Putter Grips - How Often Do You Change?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we have had threads on grips and how often THPers change them. I change mine each year when January rolls around and have been doing it that way for a while. It got me thinking about putter grips though and how rarely I change mine. In fact I have not changed my putter grip in close to 4 years and have not changed my putter in that amount of time either.

I have a feeling most on here change putters more frequently than that, but the question remains. Do you change your putter grip when you change the rest of your clubs?

I know we have had threads on grips and how often THPers change them. I change mine each year when January rolls around and have been doing it that way for a while. It got me thinking about putter grips though and how rarely I change mine. In fact I have not changed my putter grip in close to 4 years and have not changed my putter in that amount of time either.

I have a feeling most on here change putters more frequently than that, but the question remains. Do you change your putter grip when you change the rest of your clubs?

1. It's time you change that grip on your m2, that thing is well beyond worn.
2. I usually don't change putter grip all that often either. Once I find something that is comfortable I stick to it. My method still has on the first grip I installed on it back from Winter of 09. I don't change the putter grip nearly as much as other grips. However, once it becomes worn badly I will change it.

Had my current putter 2 years and no change for me yet. Had my previous putter 5 years and never changed that one either. I fear change I guess.

Once I find something that works for me and is comfortable I just go with it. I should probably change it more often than I do which is never.

I never change mine due to wear.

Only really change if:

A) new putter (obviously)
B) experimenting with new grip style

I have never changed my putter grip (1 year on new putter, 10 years on old putter), although I am strongly considering a Superstroke or Salty grip in the near future...

Hardly ever.

The exception was at the end of last year with my Odyssey cause my previous one was ripping when being taken out of the bag.

I've always stuck with the grip on the putter, I've never re-gripped, and that may be something to consider.

I changed mine once to get a new style of grip. I won't be changing again in the near future because I love my current grip and I can't get a new one of that same kind.

I am still trying to find a grip I like or even the right length of my putter. I hope I find a something I love and can stick with it.

I have never changed mine.

Only time I put a new one in is getting a new putter or trying a new style. Once I find what I like I just let it go until the next new fad hits.

Had my previous putter grip changed once over a 5 year period as it was worn out. I just change it as needed.

I actually change mine out a good bit, and not because of wear, typically, but just because I like regripping clubs. Fun project to do.

I think it's time for a new putter grip on yours, JB.

I've seen some pretty slick (shiny) grips that were very old (decade or more) that looked good again after a good soap and water bath on it. I don't think putter grips really wear out, like grips on your other clubs. I could see them rotting out over time, like car tires will (mom had to replace her tires with about 10,000 miles on them because she hardly ever drove and they were over ten years old. Tread was good, sidewalls were bad!).

I change grips on my putter when I want, I never have because I needed to.

It's an easy way to scratch an itch to change things up, so I do it fairly often. I still only have one grip that I really like though. I've tried quite a few, but keep coming back to the same one. Outside getting dirty, never came close to wearing one out.

My putter grip is a yearly swap unless I am trying a new grip.

I had my old putter for 8 years, and changed the grip going into the 7th year because it had worn out. I just put a mid slim 2.0 on my current putter, and I don't anticipate changing it any time soon.

I have had my putter for about 20 years and only just swapped the original grip for slim 3.0 in June.

I change putters more often than I change the grips.

I don't change it along with my other clubs. Lately, I've been tinkering with the Super Stroke options, so I've been changing more than normal, but once I find something I like, I generally stick to it with my putter. I had the same grip on my Seemore for two years before sending it in for the CB treatment. Same with my SS11. Changed it when I bought it and haven't messed with it since.

Usually I put on a new grip once or twice a year, unless there's something new that I haven't tried yet that I'm pondering.

I've had this current putter 4 years now and its had three grips on it. The one it came with, a Two Thumbs grip and the one I put on the other week a Super Stroke grip.

The rest of the clubs are replaced each year, though the Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips are holding up extremely well so I might get a few months extra out of them.

Only if trying something new. The Super Stroke Slim I have in my Si2 was put on mid last season and they don't offer that smooth style anymore. So it will stay until it falls off.

I never did, but then I reviewed a putter grip so that was a change, then I installed a Super Stroke once I was finished with the review. Even without doing that review though my putter needed a new grip so it would have happened eventually. Not real often though.

Back