Blayne Barber disqualifies self

One-T

Skimming since Nov 2009
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought this was a cool story. I dont know if I would have done the same.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/...disqualifies-pga-tour-q-school-six-days-later

Like many who aspire to compete on the PGA Tour, Blayne Barber's dream ended during one of the early stages of Q-school. For Barber, though, his journey stopped nearly a week after he holed his last putt.According to a published report, Barber, who played at Auburn, called the PGA Tour on Nov. 2 to say he signed an incorrect scorecard, knowing that it would disqualify him and sink his chances of earning his PGA Tour card for 2013.
The cause for the infraction? Barber took a 1-shot penalty stroke when he thought his club moved a leaf in a bunker during the first stage of PGA Tour Qualifying School, according to Golfweek magazine. His caddie said he never saw the leaf move, but Barber still applied the penalty stroke to his score. The 2011 U.S. Walker Cup team member didn't realize the correct penalty is 2 shots until talking with a former college teammate after the tournament.
"I continued to pray about it and think about it, and I just did not have any peace about it," Barber told the magazine. "I knew I needed to do the right thing. I knew it was going to be disqualification."
In two starts on the Web.com Tour in 2012, Barber finished T-33 and T-15, earning a total of $13,000. "I just feel peace about it," Barber told Golfweek. "Doing the right thing and doing what I know is right in my heart and in my conscience is more important than short-term success."
Had Barber taken the 2-shot penalty, he would have still easily made it to the second stage of PGA Tour Q-school since he was 5 shots clear of the cut. His decision gave a reprieve to Jason Arnold, Corbin Mills, Jonathan Moore, Chesson Hadley, Robert Jan-Derksen and Maarten Lafeber. All six finished T-19 at the Callaway Gardens Mountain View Golf Course in Pine Mountain, Ga., but with Barber's DQ, they all moved up to T-18, good enough to advance to the second stage.

I like what he did and I hate the rule.

Wow. That is powerful. I have amazing respect for that kid.

Yea, just saw it on ESPN. Kid sounds like he has game so he's probably not worried about making it. I'm sure he'll do fine and get his way on eventually.

man that sucks but love the guys honesty, don't see that very much anymore!

much respect for sure!

stand up guy. that's what seperates golf from other sports

Love his honestly and integrity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He's an Auburn guy, I expect nothing less.

But seriously, that takes some serious stones to do that, and forfeit everything he had going for him. Not sure if I could do it or not, but glad that he was able to find peace with the situation.

Good on that guy!

That's huge! I will root for that cat in all that he does golf.

Pretty awesome of him to do that. Kudos, and hope he reaches his ultimate dream!

I believe the circle will come back to him. It happens not only when bad is done but when good principles are implemented.

:clap::clap::clap: Major props to this guy for doing the right thing!

Great story. I'd rather read this all day than hear about 59's.

That is still one of the stupider rules in golf. Just ask Graeme MacDowell.

His selflessness changed the course of quite a few lives, good for him.

Much respect for the guy. Its hard to call yourself out like that but glad he did the right thing.

Honest man. He'll win in the end. Karma.

Wow, that is great that he did that. I find it pretty amazing how honest most pro golfers are. Great story, thanks for sharing.

Good on him, that is totally awesome.

His selflessness changed the course of quite a few lives, good for him.

Well said Freddie, he really did and the payoff will be being able to look himself in the mirror and knowing he did the right thing.

Feel bad for this gentleman,but I would damn sure be proud of him if he were my child. Not to mention its so impressive that he gets what this game represents. Integrity. Very cool story, thanks for sharing. I don't know if I would of been able to do the same either as some have said.

This story is amazing. With how much he had riding on this....unreal. He is now officially one of my favorite players.

Back