Potential vs Reality

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
We all strive to get better at golf. We take lessons, some buy the latest & greatest equipment hoping for that edge, but when do we know our true potential? I suppose another good question would be, can you live with what is honestly your highest obtainable skill level? I know many golfers get very frustrated when the scores are not where you think they should be. Golf at best is a fickle game and we never know from day to day how it can turn on us. I think to be honest with ourselves and truly enjoy the game, we have to accept a certain level that is within our abilities and just enjoy the game. If we press too hard and not reach the next level, which may not be reachable, frustration is surely to hit us in the face. Do you know your potential vs the true reality of your golf game and can you accept what cards you were dealt? Let's face the fact, not all of us are going to be touring pros, club champs, or single digit handicappers. You have to dance with the game that you bring to the floor. Reality is sometimes a bitter sweet pill to swallow but if we do understand it, the game could be so much more pleasurable.

Interesting topic....I have to say in reading it I almost feel out of my chair, because there was not a single smiley. Amazing OG. :alien:

To me, If you have birdied a hole in the past, you can birdie it again. Thats my take on potential. I have birdied 4 separate holes thus far this summer at my course, and have parred them all in my rounds this summer. So to me, my best potential round is -4. If I birdie a different hole next time out, my potential grows to -5. Then -6, and so on. This is the way I take my potential game, right, wrong, or indifferent. Similar to the birdie board concept, I restart it every summer.

But for reality, it all boils down to what youre happy with. When I used to play and practice daily, Id be fuming with an 83. But today, Im content, because Im not nearly the player I used to be, and I appreciate the hard work that people put into this game to get what they want our of it.

I am prepared to take what is given. I'd love to get to a single handicap, but I am too busy to put in that much time. I am finally playing once a week again, and when the summer comes, hopefully more. To shoot in the 80s most of the time is an attainable goal with the time I am able to put in at the moment. Part of my problem is that my golf season tends to coincide with when I can wear shorts and when I have to stop. That's usually between late April and early November. The problem is the rains that come in April and May that means your days you can golf better come when it's not raining! Or cart path only because it's rained so much! Because I avoid cart path only if possible!

Well OG, I have this train of thought. Most can be consistant and good at this game. Doesn't matter who you are. I don't really see why not. It takes a lot of skill no doubt, but with patience, practice and leaving the old ego at the door..most of us could do it. A lot of what I see with myself and others struggling to consistant break that barrier is we think we know what's best for us. I have a feeling if I just tore it all down and worked on what my first instructor told me, I could still be good. It comes back for stretches of holes at a time but I'm struggling right now to put it all together. I enjoy it immensely but more right now for the challenge of getting it back.

I just think it boils down to what we allow ourselves to do. I'll never settle and maybe it's a bad thing, I don't know just yet.

Thinking about your potential is a dangerous thing in this game. Especially if your potential is measured hole to hole, instead of over a whole round.

Great question OG! I think it very much depends on the person. Personally, I don't think there is a cap to what I can do as long as I put the time and work in. What wold limit me is how much practice my mind could take before becoming burned out. I think a lot of people have the physical tools to be great at a particular sport, but the head cannot take the 8 hours a day of practice that someone would need to earn a living off a sport.

Interesting topic....I have to say in reading it I almost feel out of my chair, because there was not a single smiley. Amazing OG. :alien:

haha I was in my serious writing skill mode .... Not sure if not having smilie's, is a realistic thing for me. :D

My 'potential' remains where I maxed at after college.. Sitting at a 1.2 index scoring in the 70s always..

I think reality is what's going to make me a 'better' golfer though. I can't play nearly as much and I certainly can't swing the way I did 5 years ago.. I don't practice nearly as much and my execution leaves much to be desired, so I focus more on the experience now rather than the score.

I'm with Thainer though, every hole I play I have the expectations of par or better.. Because why not?

Funny, back in High School when I tried out for the golf team my sophmore year I was told by the coach I had no potential and no natural ability (what a jerk right?). The very next year, a new coach tookover the team oh and guess what? I made the team. Funny how that works huh.

Potential I guess is in your mind how good you can possibly be? 10 years ago when I played 3-4 times a week and practiced all the time my best score was an 81, but I was shooting 81-84 everywhere I went. I played courses all over myrtle beach, and at home. I guess in my mind I think I had the potential to be a really good golfer, especially considering I have never had a lesson.

The problem is if you ever had it, and you don't anymore, it can be very frustrating.

For me knowing that I used to be able to shoot low 80's consistently, and now being basically a bogey golfer is very very frustrating. Cause I know at least have the potential to be that good again....I think. :)

Here's to a post that requires much introspection Ole Gray! I will always try to better my game, and yes I get caught-up in wanting the "latest and greatest" like much of us do. In reality, if I can shoot "bogey golf" I am quite happy. I will get my share of pars and a rare birdie, but with only golfing twice a week comes certain limitations. With a wife, 2 young children and a demanding profession I look at golf as my escape. I don't want to take myself too seriously and take the fun out of a wonderful game. Just my 2 cents. KCM

We all strive to get better at golf. We take lessons, some buy the latest & greatest equipment hoping for that edge, but when do we know our true potential? I suppose another good question would be, can you live with what is honestly your highest obtainable skill level? I know many golfers get very frustrated when the scores are not where you think they should be. Golf at best is a fickle game and we never know from day to day how it can turn on us. I think to be honest with ourselves and truly enjoy the game, we have to accept a certain level that is within our abilities and just enjoy the game. If we press too hard and not reach the next level, which may not be reachable, frustration is surely to hit us in the face. Do you know your potential vs the true reality of your golf game and can you accept what cards you were dealt? Let's face the fact, not all of us are going to be touring pros, club champs, or single digit handicappers. You have to dance with the game that you bring to the floor. Reality is sometimes a bitter sweet pill to swallow but if we do understand it, the game could be so much more pleasurable.

I came to this realization many years ago. The world class pro golfers make up just 0.1% of all the golfers worldwide. The rest of us make up the other 99.9%. This number shows just how special and just how hard it is be part of that 0.1%. Those people are a VERY rare animal and play a game most us will never know, no matter how hard we work, how many lessons we take or how many new clubs we buy. It is just simply not going to happen.

With that said, there is however no reason why we can't improve and play better reaching our true potential, but I fall into a small group that is pretty happy with what we have right now. I have been as low as a 5 handicap in my life and it took a lot of lessons, hard work and play to get there. Now I'm older and the game just simply will not get easier for me as I continue to age. I have accepted this simple fact, and I'm OK with it. I still enjoy golf and I'm able to compete with others because we have a great handicap system in place.

I think it is great to strive to be better, but at the same time one must be able to see that there are limits just how far you can go as a individual. You just were not born with the ability to be world class and the sooner you accept it, the more fun the game will be.

Great topic!

Well I don't know Grey. I am not a settle for less type. However I do think I set realistic goals.

I do think the game requires that you recognize that your progress will likely come in steps. It will not be on some gradual slope upward even on the slightest of inclines. I think it will more likely look like a series of plateaus and may even look like the economic planning of the former Soviet Union (one step back and two steps forward).

I also think that as it relates to the swing itself, it takes a long time for a player to come to recognize how important it is to maintain a steady tempo and resist the temptation to try to cream the ball. We hear so much about swing speed and even when we recognize that swinging harder will likely not improve swing speed, it is sometimes hard to not push that off to some remote part of our brains. It gets into your head and you find yourself at some point standing over the ball deciding you are really "going to cream this one". Only as we watch it screaming left or right or threatening the groundhogs right to life movement do we tend to recognize that was an Oops!

Then there is the whole topic of course management which we, I think, tend to either ignore or put on a lower rung of importance until we are "happy" with our swing. To some extent the short game can fall in there behind "gotta get my swing going" as well.

it is a tough game but I think if you are capable of being patient with yourself and can set realistic goals, you can come a long way at least within the confines of being a steady, solid amateur club player. If one has aspirations to play competitively even on an amateur level that can be a whole other can of worms I think.

I am having to accept that I will never play the game the way I once did. I shot as low as 67 in a high school match, played one year of collegiate golf before transferring to Georgia Southern, which did not try out walk-ons for some reason. After pretty much a 5 year break from the game at ages 19-24, I joined a club and quickly got back to scratch and stayed there into my early 50's. A few years ago my knees decided they would no longer take the grind of frequent play or of ever walking and carrying, and since I was never a big 'practicer', the amount of golf I play has pretty much made me become a Saturday morning golfer. No one is scratch playing once a week, so my handicap has ballooned to 4. Once upon a time anything higher than 74 was a rough day - now I wanna turn cartwheels when I shoot 74 or better. For me the game is more about the camaraderie of playing with the big group and the good shots I still hit, just with a little less regularity. The difference in scratch and 4 is a coupla less up-and-ins, a three-putt, and one less GIR, so the game is not really that different. Still, once or twice a round I am faced with a shot that I know I used to be able to pull off that today I simply cannot, and that is the only thing that is mildly frustrating.

Personally I feel I have not reached my full potential. I agree with Thainer. If I've birdied a whole, or reached a certain par 5 in 2, or sunk that 20+ foot put once, I can do it all again. I know that I get into my own head to much. I over think and over analyze everything. The rounds I just calm down and have fun with I can shoot a 39 on 9 holes. I know I have single digit potential.

But, in reality I know I will never be a PGA star. I don't have the time, money, or natural ability for that. I am naturally a competitive person. I'm working on letting go n just enjoying the game.

It's the holy grail of mental balance to expect to do your best on every shot, but be willing to accept less than perfect results if it doesn't happen.

D rats, I had a long post all ready and hit a wrong button on my blackberry.

For me, I agree with Thainer. If I've done it once I can do it again.

To me, If you have birdied a hole in the past, you can birdie it again. Thats my take on potential. I have birdied 4 separate holes thus far this summer at my course, and have parred them all in my rounds this summer. So to me, my best potential round is -4. If I birdie a different hole next time out, my potential grows to -5. Then -6, and so on. This is the way I take my potential game, right, wrong, or indifferent. Similar to the birdie board concept, I restart it every summer.

But for reality, it all boils down to what youre happy with. When I used to play and practice daily, Id be fuming with an 83. But today, Im content, because Im not nearly the player I used to be, and I appreciate the hard work that people put into this game to get what they want our of it.

Very nicely put Thainer! I think very similar to this. If I have birdied or even eagled a hole in the past then I know its possible and I will always strive to meet this mark until I can no longer play golf.

I've been playing for less than a year so take it for what it's worth, but I'm just happy playing. Unless whoever I'm playing with is hung up on it I usually don't even keep score. Just go out and enjoy the day, smile over my good shots, laugh at myself over the bad ones (I spend alot of time laughing) and maybe on a good day flirt with the cart girl a bit

While I do think there is a limit on mine and everyone else's potential, if you have at least decent distance, then with enough practice and lessons and honing the short game there is no reason why you can't get to a low single digit cap. However for most of us, we don't have the time and/or patience to do what it takes to get there. For me personally I will never settle as I think you can always improve aspects of your game. I try to keep my short/medium term goals attainable and very concrete and more importantly I remember that this is a game and shoudl always be fun.

I am going to disagree with Thainer. Just because I h ave birdies every single hole on a course at sometime in my life (totally hypothetical), that in no way means that I have the potential to shot an 18 under. Heck I have eagled some holes on the course should I be expecting to shot 20 under? That is not reality. Reality is the day to day inconstancy that every golfer experiences. I know that for me I know my skill level and ability to play this game. I have not shot a sub 80 round in a while, but that is my potential, because I know that I can do it. Potential is not the sum of successes, but the differential of success and realities.

Like others have said, I think it boils down to how much work you are willing to put in. Last year when I first started tracking my handicap (and playing often) I went from about 19 to my current 13. This year I have been practicing a lot during the winter and spring (a first for me). My scores are showing it: I have only broken 80 3 times and 2 of them were this spring, with my best of 76 last week. I have also had multiple 9 hole rounds in the 30's, with a few 37's (Hopefully I can keep it up!). I think I have the potential to become a low handicapper, but I know in reality I am not there yet. My goal for this year is to get down to single digits, hopefully around 8. It is going to take a lot more hard work, which I am definitely planning on putting in. I also think proper instruction is key when talking about potential. I have never taken a lesson, but I plan to this year. So I think the keys to potential and reality are hard work and proper instruction.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that everyone has a "max potential" because I feel that with hard work, anything is possible. I don't think everyone can become a tour player necessarily, but I feel like everyone has the room to improve.

Great thread, really got me thinking.

Golf, by its very nature, is all about how we handle our bad shots. Both mentally and physically. This doesn't change at any level. From the top echelons of the PGA Tour to the dogfight at your local course. No one is going to hit the shot they intend to hit every time they swing the club.

The above statement is one of the most difficult things to accept with this game. I've been working on it for years now. At my best I reached a +3.3 handicap, I was playing four times a week and practicing more than that. I was regularly shooting in the mid to upper 60s at my home course. These days I can't find the time to play more than twice a week and my game is suffering. Its hard to stomach knowing if the me of today played against the me of eight years ago I'd probably get stomped.

I still have a competitive game and I always play my best under pressure. I wish I could transfer my tournament game to casual rounds but I have a hard time concentrating completely on my game when there is nothing to play for. This is another part of the game I am trying to work on, I would like to approach each shot as if there was something on the line. I think this is the best way to reach my best potential each and every time I play golf.

I am not sure about potential because I'm not sure how you could even figure out where that cap is. I never thought that going through Marine Boot Camp was possible for me...that worked out better than I thought...Never thought carrying a 40lbs pack marching endless amount of miles was possible..."Check!"...I never thought running a marathon was possible...been there and done that 6x...Help me find what my true potential could be and I'll tell you if I could live with it or not.

In terms of golf I just want to be better or just as good as people who started within 3 years of when I started regardless of their athletic ability...

Back