Questions for 2013 Morgan Cup Participants

If you could have one mulligan from the weekend, which shot would it be and why?

putt on #16 in the saturday morning scramble match. i make that 9/10 times, and although we still would've been dormie if our opponents miss their putt, i just really, really wanted to keep playing that match. we had just started scratching our way back and i wanted to continue onto 17 and hopefully 18, regardless of the final outcome.

Loving this thread and the insight it's provided already. Thanks staffers!

If you could have one mulligan from the weekend, which shot would it be and why?

Hole 9 singles. Pushed tee shot OB right (my only tee shot all week that put me in a ton of trouble I think) so I re-teed and put the 3rd down the FW.

Mulligan I want is on the 4th shot: tried to hit 3w from like 230 or 240 to the green....and I can't hit that 3w off the deck. Tipped it and then watched Jconn hit his 2nd into the marsh and have to take a drop.

Things went downhill from there with immediate regret about getting out of my own game. May have been able to halve the hole instead of going 2 down I think. I was in my own head pissed for doing that for a few holes.

What was the best and worst thing about going with a single brand/manufacturer for the MC?

What was the best and worst thing about going with a single brand/manufacturer for the MC?
For me there was no down side to having Callaway as my sponsor. I was able to do a full fitting via the Annika Academy so I knew what was going to work. The clothing was spot on and the customer service from the THP tour rep and our Callaway rep was spot on.

Having a one stop shop for a sponsor made it very easy to spread the word about my gear and the company.

For those of us who hope to be participants in the future, would you mind telling us how much you figure the trip/experience cost you?

I am trying to ballpark how much a person would have to have socked away to experience the Morgan Cup.

Did you stay in the villas? Did you stay off-site? Did you eat out all week? Did you cook for yourself all week?

What about your game still needs improving (if anything)? Did the matches open your eyes to anything that you still need to improve on?

Entry-$500
Plane Ticket and parking-$300
Lodging-$200
Extra Rounds-$180
Food/Drinks-$150
Car Rental-$90

Worth EVERY single penny

I've been reading and watching the MC recaps but thought it would be fun to have a thread for forum members to ask participants some questions about their experience. Here are a few of my questions.

What did you do to prepare for the MC?
I did more range time and played more golf than I ever have in my life. I also took about 10 lessons.

I joined the Golfweek Amateur Tour to get more tourney experience, and did some match play with friends.

How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC?

My handicap is down almost 4 points, to the lowest-level it's ever been in my life. Better yet, I feel that improvement has only just begun.

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC?

Yes. Although those who didn't know me would not have known, I dropped probably 12 pounds. I didn't start my fitness routine until later in my prep process, and if I had the chance to do it over again, that's one thing I'd change. I'd do it from day one. I came up with a neat routine of going swimming in the morning, followed by going to the range or practice area at the local junior par 3 course. My reward for going swimming was to get to practice golf. That worked out well.

I'm continuing this fitness routine post-Morgan Cup and hope to be even smaller should I get a chance at another.

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"?

Yes. My family was tremendously supportive from start to finish. I certainly can't keep a MC-prep schedule up all the time, but they understood what I needed to do to get ready for the event.

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out?

I had three:

The one that would have to rank as the best would have to be the putt on 17 in my match with Gordon that was captured on the coverage. To make that long putt under such pressure with such a big audience was truly clutch. I will draw a lot of confidence from that putt in the future.

I also hit a three wood on 14 I believe in our match against Brad and Derek. We had hit a weak drive and they had bombed one. The wind was heavy into us and we had about 210 to the green. I absolutely striped a 3-wood onto the green, which was instrumental in us winning the hole.

Finally, on number 9 in the day 1 coverage, when you see me miss that short breaking putt and Castor make it to win the hole, what wasn't shown was the shot that got us there. Castor had tried to clear the hazard with his second, and just barely made it over. We were on the bank of the hazard with an uphill lie, probably 70 yards from the green. I don't remember what club I hit, but that 4-foot putt was was the result. An incredible shot, if I do say so myself.

For those of us who hope to be participants in the future, would you mind telling us how much you figure the trip/experience cost you?
For me it was probably in the $2,500 range. There was $500 entry fee, $450 or so for the villa, a couple hundred in gas, and probably $400-500 in food (I took my wife out for a fancy dinner while there).

There were also two 5-packs of lessons at $380 each, and a $150 club fitting.

However, keep in mind that my family can't go anywhere without dropping $2,000 somehow, so I didn't consider the cost excessive. It was just a normal vacation for us.

Did you stay in the villas? Did you stay off-site? Did you eat out all week? Did you cook for yourself all week?
Stayed in the villas. Ate out all week, except for Tim and Gordon's awesome cookout!

What about your game still needs improving (if anything)? Did the matches open your eyes to anything that you still need to improve on?
Still full swing for me. I've got to get rid of my high-handicapper over-the-top no-release swing. I've gotten better at managing it, but I'm not going into the single digits unless I can truly fix it.

My short game improved dramatically and is becoming a strength. However, there's more to do. I need to go from getting the ball to 8-feet on chips/pitches, to getting it to 3-feet.

What did you do to prepare for the MC? I spent more time on my putting then i did on any other part of my game because a the end of it all games will always come down to the best putters in the game. Sat AM round was a great example me and One-T decided I would do the reading and he would putt first. I can tell you this there were quite a few times were my putt didn't count because we worked so well together

How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC? Hugely i've always thought that the MC will do wonders for anyone's game. I came into this years MC as a 15 HC but got down to 12 with a lot of hard work. I felt like i had a single figure in me but sadly it was not to be.

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC? Yeah i'm a beast that way :D

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"? My family have always been really supportive of me but none more so then my super duper fiancee Regina. My dad really got it and it has in someway brought us closer because we could talk about it.

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out?

I have 2. 1 was during the Sat AM round with One-T against WR/JC. We were on the 13th at TB and both teams were in the fairway. We were first to play i think we had 185 to the pin but the ball was below my feet. So as i'm just starting my backswing Jarret says "you know the ball is below your feet" and mid backswing i said "yeah I know" BOOM stuck it to 6/8 feet. We laughed about it for quite some time afterwards.

2 would be against Canadan on Sunday Singles at True Blue on the 5th hole I was 2 down. I had 230 left to the pin and again the ball below my feet. I had to aim my 3 wood way out to the left and i hit the perfect low running shot. It came right around rolling up onto the ridge that rolls all the way down to the pin. I was left with a 15 footer. I made 2 putts to win the hole. Sadly Dan went mad after that

Great stuff guys. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I hope others will chime in as well.

What was your favorite hole on each of The Morgan Cup courses and why?

Hard to beat 18 on both of those tracks for the obvious reasons. I couldn't imagine the pressure of playing them with everyone watching.

First off i want to thank Kelly for her support of the MC and for asking the questions its a great thread!

What did you do to prepare for the MC? i worked my tail off preparing for the MC i really always have practiced a lot but at times i haven't always practiced with a purpose. This was not the case this year and i really did my best to keep my focus when i was working on any part of my game. i practiced more and played less than i normally do as well. i'm still on the fence on how well that worked for me i wouldn't say it hurt me but i usually like to play 1-2 times a week and practice 1-2 times a week this year i practiced 2-3 times a week and played once.

How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC? my game improved a lot i would say without a doubt my short game improved the most but thats what i spend the year really working on. i stopped working on my full swing with my golf instructor and only focused on inside 100 yards, pitching, chipping, sand shots, and putting. i think that showed so much and a lot of guys that i've played with for years really noticed it which was nice to hear others say how thats improved. feels so good to work on something so hard and see the fruits of your labor. last 2 holes in my singles match on Sunday i hit good drives and had 110 and 95 yards into the pin and hit 2 pelz shots one to 8-10' and the other i stuck to 1' nothing felt better to close my MC weekend with back to back birdies using all the things i felt were the strongest parts of my game. Driving, Pelz shots, and putting.

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC? i did not do anything more than i normally would which wasn't much if i'm being honest. but now that i am home and after seeing some videos i have started working out and dieting that camera sure adds some lbs so i guess the MC has even helped me move in a healthier direction even if its post MC and i do wanna get in better shape if i do make it back. although physically i felt great all weekend, minus a wrist injury i had which was minor on the 2nd hole on sunday.

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"? i spent a ton of time talking to my mom and dad about the event i would have loved to have them come down and watch but with my dads chemo treatments it just wouldn't have been possible this year. they were very supportive and always asking about how i was shooting and very excited to follow along with the coverage. i owe a lot to them as they gave me all the tools i needed to learn at a younger age and i'm glad i could share my experience with them.

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out? if we are talking in the actual competition rounds i would have to say either the pelz shot on 15 to close out Henri the 95 yard shot to 1' for a tap in birdie or and i'm actually leaning on this putt even though i missed it. it was my putt on 18 it was about 25-30' downhill with a huge break i missed it by a rotation or 2 to birding the 18th which would have split the hole and ended the match all tie. i couldn't have expected to hit such a great putt with all that pressure and so many guys watching from the balcony. it was truly special and something i wish i had made but it still was such a great putt even if it didn't go in. under that pressure i think a lot of people would crumble and i felt like i didn't and i was really proud of that.

18 on caledonia or true blue they are both very similar for me although i like caledonia a little more because i know i have to hit an iron off the tee and i'm not conflicted like i got on 18 at true blue on if i wanted to hit and iron a hybo or try to hit a really good drive. nothing better than hitting shots into greens over water with people watching on the porch especially when you stick one close and knock in the birdie.

Excellent idea! I wonder how much of a time commitment it was.

Favorite on True Blue was either #4 or #16. I loved both holes. I'd say 18 but I never played 18 in either of my MC matches so I'll go with one of those other 2.

Caledonia is #18 far and away. So many great holes on that golf course but #18 is just so special. Having my afternoon alternate shot match go down to 18 against 2 good buddies and along side Amol was very cool. Something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

No favs from Caledonia

#18 at True Blue...not that I got to play it much, but what I witnessed there Sunday afternoon of singles is something I will never forget

Great questions, and really appreciate the answers. I really liked the insights on how the event and training impacted family life, and ball park on cost. Now to see if I can convince my wife that the MC can fit in our budget.

Significantly. I have gone from a 30+ handicap down to about a 14-16 in the last 8 months. I have consistently played to a 14 the last 4-5 times I've been out.

That is freaking amazing! I didn't think it was possible for someone to get that good that quickly. This is a real inspiration for me going forward!

Great questions, and really appreciate the answers. I really liked the insights on how the event and training impacted family life, and ball park on cost. Now to see if I can convince my wife that the MC can fit in our budget.

Costs are very different across the board. First it will depend if one brought their family or significant other. Then it will depend on how long they stayed. If one came just for the event or a day early, it would be significantly less due to less villa nights and less practice rounds. The one cost that has been constant as been the cost of the event. That comes with a whole lot considering where one is playing and what their deal involves. What I mean by that is that if someone was dying to be a participant and got in, they could make this trip quite reasonable.

That is freaking amazing! I didn't think it was possible for someone to get that good that quickly. This is a real inspiration for me going forward!

The Morgan Cup is the ultimate motivator.

I've been reading and watching the MC recaps but thought it would be fun to have a thread for forum members to ask participants some questions about their experience. Here are a few of my questions.

What did you do to prepare for the MC?

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC?

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"?

Thanks in advance! I love following the MC.

Kelly thank you so much for all the support you have shown throughout the events for the past 2 years.

I prepared for the MC by taking lessons. Last year I started the year taking lessons and hitting the range. I would go on average 5 times a week. I had the time and I spent it at the range. This year was a little different. I had spent many months trying a particular swing and it really messed me up. It ingrained a few things in my swing that I could not get rid of. So once again I went back to local lessons and he performed miracles. I fought a shank for 2 solid months until we finally got a fix. I did not have as much time this year to go to the range so I would say I went 3-4 days per week whenever I found free time

My game has improved a little bit with the MC. I went from about an 11 handicap to a 7. I would say the biggest improvement for me has been the mental side of things. I have started looking at the course a little differently and it has helped me get a round the course better especially on the bad days.

I really did very little in terms of fitness for the MC. I have always been able to play as much golf as I want. I think it comes from the amount of balls I hit at the range

My family did not get it.

My best shot at the MC was probably on thhe 17th hole at Caledonia. The pressure of the moment and what that match meant to me, it was one of the better shots I think I have ever hit. Amol tends to bring good things out of me lol especially on par 3's.

Its really tough to beat the 18th at both courses....strategic tee shot and then a long carry over water to a tough green....and they are both beautiful with great patios for watching others too.

Favorite hole is such a difficult question. I would say my favorite hole on True Blue is 8. It offers the ability to layup with hybo or 3W and have a short iron into the green. Or you can go for it off the tee box by cutting across the woods on the right. Risk/Reward. That hole has everything. Seems easy but that green can be a nightmare. There are prettier holes by far but that one is a hole that makes me think which I really like.

Favorite hole on Caledonia is 16. Again it's not the prettiest of holes on that course but that is not saying much because almost every hole on that course is stunning. The 16th hole is a demanding tester though late in the round. Requires a good tee shot but if you hit it too far right in the fairway, you have tree trouble going at the green unless you play a strong fade. Water in front guards the green from a slight mishit. And again the green is a beyotch. Disclaimer for this hole is that for 2 years I had amazing memories at this particular hole. Last year was the final hole in my favorite match with 3 of my favorite people right at sunset. It was quite magical and a memory that will last forever. This year it was a tense match and we were all square. Jarret turned to me on this hole and showed me how his hands were sweating from nerves. That showed me how much that match meant to him and it meant a lot to me. Again, something I will not forget.

Actually, I found the answer interesting in a different way. Participants are supposed to be 18's or lower. It honestly never occurred to me that it was 18 or lower at the time of the event. I probably would have considered it a veto for even applying. Good for DCBrad getting that done in time for the event. Really impressive.

Great Questions Kelly and everyone else! Love answering these!

What did you do to prepare for the MC? Played and practiced a lot of golf Kelly! My goal was to get 40 rounds under my belt from January to the day I left and I got right on the number! Also mixed in a lot of range time in between, I think I did just about everything I wanted in regards to getting ready for this epic weekend!

How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC? I was a 6 handicap at the start of January. I am a 3 right now. Cut my handicap in half! I would say that I've improved just about every area of my game.

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC? This is something I did not do. Actually, I neglected this. I only got so much time to dedicate to getting ready for this event and I chose to do it on the golf course. I had other responsibilities at work and at home so I had to use my time wisely. Now that the Morgan Cup is over, I've taken the month of August and am concentrating on my health and exercise now!

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"? I have 3 kiddos under the age of 7 Kelly so yes it did affect my family life. But I think I did the best I could in both areas and I am making it up to everyone right now for the lost time. They knew that daddy was getting ready to do something very important and special but they still wanted their daddy at home. It was hard, not going to lie. They got it, but it didn't mean they enjoyed it if you know what I mean. They are enjoying it a lot more now!

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out? Just one? Hummmmm, in my Sunday match against tclutch I was 3 down going into the 13th hole and stuck a 60 degree wedge to within a foot of the hole for a birdie to go 2 down. That was big so I would say that wedge was "one" of my best shots.

Another quick query for the MC staffers, especially people who were new to the experience this year:

Did the cameras and interviews effect your play at all? Your mindset? Did they add to the pressure you faced during a match?

You know JN, at first maybe a little, like the first few holes on Saturday morning, but then I got use to them and actually wanted to hit good shots when they were around, even more so, you know. By Sunday, I hardly knew they were there. The guys and girls were great.

My hybrid on the 15th hole in my Sunday singles against tclutch. I had 230 to the green and had been hitting my hybrid great all day. Just had a lack of concentration and missed it terribly to the right and was in jail after that. Lost the hole. That was a big big miss for me considering the timing.

Did some of you guys try and play a lot of different courses to prepare? I know a lot of guys who are a certain handicap at their home course and then go somewhere else and can easily shoot 10+ shots worse.

Did the few days before give you enough time to learn the courses for competition? What would be ideal if $ and time wasn't in play?

I didn't change anything up really. I knew that True Blue was a bit more open of a course and that Caledonia was a bit tighter. My home course is a pretty tight course, so I knew if I was playing well there by the time I left, that I would be ok on these 2 courses.

Great thread KB!

Which match/match style was your favorite and most fun? How come?

I liked them all really. But if I had to rank them, it would go singles, scramble and then alt. shot.

I really enjoyed the 17th hole at True Blue. I played it well at weekend long and our villa was right off the fairway. It will always be a special hole to me.

Excellent idea! I wonder how much of a time commitment it was.

To prepare? You make what you make of it really. Just depends on how good you are trying to get before that weekend comes. I averaged playing a round of golf once a week and another range session once a week. It was just about all I could do with my time.

Callaway Golf, boy what can I say.........they brought it this year and to answer your question, I have not changed anything in my bag since I got back nor am I planning on it anytime soon. I loved everything about the clubs I received and that's no bull!

Back