Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Interesting set of sticks to say the least. I'm like others with the easy option to adjust the lie on these puppies. I bet there will be a ton of folks who have problems getting the ball air born, will be looking at these in the near future.

While I personally probably would not be interested in these, I do like the new technology that they have put into the club. I am sure the forged face and the adjustability of the lie and loft would be very beneficial to all that want to try these out.

Interesting product. Can't wait for some in hand pics, these look pretty slick for a SGI

I think they look sweet. I would consider these inplace of a 4 iron as well.

Awesome to see Cleveland with a new SGI iron. I'd like to see more pics of this one, but they already look like they could fit well in the some MCers bags!

Thanks, Cookie. Some good info there. Considering my CB's are already bent a little strong, it looks like a long iron set up would be very easy to match with them.

I LOVE these. Really like this type of club. There's a certain comfort hitting hybrid irons.

Edit: JB I have hit the hb's and I've come close to buying them on multiple occasions. Getting the right fit was always an issue as the stock setup is way too upright for me. Could've ordered them flat I suppose, but for a 2nd iron set I'd like to get a smokin deal. Hb's are pure fun.

Interesting looking. Not really fitting my eye, although a low iron or two in these could be interesting, just not a full set for me.

The adjustable, or bendable hosel is great! I also like how the lofts set up in the longer clubs, that will make it a lot easier to plug gaps in the top of a bag.

Are these bendable by any shop, or only on the SCUBA machine Cleveland has?

I can see these working for certain people for sure. Interesting to see what kind of feedback is given from these and what type of player they work for.

I like that it can be bent for your specs. but, I need to see some more before I comment on looks.

Few more images for those interested:

AA.4sf8hwlye7jx

hollowface.jpg

Full Hollow Construction

Every 588 Altitude iron features Full Hollow Construction, which allows the weight to be distributed lower and deeper in the club head for more distance and forgiveness. The center of gravity is 13% lower and an incredible 121% deeper than a typical game-improvement iron. Thanks to these improvements, all players – especially those with slower swing speeds – will be able to launch the ball higher regardless of the iron they're hitting.

Built for Customization

Designed with similar specifications as the other two models in the 588 Irons Family, Altitude irons can be easily mixed and matched to help every golfer form an ideal set composition. What further separates 588 Altitude irons from the competition is their ability to be customized for lie and loft. Because every Altitude iron is built with a softer 431 Stainless Steel body, the hosel can be bent between 2 degrees flat and 2 degrees upright to accommodate different swing types. To maintain maximum ball speed and responsive feel, Altitude irons feature a 17-4 Face Forged clubface.

Few more images for those interested:

AA.4sf8hwlye7jx

hollowface.jpg

Full Hollow Construction

Every 588 Altitude iron features Full Hollow Construction, which allows the weight to be distributed lower and deeper in the club head for more distance and forgiveness. The center of gravity is 13% lower and an incredible 121% deeper than a typical game-improvement iron. Thanks to these improvements, all players – especially those with slower swing speeds – will be able to launch the ball higher regardless of the iron they're hitting.

Built for Customization

Designed with similar specifications as the other two models in the 588 Irons Family, Altitude irons can be easily mixed and matched to help every golfer form an ideal set composition. What further separates 588 Altitude irons from the competition is their ability to be customized for lie and loft. Because every Altitude iron is built with a softer 431 Stainless Steel body, the hosel can be bent between 2 degrees flat and 2 degrees upright to accommodate different swing types. To maintain maximum ball speed and responsive feel, Altitude irons feature a 17-4 Face Forged clubface.

Those were made for Chunky! Look how big they are. WOW!

these look good for a hybrid iron set. not for me but they look good and knowing cleveland i'm sure they are forgiving.

This is for the gentlemen who wanted some feedback on the HB line:

I played the HB3's for a while and loved them. Actually shot some of my lowest rounds ever (76) a couple of times with them. The only problem I had with them is they were to upright for me and I would occasionally get a big pull hook when the heel would dig in. Especially with the 3-6 irons. They were great off a tee on par threes. With the adjustable hosel and forged face, I am definitely interested in these. If they are as forgiving as the HB3's and have similiar turf interaction on contact, these will be in my bag. One other thing, I loved the wedges, D and S, really simplified chipping for me.

These are pretty cool. Honestly, my 5 iron is only in my bag because of my ego.

These will be fun to hit at the demo day. I would have loved to have these in my bag a year ago when I was just getting started.

Sorry, but these are fugly. No Thanks.

I would rock a regular 3/4 hybo, these through a 5-6, and then some more conventional irons. For a golfer like me, these could be helpful. I don't want an entire set, but a couple.

These look like HB4's to me. I was wondering when Cleveland would announce the replacement for that line, and here's my answer. They're under the 588 line (kind of like Callaway put the HLs under the Razr line).

JB: I play the HB3s and love them. I'm admittedly a high handicapper and need all the help I can get. Here's a quick HB3 review:

Pros: Every club is uniquely designed and the transitions are way better than trying to match up hybrids and traditional irons, or hybrid irons sets from companies like Adams. This is a truly integrated set that steps off evenly from one club to another (in shaft length, loft and head size and thus distance gaps). They hit the ball high and straight and have really helped my scores. They are very confidence inspiring. I've had them in both graphite and steel shafts, and the graphite shafts were pretty long hitters and the Actionlite shafts seemed well matched. The steel shafted ones are a bit shorter in length (average distance at best), but are a little easier to hit due to the shorter shafts, and seem a little bit straighter. The lofts and shaft lengths are a little more playable than some other similar sets. Offset is less than many hybrids, including the Mashie. For those hating offset, it's actually a good SGI set. I love the flatter face shape, particularly of the longer hybrids. The steel shafted clubs are a perfect bridge to Niblicks. Very underrated clubs, particularly for the technology packed into them.

Cons: Other clubs are a little better out of the deep stuff. I've hit more accurate scoring wedges. For whatever reason, I have a mental block with the 3H and have replaced it with a fairway wood. The black on the back can get nicked up. Individual head covers mitigate this but are annoying (and thus I don't use them). Not great audible feedback -- no nice "thwack" sound but instead are tinny. Every once in a while I hit one off the hosel, which I've never had a problem with on more traditional irons. People ask you about them. I've been stopped several times by starters, golf course managers, etc.. They scream SGI, so you get some rolled eyes when people pair up with up (but those typically go away by the end of the first hole and people are asking to try them).

First impressions on the 558 Altitudes based on owning HB3s:
- This will probably be my next set of hybrid/irons. I'm sold on the technology for high handicappers.
- The lofts and shafts lengths are a bit more aggressive than my HB3s. They'll be longer. The question is will they be as easy to hit?
- The lie is more upright than the HB3, more like the XLI. I think that's a good thing (though the adjustment will help with that).
- The set doesn't seem to step off quite as evenly as the HB3s.
- I like the idea of the forged face and wonder if it will improve the sound and feel.
- I was kind of hoping the HB4 (588 Altitude) would come with the sole design of the Mashie line. I think that would have helped them in the rough stuff.
- I was kind of hoping the HB4 would come with a velocity slot styled design. Having hit the Adams and TM clubs with this design, I believe that it does work.

If THP gets any of these and wants a tester, I'd love to try them out. I can do a direct comparison with the HB3s.

Not for me, but nice addition to the line for Cleveland.

Back