Whats in the Bag - Distances

I hate these threads!

I hate these threads!

Same here. They're pointless. Same thing every time one of these pops up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to work on my distance.
Driver - 240
3 wd - 220
5 wd - 200 ( I am really diggin this club)
4I - 190
5I - 180
6I - 170
7I - 160
8I - 150
9I - 135
PW - 120
52* - 110
56* - 90
60* - 80
these are pretty much max distances for me.

Hit my driver like 400, dont know how much any other club goes besides my 64 degree...which goes 160.

Spoiler
:golf2::comp:

Hit my driver like 400, dont know how much any other club goes besides my 64 degree...which goes 160.

Spoiler

Not bad, not bad at all.

Spoiler

Note to self, buy Cleveland products.

Of course he's already come in to make a comment doubting people's distances. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen that you think everyone is doubting people's distances. I think there is a difference between doubting and being amazed at the amount of talent on one golf forum.

Spoiler

Sounds like my kind of distances :D.

Here is the Tee it Forward Guidelines:

TEE IT FORWARD
Guidelines for Selecting Tees
Driver Distance Recommended
18 Hole Yardages
275 6,700 - 6,900
250 6,200 - 6,400
225 5,800 - 6,000
200 5,200 - 5,400
175 4,400 - 4,600
150 3,500 - 3,700
125 2,800 - 3,000
100 2,100 - 2,300

I play a lot of "away" courses and seldom check the yardage. I prefer course ratings 70-72 range and slope 125-140. Those criteria usually insure a good challenge without being overly hard. Driver distance is different in different parts of the country so the ratings seem to give a better picture.

Some of these huge distances could very well be attributed to numbers coming from launch monitors which are "fluffed" themselves. Yes? All the numbers I posted (and I never will again haha) are on course, including roll. I really don't know how you could measure on course carry distances with GPS. Shorter irons and wedges into the green, yes you can see the divot, but not driver or anything long off the tee.

I know if my numbers were my carry distances from Golf Town I would be having quite a few eyes rolled at me. Apparently I hit my driver 305 carry, a 3h 265 carry, and my 8 iron 195 carry. These numbers are nowhere close, like not even ballpark, and others on this forum may not know this discrepancy in on course compared to some LM's? Just a theory.

I am a very long driver. My commute to work takes me over an hour.

Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

You should consider an apartment closer to work Seth!

I'm with you! Around a hour for me as well. Great to be a long driver for a change!

Some of these huge distances could very well be attributed to numbers coming from launch monitors which are "fluffed" themselves. Yes? All the numbers I posted (and I never will again haha) are on course, including roll. I really don't know how you could measure on course carry distances with GPS. Shorter irons and wedges into the green, yes you can see the divot, but not driver or anything long off the tee.

I know if my numbers were my carry distances from Golf Town I would be having quite a few eyes rolled at me. Apparently I hit my driver 305 carry, a 3h 265 carry, and my 8 iron 195 carry. These numbers are nowhere close, like not even ballpark, and others on this forum may not know this discrepancy in on course compared to some LM's? Just a theory.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else but all of my yardages are carry-yardages and all are the product of years of tracking and practicing irons in schoolyards and other large fields and I have marched off miles of yardages making certain just how far I can hit specific clubs.
As for my driver and other woods, I know the yardages to certain fixed points at several driving ranges I frequent and I use those points as references. For example, I know that at one particular range it's exactly 262 yards from where I'm hitting to the far right fence corner. So when I consistently fly my drives over that corner, I know that I'm hitting at least 265 and since I generally hit a very high drive either straight or with a slight fade, I know that I'm not getting much rollout. So when I use the "Mark Ball" feature of my SkyCaddie out on the course and it tells me that my tee shot ended up at 294, or 287 or somewhere around there, it's a pretty good bet that my carry was at least in the 265 to 270 yard range that I believe it to be.

I'd say that the only thing I'm pretty much guessing at would be my 3-wood because I frankly don't use it all that often but when I do, I have a pretty good idea of its carry when compared to all of my other clubs.

The only tip of the hat to idealism on my part is that these distances are all based upon my "A" game (whether in total or just for the club(s) I'm using) and believe me, I know when that's there and when it isn't.

With that in mind, I think the most important thing I've learned over the years is to take a hard look at what my swing and my body is doing on the day I'm playing and adjust my game accordingly. That's why I believe that a pre-round warmup is essential.
Besides giving me an opportunity to stretch out and loosen up, I get to see just how things are going that day and if, for example, my "150 club" for that day seems to want to be my 7-iron instead of my 8-iron, then I make a note of that and when I need 150 out on the course, I base my club selection on that. I don't think anyone hits the ball exactly the same way each and every day and I think it's important to recognize that.

As far as scoring and club selection go, since the only thing I need to write down is the score, it really doesn't matter what clubs I used to get it and as long as I let reality make the choices and not my ego, I generally do OK. :D

Drive for Show Putt for Dough. I hit the ball pretty long and can score low but it's all based on my short game as well as anyone else. If you think someone isn't posting their real distances it shouldn't bother you really cuz what advantage did they get? a bigger ego maybe, oh well thats them not you. You play your game let them play theirs and the scores will figure itself out. There are plenty of short knockers that score really well because they are good at chipping and putting.

Drive for Show Putt for Dough. I hit the ball pretty long and can score low but it's all based on my short game as well as anyone else. If you think someone isn't posting their real distances it shouldn't bother you really cuz what advantage did they get? a bigger ego maybe, oh well thats them not you. You play your game let them play theirs and the scores will figure itself out. There are plenty of short knockers that score really well because they are good at chipping and putting.

Amen to that!

Or to put it another way, if most people were as concerned about their putting and short game as they are about how far they hit their driver, they'd probably knock 10 strokes off their average round.

As I've said before, I'm amazed at how many people I encounter who all have the latest driver in their bag, yet they seem to treat putting and chipping as some sort of formality that needs to be dispensed with as quickly as possible.

Amen to that!

Or to put it another way, if most people were as concerned about their putting and short game as they are about how far they hit their driver, they'd probably knock 10 strokes off their average round.

As I've said before, I'm amazed at how many people I encounter who all have the latest driver in their bag, yet they seem to treat putting and chipping as some sort of formality that needs to be dispensed with as quickly as possible.

i used to be that guy.... now i work on my short game more than my driver and irons combined.

i used to be that guy.... now i work on my short game more than my driver and irons combined.

And I'll bet that your game is better because of it.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who just play once in a while and they really don't care about scoring and just want to go out and have some fun, just as there are plenty of other people who really do care and are trying real hard at all aspects of the game but just haven't gotten there yet and I'm not talking about those guys.

The people I'm talking about are the ones who almost always spend an entire driving range session hitting nothing but drivers but then get out on the course and make a mess out of everything else. But when they do, they complain that they're not getting better or they "wish they could" do this or that better and I want to just ask them, "Do you ever PRACTICE this or that so that you might GET better at it?" Many of these folks actually have decent swings and I know that they could do a lot better than they are but they've gotten so wrapped up in the "power thing" that they don't seem to see anything else.

And I'll bet that your game is better because of it.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who just play once in a while and they really don't care about scoring and just want to go out and have some fun, just as there are plenty of other people who really do care and are trying real hard at all aspects of the game but just haven't gotten there yet and I'm not talking about those guys.

The people I'm talking about are the ones who almost always spend an entire driving range session hitting nothing but drivers but then get out on the course and make a mess out of everything else. But when they do, they complain that they're not getting better or they "wish they could" do this or that better and I want to just ask them, "Do you ever PRACTICE this or that so that you might GET better at it?" Many of these folks actually have decent swings and I know that they could do a lot better than they are but they've gotten so wrapped up in the "power thing" that they don't seem to see anything else.

it really has i finally broke 80 this year a couple times after trying for several years and im keeping my handicap to a single digit! My new golftec instructor just said it was a nice change to have someone come in and want to work on something other than gaining more distance. i wanted to chip and putt

it really has i finally broke 80 this year a couple times after trying for several years and im keeping my handicap to a single digit! My new golftec instructor just said it was a nice change to have someone come in and want to work on something other than gaining more distance. i wanted to chip and putt

Yeah, honestly if you have no game inside 100 yards, you're not likely to break 85-90.

I think the reason people don't practice short game as much is cuz it's boring. I know thats the main reason i don't practice it and honestly if i did and improved my 100 yard and in game plus some putting id easily be a scratch golfer or maybe better. There is a lot of holes at my home course that i'm setting anywhere from 80-30 yards out after the tee shot and im making par on when i should be making birdies. It's confidence, it's feel, and it takes time and patience.

I'm willing to bet you go straight there too, meaning your dispersion is perfectly accurate!

I'm willing to bet you go straight there too, meaning your dispersion is perfectly accurate!

You got it! In reality, my commute is not that long.

I will say this, short game practice FTW! I love short game practice! I think it makes me a better ball striker with all my clubs and it helps me to shoot better easier. Given the choice, I would take the greenside range over the driving range.

Back