What is this "fairway" thing you speak of?

dannyka

Reaction score
Handicap
11.0 GHIN
I hit ONE fairway today (out of fourteen)! (And that was on the 17th hole...) I couldn't believe it. You'd think just out of sheer, dumb luck I'd have hit at least two! And no, after a point I did not put my driver away. It was plain, ol' stubbornness that just kept me going after it to see if I could get it straightened out. And it wasn't that it was just going left or right either. It was both! I just had to laugh at myself. Good thing it was a pretty wide open course or I would've been in BIG trouble...

So my question to you is this: After you'd been playing for a few years (I'll have played three years next week), what's the fewest fairways you've hit during a full 18-hole round?

I try not to keep track but at the start of this year it was ugly. It was to the point where I would not only miss it left and right, but long. Perfect drives thwarted by ending fairways haha!

Shake it off though. Nothing a good solid range session can't cure!

I really don't know, but I hate to say I really believe it is a bit higher than one. Ouch!

I don't keep track as well and to be honest it doesn't bother me at some courses not to hit fairways. I don't think it's been anywhere near one though.
Just don't think about it and let it ruin your game. Everyone has bad days.

I've played 9 hitting 1 FIR but still shot really well. For me it's the 2nd and 3rd shots that matter more. Yeah it's easier from the fairway but being in the rough off the tee and hitting the 2nd shot pure helps a ton!

I keep track on my Garmin usually no less then 8. will be 4 years in Aug. that I have been playing

I hit four or five fairways yesterday and today I only missed one. Very day to day for me.

I can go anywhere from 3 to 14 fairways. I've been having some driver woes myself lately. It's usually my strength. Today was one of those days and I think I hit 3-4 fairways. I've had a case of the pulls lately. If only I could make myself swing out!

I have kept track of all my stats for the last 3 years and i just looked back and saw that I hit 2 fairways on 2 different occasions. One of those times was just a couple of weeks ago where I went 2/13. I hit the range for a driver only session a few days later and did it another time since and in my 5 rounds since that fateful day I have averaged 7.6/13. The range changes the game!

Are you talking about the fairways you are actually playing or the ones adjacent to it? :D. Heck I went out for a quick nine hole round and hit 7 out of nine fairways, but they were the wrong ones :beat-up:

Are you talking about the fairways you are actually playing or the ones adjacent to it? :D. Heck I went out for a quick nine hole round and hit 7 out of nine fairways, but they were the wrong ones :beat-up:

ROFL!!! That's just funny!

It's hard to say, I hit 5 last week. 3 of those were in the first 3 par 4s. The fourth was when teeing off with a 6 iron to lay up in front of a lake.

For a good 2 weeks I was hitting no fairways. lost my groove. But yesterday I hit 100% fairways, so, it is possible to break out of a fairway phobia. ;)

I think I am going to pad my FIR stats and pull out the 7 iron off the tee for a few rounds. As soon as the handicap goes up, the Club Championship arrives, and boom! Hello driver, hello net prizes! hehehe

Well, on the bright side I got to practice a whole lotta punch shots out from under and between trees branches.

Like some of you mentioned, earlier in the week I played 9 at a course a lot tougher and hit 5 of 7 fairways, so day-to-day for me as well.

After today's round, I went to the range and got it straightened out. Bad tempo on the backswing and wasn't shifting my weight properly. Hopefully next time out, I'll hit 13 of 14 and get my average back to 50%! :thumb:

I usually only hit about 4 in an average round, but I care much more about GIR. This is my second year playing regularly. I usually hit between 3 and 6 greens. Funny how it goes. 2 weeks ago I was a 19 factor, and am now one good round away from 15 because I have started taking 80% swings and now rarely hit it more than 10 yards off my aim point, while still going just as far with my irons. In those 2 weeks, I'm up to about 7 or 8 FIR!

GIR>FIR!

Ive hit 1 for 13 a few times lol

Well, yesterday, I did hit more than one but it was only because some of the balls bounced back into the fairway from the woods. Today, on the front, I hit two wild ones off the tee and made double bogie both times. The driver spent most of the rest of the day riding. The three iron found fairway every time. Four over on the two wild drives, five over on the day. Yesterday in the practice round I was stubborn and shot 87, today in the tournament I wasn't and shot 77. It was easy to take the loss of distance today because I was hitting the long irons pretty good.

I've hit none at all quite a few times. Used to be very stubborn about putting the driver away as well.

I only hit 3 all day today!

Driving is really my kryptonite. It is not uncommon for me to only hit 1-2 fairways per 18 holes. This is really what is driving up my handicap as the rest of my game is pretty decent.

Ha beat me to it!

Back