TaylorMade RocketBallz RBZ Irons Preview

Ya know ... I've really warmed to the name "RocketBallz" ... if there is one thing the world of golf needs more of, it is humor.

I really do not see the big selling point of irons that hit the ball longer. That is why I have 8 different ones in my bag. The green is fugly in my opinion. I would be embarrassed to say I paid $900 for something called rocketballz

I really do not see the big selling point of irons that hit the ball longer. That is why I have 8 different ones in my bag. The green is fugly in my opinion. I would be embarrassed to say I paid $900 for something called rocketballz

Quick question, how many times during a round do you refer to your irons by brand name? I dont think I have ever been asked what iron I just hit, and then said, "Oh, that was my TaylorMade Burner 2.0 7iron." I dont believe the irons even have the word Rocketballz on them.

I could care less about the name. The 2.0s have been great for me, and I loved the R11s when I had the change to hit them, I cant wait to see what TaylorMade has in store with this set!

I'd bet they're still long. A few of TaylorMade's past sets have been really long. I think even if these are weakened, they'll be a long set.

Not likely and when did irons become distance clubs? Not since TM started playing with the numbers and then let it's marketing department take it from there.

Last edited:
TM is getting a little stupid with their lofts on these irons. 23* 5 iron? WTF?

Agreed - they're a club longer because they're a club stronger...

My R9 4i is 23*...

TM is getting a little stupid with their lofts on these irons. 23* 5 iron? WTF?

means if you wanted to you could by just 6-PW or AW.

That's a good thought with all the attractive hybrids these days.

That's a good thought with all the attractive hybrids these days.
Hybrids, plus full sets of wedges. More distance out of irons, could mean you dont need quite as large a set of irons, could easily carry 6-PW with a few hybrids and a full set of wedges in the bag. That would be a good setup.

Agreed - they're a club longer because they're a club stronger...

My R9 4i is 23*...

The average user isn't going to dig that deep. All they know is they're hitting 5 when so and so is hitting 4 or 3. Inflates their ego a bit.

Not likely and when did irons become distance clubs? Not since TM started playing with the numbers and then let it's marketing department take it from there.
I'd like OEM's to start putting the degree of loft on the iron. Telling me it's a '5 iron' is meaningless.

You would have to go all the way down to a 9iron for the set to come anywhere close to resembling a normal set of irons. Even the holy grail of SGI, the G20's, are 2-3 degrees weaker than the RBZ's in the 3-7. In essence what they've done is handed you a 2-9 iron.

I'd like OEM's to start putting the degree of loft on the iron. Telling me it's a '5 iron' is meaningless.

Cleveland does that with some of their offerings

Cleveland did it with their Black Irons, and they did it in a very nice way. Looks sharp!

Quick question, how many times during a round do you refer to your irons by brand name? I dont think I have ever been asked what iron I just hit, and then said, "Oh, that was my TaylorMade Burner 2.0 7iron." I dont believe the irons even have the word Rocketballz on them.

never, but if somebody walks by my bag and asks "hey are those the new rocketballz in your bag?", I would want to crawl under a rock. It is a stupid name, plain and simple and I really like Taylor Made stuff. Rocketballz sounds like a DSI game my 9 year old would play.

Hybrids, plus full sets of wedges. More distance out of irons, could mean you dont need quite as large a set of irons, could easily carry 6-PW with a few hybrids and a full set of wedges in the bag. That would be a good setup.

I basically do that now, and I love it. Mostly why I'm attracted to this set, but we'll see.

never, but if somebody walks by my bag and asks "hey are those the new rocketballz in your bag?", I would want to crawl under a rock. It is a stupid name, plain and simple and I really like Taylor Made stuff. Rocketballz sounds like a DSI game my 9 year old would play.
I would just say yeah those are Rocketballz, then out drive the guy with a Rocketballz 7iron. Hehe. :D

For me if I can hit the loft of a previous 4/5 irons with the ease of a now 6/7 iron that is a wonderful spot to be in. I've always struggled with longer irons and now have hybrids which perform better for me. There is new technology so why not use it. I don't have any picture tube televisions in my house. I don't use analog cell phones anymore. I like the ease of GPS navigation and my instant espresso machine and this all carries over into new golf clubs.

I love the history of the game but I want to have fun playing it as well. Also, how is Rocketballz any worse than SuperFast?

my concern is that if you keep on extending the length of iron distance it will make it very difficult to cover the 160-90 yard gap. You will eventually need to carry 4 or 5 wedges and have a 4 iron set.

Hey, whatever it takes to be able to say "I hit my 7 iron 200 yards".

my concern is that if you keep on extending the length of iron distance it will make it very difficult to cover the 160-90 yard gap. You will eventually need to carry 4 or 5 wedges and have a 4 iron set.

It's why your rarely see pros play those clubs, it would create havoc on their yardages.

I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree with you. A lot of lofts are getting very strong, and leave huge holes at the bottom of the bag, but at the same time, most of the companies that are going with stronger lofts add an A wedge to the set to even out the transition to the wedge set.

Rumor has it, a birdie has been chirping about these irons.

I'm still very excited by this statement

Tapatalk

I'm still very excited by this statement

Tapatalk
Me too, cant wait for THP to get their hands on this set. SOme in hand pictures and initial thoughts should be a great read!

Something cool is coming with these very soon. I think there might even be a new thread or home page article that might intrigue some people. I know that I am very interested in trying these out.

Something cool is coming with these very soon. I think there might even be a new thread or home page article that might intrigue some people. I know that I am very interested in trying these out.

How can someone read this and not be excited! So pumped for this!

Back