoustic dampers are present internally in the long irons, and in the undercut of the mid/short irons which absorb vibration making them feel fantastic. Also the toe-bar stabilizer and redesigned ICT help to control face flexion, allowing our highest COR structures to be straighter and more accurate. Hope this helps you. - BW

Last edited:
This is what Brett Wahl told me when I asked him the difference between the Burner 2.0 and the RBZ irons:

The RBZ irons are longer, straighter, and feel better than B2.0. Not bad, considering the popularity and breakthrough performance of the B2.0 (currently the number one selling iron on and off course). To accomplish this, we looked at each iron individually and considered how we could make it perform better. In the long irons (3,4,5), a new hollow-body construction was used similar to our metalwoods to increase ball speed and distance significantly while maintaining high flight. Mid irons are cavity-backs with ultra-thin faces providing high COR and improved accuracy and forgiveness. Short irons and wedges have been designed to be more playable and controllable, with the AW, SW, and LW being more bladelike, and incorporating our new ATV versatile sole design for better shot-making. Two other new technologies are used in RBZ as well. Acoustic dampers are present internally in the long irons, and in the undercut of the mid/short irons which absorb vibration making them feel fantastic. Also the toe-bar stabilizer and redesigned ICT help to control face flexion, allowing our highest COR structures to be straighter and more accurate. Hope this helps you. - BW

Interesting information. Can't wait to see some extensive feedback from these.

It isn't unreasonable to think that the new line will be both longer and more accurate than the last line which wouldn't contradict their marketing from the last line.
That being said there is only so many times their marketing departments say the same thing about their new line before people wonder why they can't drive their 6 iron to within 2 feet of the hole on a par 4. They need to start being careful about the claims they are making.

It is effective marketing though, I still want to try them.

Back