Tim Tebow: Are you fan or foe?

Tim Tebow: Are you fan or foe?

• fan

Votes: 84 81.6%
  • foe

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters
This was the 2nd time they have put up over 30 in less than 6 weeks. They meaning Denver scoring more than 30 in both games, not combined.

I am in Dallas, and we don't get much Denver coverage, and I don't really follow the team, it just seems like they were winning a lot of very low scoring games. Its your defense that wins those kind of games, not your quarterback. If I was a coach preparing to play the Broncos, I would be much more concerned with their Defense than with Tebow.

This will be an interesting thread to look back on in about 2 years....

I am in Dallas, and we don't get much Denver coverage, and I don't really follow the team, it just seems like they were winning a lot of very low scoring games. Its your defense that wins those kind of games, not your quarterback. If I was a coach preparing to play the Broncos, I would be much more concerned with their Defense than with Tebow.

I would suggest watching the games before deciding on who is winning them and why. Just my opinion.
The defense was the same defense that went could not win at the beginning of the year. Now they get a QB that keeps them rested by moving the chains and a team that is accumulating yards. In 7 games as a starter, he has scored more than 30 twice. In fact one of those games he had to because the defense allowed 30. The guy is doing what he has to to win games. Just because a team does not score 50 a game does not mean the QB was not instrumental in the win. I urge you to check out a game or two and actually see why the team is winning.

Tebow gets people to watch games they would not otherwise have ANY interest in watching. For that, I am a fan. Tebow keeps himself out of the police blotter & off reality TV. For that, I am a fan.

Would I want to have my kid mimic is throwing style, no. Would I want my kid to mimic everything else (that the general public knows) about him, yes.

Denver is winning because of their Defense. I am pretty sure that this last win was the only game he has played in where the combined score for the game was over 30.

How many times has Tebow put his defense in a poor position? Defense is playing better because they are defending the whole field instead of being forced to hold the other team to a FG due to a turnover.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

How many times has Tebow put his defense in a poor position? Defense is playing better because they are defending the whole field instead of being forced to hold the other team to a FG due to a turnover.

Obviously TeBow is playing well right now, the whole team is. All i am saying is that is he was backed up with a St. Luis Rams caliber defense, he would have already been run out of Denver.

I am a pretty big fan. I wont own his jersey anytime soon. But i cheer for him to do well

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I will like to see him succeed. I'm don't have the same off the field beliefs, but I respect him having them.

I will like to see him succeed. I'm don't have the same off the field beliefs, but I respect him having them.

I am not a die hard religious person by any means, but I respect his off field beliefs because he seems very AUTHENTIC about them. We see countless other athletes (and others) put on a facade of faith, but behave in stark contrast to the values of that faith.

Really interesting article on Tebow's faith in the NFL.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/nfl-star-beats-tim-tebow-most-religious-athlete-football

Spoiler
Expert: Tim Tebow Overshadowing Several Of NFL's Other Religious Players

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:35 am
Written by: Ben Maller

Tim Tebow has become the poster boy for religious devotion in the National Football League, but other stars have largely flown under the religion radar.
The managing editor at Patheos, a website devoted to religious issues, told USA Today that Tebow may not even be the most vocal Christian on the Broncos. "It is odd that there are more outspoken Christians on the Denver Broncos like Brian Dawkins. It is odd that Tebow has become this figure," Patton Dodd told the national newspaper.
Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu is most often mentioned by fellow players for his spiritual devotion, according to Dodd, who authored The Tebow Mystique. Polamalu, famous for his long hair and huge hits, actually prays during the action.
"I often think about Troy Polamalu, who you will hear Pittsburgh Steelers players say is the most religious athlete in football," Dodd told USA Today. "He crosses himself before every play and sometimes after. He prays during plays."
Polamalu, 30, one of the NFL's hardest hitters, has won two Super Bowls with the Steelers and has been to six Pro Bowls. Born Troy Benjamin Aumua, he legally changed his name to his mother's maiden name of Polamalu, which he had gone by for 15 years following his parents divorce.

On a quest for religious guidance, Polamalu decided on becoming an Orthodox Christian after spending four days living with monks in a monastery on Mount Athos, a peninsula in Greece.
The Steelers star convinced his wife to convert to Orthodox Christianity in 2007, the same year he took a religious pilgrimage to Orthodox Christian locations in Greece and Turkey. Polamalu named both his children (Paisios, and Ephraim) after legendary Greek Orthodox Christian Saints.
“Football is part of my life but not life itself,” Polamalu says. “Football doesn’t define me. It’s what I do [and] how I carry out my faith.”

While Tebow, the son of missionaries, lives the evangelical Christian life, the Steelers star said in an interview that he's cautious not to push his religious beliefs onto strangers.
“It can lead to resentment, and that is not what you want,” Polamalu said. "There is also a sense of arrogance sometimes when people are really hearty, evangelizers, and that is opposite of what faith is. Like, ‘I know this better than you.’ There are a lot of pitfalls to that."
Both Polamalu and Dawkins were named to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2000s.

Last edited:
Hard to be a fan when he beat my Jets this year - but I def wouldn't call myself a foe either. Absolutely respect him.

I would suggest watching the games before deciding on who is winning them and why. Just my opinion.
The defense was the same defense that went could not win at the beginning of the year. Now they get a QB that keeps them rested by moving the chains IN THE 2nd HALF and a team that is accumulating yards. In 7 games as a starter, he has scored more than 30 twice. In fact one of those games he had to because the defense allowed 30. The guy is doing what he has to to win games. Just because a team does not score 50 a game does not mean the QB was not instrumental in the win. I urge you to check out a game or two and actually see why the team is winning.

FIFY..some ugly first halves thats for sure

Would love them to get off to a good start one of these days

Im not sure how many games you have watched, but this is crazy in my opinion. He moves the chains, keeps the defense fresh, controls the all and outscores his opponents. 2 weeks ago, people said "Tim Tebow is just there, he isnt scoring points and the defense is winning", so what does he do? Drops 30 on the next team. Few QBs manage the ball like he does right now regardless of how he is playing the position. The team added no talent since he was named a starter, in fact they traded their best WR at the time. If you sit down and watch the Denver games, it is very clear why they are winning and the 1 big difference between the 1st 5 games and the games since then. The guy under center.

And as much as I dont get it, I must be the only person that does not see his "in your face" religion. Sure he prays, not exactly in your face to me. No more so than hearing every other athlete thank God after they score or are interviewed. I will take a guy like him living a clean life over a rapist (allegedly), an animal murderer and countless other criminals that are looked up to because they can throw a football. In the end, I think its like the Phil factor, people for some reason dont like to see athletes win and do so with a smile and kindness rather than intensity. We immediately hear "fake" and other adjectives, yet when they are angry and winning, we hear "determination" and "intensity".

Im not a Tebow fan (its against my FSU background...hehe), but seeing success come out of failure at every level is inspiring. A team that doesnt run is considered exciting, but a team that does not pass a lot is considered unsuccessful and only defense. It makes no sense to me. He keeps the defense fresh and does not turn the ball over. That is HIM winning.

I bolded that part because so many claim this but where's the proof? I think sometimes people want to weigh in on this guy but haven't watched a game or really followed him. i agree with you JB, I haven't seen him spewing his beliefs anywhere. What really opened my eyes to the hypocrisy of everything was the article TC posted. Where players can "tebow" essentially mocking him and it be ok, but what if it were Tebow mocking someone with another religions beliefs?

JB is really good at presenting a well thought out arguement. Very sound logic, and while I don't necesarily agree, I can't really fight that. I'll just have to say we have differing opinions. I think the guy takes credit away from his defense. Maybe he keeps them fresh, but they still have to play well to get the numbers they are, fresh or not.

He takes credit away from his defense? When? I'd venture to say people around the league are very respectful of Denvers defense.

Agreed dude.

FIFY..some ugly first halves thats for sure

Would love them to get off to a good start one of these days

So. This is all fine blah blah. JB and whoever else wants to answer. Do you build your team this off season around Tebow? Are you all in?

I voted as a fan. I like him and want to see him succeed.

As a UGA fan it would be easy to be in the foe classification, but football does not define the man, his priorities are in the correct order as far as I am concerned. He unashamedly gives God the glory for all he is and does this in a time when that is not viewed as something he should be using his fame to do. His honesty, sincerity and passion about doing things the right way, these are things that make the person, it just so happens he is a winner in a sport that has a large following and as I have read in other threads about a professional golfer whos abilities are admired but his personal values and actions are not, "haters gotta hate". Tebow is certainly not one to be hated but should be admired and even emulated.
I am in the Tebow fan column.

Last edited:
I'm a fan. I think that 2nd half of the Minnesota game showed that he and Denver can play a more "traditional" style offense. They may not be quite "there" yet but I saw great improvement over the last time I saw them play and if they do get "there" they'll be an extremely dangerous team to play having more options at offense that will keep the other team guessing. Watching the Minnesota game, it was interesting when the announcers were pointing out that even though they were running option offense they were doing it from a pro set not a spread offense you see in college. It will be interesting to see what's to come.

Forget that fact that I graduated from UF (because I was gone before Tebow was there), I just like the guy for what he stands for. Not the religious stuff, because quite frankly that's not my thing, but I like his spirit, his attitude, and his ability to excite a team and bring back life to them. He is not a star QB and he will probably never play again in the NFL unless someone gets hurt, but what he has done for the Broncos this season is downright amazing, IMO.

Forget that fact that I graduated from UF (because I was gone before Tebow was there), I just like the guy for what he stands for. Not the religious stuff, because quite frankly that's not my thing, but I like his spirit, his attitude, and his ability to excite a team and bring back life to them. He is not a star QB and he will probably never play again in the NFL unless someone gets hurt, but what he has done for the Broncos this season is downright amazing, IMO.

So you think he's done after this year as the starter in Denver?

I'm a fan. Only thing I have against him is that he plays for Denver (Chiefs fan here). With that said, I'm just not convinced this success can sustain itself. The Denver Tebows may be 6-1, but lets be realistic, that run of games hasn't been the toughest schedule. Also, I guess I need to go back and check the box scores, but I think that offense has only scored over 30 one time. Their most recent game was against a weak secondary with a lot bad/blown coverage and it took them overtime and help from the defense.

Short version, I wish him success, but, I wouldn't build my team around him. I just don't think his style of football can be successful long term.

So you think he's done after this year as the starter in Denver?

I think so OEM. Elway just isn't into him. Who else is going to give him a chance knowing its a work in progress? I have no doubt he will end up on a roster somewhere but it's going to be another huge uphill battle for the dude.

I do. The team is running an an all time high right now which is getting them through, but he won't be their starter next year, I don't think so at least.

I think so too. And I think Elway will be a big reason why. I don think he's in love with Tebow and will look more at "stats" and less at the end result, the wins and fan support.

I'm a fan. Only thing I have against him is that he plays for Denver (Chiefs fan here). With that said, I'm just not convinced this success can sustain itself. The Denver Tebows may be 6-1, but lets be realistic, that run of games hasn't been the toughest schedule. Also, I guess I need to go back and check the box scores, but I think that offense has only scored over 30 one time. Their most recent game was against a weak secondary with a lot bad/blown coverage and it took them overtime and help from the defense.

Short version, I wish him success, but, I wouldn't build my team around him. I just don't think his style of football can be successful long term.

Twice in 7 games.
Not bad for a team with no talent around him on the offense side of the ball at all. Heck their future back is out (and stinks), their top WR was traded and they were near winless before he came in to start. Not too shabby.

Twice in 7 games.
Not bad for a team with no talent around him on the offense side of the ball at all. Heck their future back is out (and stinks), their top WR was traded and they were near winless before he came in to start. Not too shabby.

But that's because of the defense.

Back