Tressel out at Ohio State!!!

Lastly, I don't know why there is all this general hate toward Buckeye fans. I guess I don't see what Buckeye fans do that any other fan of a different doesn't do. I understand the hatred between OSU and UM, but it seems like the if you are not a Buckeye fan then you hate Buckeye fans no matter who you root for.

I dont hate any fan, in fact like I just said above, I love OSU fans. But for over a decade we have heard the myriad of reasons why the school loses to the SEC each year and from many fans perspective it always starts and ends with cheating. Now its kind of ironic to see the shoe on the other foot.
Heck, read the college football thread here when Cam's dad got busted. I mean it was comical from Big 10 fans in general.

yea this really blows. He was a great coach - made a bad decision and got burned.

what really sucks is i hear SI is about to release an article involving Tress and pryor and its not pretty. This just sucks.

btw.. also as a Buckeye fan, I will be sick to my stomach if Pryor, Posey, Adams, Thomas, Herron, or Whiting step on the football field this year, especially if they're 5-0 when the suspension is over.

I strongly feel that Pryor's days at OSU are #'d though. July supplemental draft is my prediction.

Lastly, I don't know why there is all this general hate toward Buckeye fans. I guess I don't see what Buckeye fans do that any other fan of a different doesn't do. I understand the hatred between OSU and UM, but it seems like if you are not a Buckeye fan then you hate Buckeye fans no matter who you root for.

That's a pretty wide blanket you're spreading there. I beg to differ. I have friends and family that are tOSU fans (one of them actually lives in Austin, TX and he flies the flag there every Saturday, why his house hasn't burnt down yet is baffling) and I sure don't hate any of them. I mess with them but in the end I understand it's a great school and really that's all that matters. Is it sad, absolutely but knowing the NCAA they won't punish tOSU much, probably just enough for Michigan to catch up and long enough to woo ND to join. By the end of all this you'll see Michigan/tOSU back in the headlines again which, in the end, is exactly what the Big 10-12 wants anyways.

Newton transfered schools for cash, these kids got tattos, and I doubt the tattoos were worth 180k, oh ya and nothing happened to him or his dad...

I don't think this story is over yet. Could involve a lot more than tatoo's. I'm not passing any judgement....yet. I'll wait until all the facts come out. But I don't think it is anywhere near being over with at Columbus.

JB is right though. Many in the Big Ten have pointed the dirty end of the stick south when they don't beat a SEC team. Now they don't want the stick pointed at them.

Just sayin!

CB -- I thought Urban was out of college football? Where did he go when he left the Gators?

hes an analyst - but he just bough a house down the street from me, in upper arlington, OH. Hes high on the list for the job, but with sanctions, as mentioned before... will he take it?

He said before he always wanted to coach here, here's from OHIO.

Ive heard Jon Gruden's name thrown into it... thats kinda crazy.

i have no idea how Luke Fickel will do this year - and i doubt Pryor plays - i think he's done too. Certainly will be a rebuilding year, in every definition of the word.

yea this really blows. He was a great coach - made a bad decision and got burned.

what really sucks is i hear SI is about to release an article involving Tress and pryor and its not pretty. This just sucks.

If you read the SI article and look at Jimbo's history it seems like this wasn't "a bad decision"; more like a trend. If that thing about him rigging summer camp raffles is true you I have no idea how you can defend him. The guy's a fraud, a scam artist, a liar, and a cheat.

Here's the link to the SI article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0

The most telling quote is this: "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Unforgivable.

I also love how people lump all Buckeye fans together. Yes there are those who thought the SEC were cheaters, but I'm not stupid. I knew was happening at OSU and every other school. I wasn't crying SEC are cheaters. Hell, I watched OSU football players walk in and out of campus bars without paying or have VIP lounges set up in which everything was on the house.

Do I think that is a serious issue, no. Neither is selling your own possessions for tattoos. Or A.J. Green selling his jersey on EBAY or whatever he did. Who cares, IMO. They're all young kids that get paid nothing for making their universities millions of dollars. Yes they get a free education and some will argue that's all they deserve. But let's face it, it goes on everywhere because it isn't a big deal unless the NCAA wants to make it a big deal.

Jim Tressel lying = big deal
Reggie Bush's family living in a 250k home = big deal
Cam Newton or his father being offered 200k to attend = big deal

a few tattoos for some golden pants and a few autographs? hmm...

Now if the SI.com report is true and these autos and memorabilia were traded for cars and marijuana then this is a much bigger issue than just a few tattoos and some chicken (another claim in the SI.com report that players received for free)

If only Nebraska fans knew that things are different in the Big 10, and not quite as easy as the fluffy Big 12 North.

As for possible coaches, wow, that's a tough one for a top rated program. What will be even more interesting is whether Ohio State is as competitive this year, and whether they can keep the 'top spot' in the Big 10.

If only Nebraska fans knew that things are different in the Big 10, and not quite as easy as the fluffy Big 12 North.

As for possible coaches, wow, that's a tough one for a top rated program. What will be even more interesting is whether Ohio State is as competitive this year, and whether they can keep the 'top spot' in the Big 10.

I'm not a Nebraska fan. I follow them during the season because they're the only game in town. I played and coached at a lower division school and was a fan of that school until they dropped the football program. I'm a football fan. As such, I think husker fan is in for a rude awakening this fall. That said, The Big 10 looks down this year as compared to last.

I would take the NFL over the NCAA any day.

I also love how people lump all Buckeye fans together. Yes there are those who thought the SEC were cheaters, but I'm not stupid. I knew was happening at OSU and every other school. I wasn't crying SEC are cheaters. Hell, I watched OSU football players walk in and out of campus bars without paying or have VIP lounges set up in which everything was on the house.

Do I think that is a serious issue, no. Neither is selling your own possessions for tattoos. Or A.J. Green selling his jersey on EBAY or whatever he did. Who cares, IMO. They're all young kids that get paid nothing for making their universities millions of dollars. Yes they get a free education and some will argue that's all they deserve. But let's face it, it goes on everywhere because it isn't a big deal unless the NCAA wants to make it a big deal.

Jim Tressel lying = big deal
Reggie Bush's family living in a 250k home = big deal
Cam Newton or his father being offered 200k to attend = big deal

a few tattoos for some golden pants and a few autographs? hmm...

Now if the SI.com report is true and these autos and memorabilia were traded for cars and marijuana then this is a much bigger issue than just a few tattoos and some chicken (another claim in the SI.com report that players received for free)

If nothing else, you could have a future in politics :beat-up:

The most telling quote is this: "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Unforgivable.

That line was pretty shocking to me upon first read too. Just downright rough.

Fluffy big 12 north may be true, but I predict Nebraska running the table in the the big whatever it is.

This whole situation has got me so bummed out. I'm a pretty big buckeyes fan as my dads family is from Ohio and a few of them are alums. Tressel was incredibly thick in trying to cover this up. It was only a matter of time until it was discovered and he was toast. Serves him right. Loved him and his sweater vest, but he just pushed tOSU back 3-5 years depending on the final sanctions from the NCAA. I think that every high profile college program is dealing with issues like this, its only a matter of time before more and more are uncovered.

For the record, I dislike the SEC as well as USC (particularly USC for no real reason) but only because they beat tOSU on the football field.

For the record I don't expect the Big 10 to be easy, but I think all conferences has a few teams that always seem to be at the bottom.

The sad part is, this is a widespread problem, IMO. I went to Mizzou and graduated in '01. Had class with and hung out with some of the basketball and football players. I had Biology 2 with one of the basketball starters. We both lived just off campus and I had walked one day that it rained and he drove. Anyway, he offered to give me a ride so we hopped in his brand new Infinity QX4. Kind of odd for a kid that grew up in a rough neighborhood of KC....
Anyway, the point is, I wouldn't be surprised if you can count on one hand how many big schools don't have some type of shady stuff going on.

Another artical in my local paper;

Running afoul nothing new for Tressel

Paul Newberry | Associated Press

Jim Tressel was just working the system. For much of the past decade, he knew his job was safe even while his program flouted the rules over and over. The formula is well-known to everyone in coaching: Win enough games, pad the coffers, capture a championship every now and then, and the job is yours unless you do something really bad.

Tressel finally did something really bad – covering up NCAA violations at Ohio State for close to a year – but you still have to wonder why it took so long for this day to arrive.
What we need is a death penalty for coaches. After two strikes, he’s done. For good.
Tressel would have been gone long ago. Even before he got to Ohio State, Tressel ran afoul of the rules with his recruiting at little Youngstown State.

Turns out, the man known as “the Vest” was just getting warmed up. The sliminess went big time in the Big Ten, from the offensive coordinator who tried to arrange a loan and a car for a recruit, to the future Heisman Trophy winner taking 500 bills from a booster. There was never a shortage of Buckeyes on the arrest blotter, and the sleaze-o-meter was flashing like a slot machine when Tressel somehow figured out a way to get Maurice Clarett in school long enough to win a national championship before he traded his football uniform for prison scrubs.
No problem, coach.

As long as we’re beating Michigan and capturing trophies, it’s all good. They could shut down these rogues if they really wanted to, but no one has the guts to take on deluded alumni. Certainly not Ohio State president-slash-apologist Gordon Gee, who joked back in February that he had no intention of firing Tressel. “Are you kidding?” Gee said. “I’m just hopeful the coach doesn’t dismiss me.” This was after the president learned his coach had known for months that several players were selling off rings, uniforms and just about anything that wasn’t nailed down to a shady tattoo-parlor owner. Instead of telling his bosses about the NCAA violations, Tressel keptthat juicy little bit of information to himself.

Well, this episode of “Columbus Ink” wound up leading to the coach’s cancellation.
Coming across a hypocrite to the end, Tressel signed off his resignation letter by saying, “We know that God has a plan for us and we will be fine. We will be Buckeyes forever.”
As long as that plan doesn’t include another coaching job, we’ll be good with it. Some might be stunned by the seemingly sudden downfall, but it never should’ve gone on this long.
The first major violation is enough to earn the head coach a one-year suspension, whether or not he was directly involved..

A two-strike-and-you’re-out-rule would prevent someone such as Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari from skipping around the country just ahead of those pesky investigators.
Likewise, Tressel would have been out before this latest bit of ugliness even had a chance to arise. Maybe if Tressel had spent more time keeping an eye on his football team rather that writing not one, but two books on faith and integrity, he might’ve actually had a program that embodied those words. Instead, his career will be remembered for a joke going around Monday.

Jim Tressel, the coach who put the “vest” in investigation.

Last edited:
I think what's really getting lost is that Tressel cheated and still couldn't win Nat'l Championships or beat the SEC! What a terrible cheater he was.

I feel sorry for tOSU fans, it's tough having to be in this spot. Trying to defend a man, players, and a school that really couldn't care less about you.

It's a sad day for college sports.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I think what's really getting lost is that Tressel cheated and still couldn't win Nat'l Championships or beat the SEC! What a terrible cheater he was.

I feel sorry for tOSU fans, it's tough having to be in this spot. Trying to defend a man, players, and a school that really couldn't care less about you.

I believe you have said that before about another athlete. :alien:

Now that JT is out and the NCAA is closing in on TP, how soon does the tOSU AD have to worry about his job? Or is he safe since he got JT to resign?

Now that JT is out and the NCAA is closing in on TP, how soon does the tOSU AD have to worry about his job? Or is he safe since he got JT to resign?

He got the kiss of death from tOSU's president yesterday I think. The whole "he doesn't need to worry about getting fired" announcement was out yesterday I think.

I think Tressel has taken the fall, the new things coming out about they players still falls on Tressel I think because everyone has branded him a cheat. He stepped down basically admitting he made the mistakes, I doubt it goes any higher than that. Who knows what will happen just sucks for the program and the fans of Buckeyes football.

I think Tressel has taken the fall, the new things coming out about they players still falls on Tressel I think because everyone has branded him a cheat. He stepped down basically admitting he made the mistakes, I doubt it goes any higher than that. Who knows what will happen just sucks for the program and the fans of Buckeyes football.

I think the AD and the President will be next to fall in Columbus. Looks like the NCAA is going after them both.

The point is moot but he did in fact win a national championship.

This guy is a complete letdown and a total scumbag.

Will he give back that National Championship he didn't earn?

Maybe the band can do a Script Sweater Vest March in his honor next season?

I wonder if God will forgive him for lying and cheating? He could put a request in his prayer box and find out.

I Heart OSU fans. They make me smile, chuckle, sad & laugh all at the same time. They are truly my favorite college football fans. :alien:

hater!!

im sure OSU is the only school that has this stuff going on right? They were just dumb enough to get caught.

The guy that wrote the article for SI was on Mike and Mike the other day and said that no NCAA Div 1 (or whatever they call it) team that competes for a national championship run a clean program.

Like I said....they just got caught

Back