TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

There is a bit more of a cavity in the back, but outside of that I think its just alot of finish/paint differences that make them look so different at first glance. I do look forward to getting the AW in hand though.
I bet dude, it's pretty awesome you dudes are getting to test these out.

I certainly do agree with the thoughts that they LOOK better than the ATV's to the eye though. Cleaner finish/paint wise to me.

I certainly do agree with the thoughts that they LOOK better than the ATV's to the eye though. Cleaner finish/paint wise to me.

I agree with you dude. I really like this wedge a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

They look much better in in-hand pictures, these are on my short list for sure.

thanks for the thought Hawk and P4B.

I took about 45 minutes today and walked two of the holes at my club that run parallel to each other, strictly as a way to practice and hit some more shots with these irons. Conditions were not good. Drizzle that became some nasty rain. Winds in the 20's with gusts in the 30's. I just sat at different spots and hit shots until I ran out of balls.

First shots I took were with the 5 iron from the 200 yard marker on our first hole. First off, I don't hit 200 yard 5 irons and still don't with the RocketBladez. However, this hole runs moderately downhill from where I was and the wind was coming from the left and behind me. I hit 3 balls from here and didn't hit the green. Not really surprised about that. One was a little chunky mis-hit that found a front greenside bunker. Two were right of the green with enough distance to have made it if I'd hit the ball straight. Both of those balls were hit clean, but were pushed. Wind probably took them more offline than they would have been, but I don't think I would have hit the green either way. They were HIGH. Surprised me just how high they went because I'm not really a 5 iron guy.

I hit 7 irons on the first and seventh hole. This is the club I hit most often. Both holes I hit the ball from where I'd normally hit a 6 iron and was seeing the distance I was hoping for. Ballflight ranged from mid to high, depending on the quality of the shot. Shot shape was as expected, drawing with a couple pushes. The 7 iron is a club I am very comfortable with and being able to use if from a little farther back is nice.

I hit 9 irons on the 7th hole as well. All were from first-cut rough and I hit a few real nice ones. I thought I holed one, but it stopped 12 inches short. Misses were over-draws that were anywhere from 2-10 yards left of the green. Also a few were longer than I expected, but I'm still learning what to look for. Hit a couple chunkier shots from here as well and still ended up in pretty good shape, though obviously short of my target. Hit the 9 iron much better than I did yesterday, which is why I wanted to practice with it a bit.

Lastly, I hit PW's, however I didn't hit them full. My 100 yard shot is a partial swing PW and I wanted to see if I could still rely on it with the RocketBladez. The loft is exactly the same as the PW in my gamer irons, so I expected it work out fine. Turns out I was right. I was able to hit this shot lower and higher as I like to as well. That's a real good thing since I rely on partial swings quite a bit.

Cleaned them up afterwards and they still look nice. Sole is scuffed up a bit, just like I'd expect. The face is a brushed steel finish that is pretty nice. Hadn't paid that much attention to it until I was wiping them down.

Man these reviews have me wanting to try these

Me too, I love the performance of my ATV, but these wedges look even better
Looking forward to seeing the Tour version which I'm sure will look much less GI.

And I like the look of this wedge over the ATV's:
DSCN1430-L.jpg

Here's another look at the wedge cavity. Pictures make it look slightly different than the atv, but I'm honestly not sure.

tery3y9a.jpg

Posted via tapatalk.

I'm affraid this has been asked already but, do the wedges have the ATV technologies.

Yes they do.

Posted via tapatalk.

looking forward to seeing these in person, Kmac!

Interesting thoughts so far fellas. I have a few questions but I will wait until all the testers have chimed in.

Great start gents. Looking forward to more of your thoughts and experiences. Hawk - definitely want to hear more about how the shorter irons work in various situations including your varied swing lengths, chipping, pitching, etc. (And thanks to TM for the THP love!)

Will do, d. I'll get the AW in action soon as well.

Posted via tapatalk.

Good golly, the pic's of these are outstanding. Me likes very much!

Is anyone finding a distance gap between the clubs with the slot and those without? I would expect if the slot is producing more ball speed that there might be a gap, no?

beautiful pictures and write ups, I'm intrigued! I definitely like the look of the wedges better than the ATV.

Is anyone finding a distance gap between the clubs with the slot and those without? I would expect if the slot is producing more ball speed that there might be a gap, no?

It's really hard to tell at this point, PR. It was crazy windy over the weekend and I didn't really get a chance to figure that out. To be honest, I'm still not completely sure how far I even hit any of the irons at this point. bhilln would say something like, "Take your 160 club," and I'd say, "I have no clue which one that is."

Still pretty early on. I'll try to figure that out as fast as I can for you. It's something I'm also very curious about. I've heard that that the 'hotness' decreases as the irons go up to avoid that type of issue, but whether that's the case remains to be seen.

PR,
Have you checked out the THP Radio show on the clubs?

some great looking pics and intial thoughts guys, keep up the good work, will certainly be following along on this one.

Don't know how I missed this one, I will be following along on this one. Very interested to see what each of the testers have to say about the RocketBladez. Loved the compaison pictures.

It's really hard to tell at this point, PR. It was crazy windy over the weekend and I didn't really get a chance to figure that out. To be honest, I'm still not completely sure how far I even hit any of the irons at this point. bhilln would say something like, "Take your 160 club," and I'd say, "I have no clue which one that is."

Still pretty early on. I'll try to figure that out as fast as I can for you. It's something I'm also very curious about. I've heard that that the 'hotness' decreases as the irons go up to avoid that type of issue, but whether that's the case remains to be seen.

hahahah. Wind sucks. I can't wait till you get more comfortable with these babies.

hahahah. Wind sucks. I can't wait till you get more comfortable with these babies.

It sure does. Add to that the fact that these are much different than what I've played for almost 15 months and things get a little confusing. I have a rough idea about some of them, but others are a complete mystery to me at this point.

I'm going to get them in a controlled setting this week to find out as much as I can.

Back