TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

I just got back from the range after my first session with my new Taylormade woods and hybrids! Here are some quick thoughts:

Driver: I have been playing an R9 Supertri 10.5 with Fubuki 73 stiff shaft, my new setup is R11 10.5 with Diamama Kai'li 60 stiff shaft. The biggest thing about this new driver compared to the Supertri: I hit it so much more straight with this driver! Out of my first 25 balls with R11, only one of those would not have been playable on a regular course, all of the others were pretty much at my target or a few yards left or right of it. I couldn't really tell if there was a big distance difference on the range with the crappy range balls, I'll have to wait until I get on a real course. However, even if I don't hit it any further than my Supertri, I'm hoping the gain in accuracy will lower my scores, as I've been having 2-3 tee shots in every round this year that either cost me a penalty stroke or put me in a position where I have to punch back out to the fairway. The feel of this driver is interesting...I'd say it feels more harsh than the Supertri on off-center hits, but the ball just rockets off of the face when you catch it in the center of the clubface.

Fairway wood: My old fairway wood was an R9 3 wood with Fubuki 73 stiff shaft, new fairway wood is the R11 3 wood with Diamana Kai'li 70 stiff shaft. I also had the R9 set at neutral, the R11 has 1 degree of loft added so the face is closed. I was not as consistent with the 3 wood as I was with the driver, but most of it was my swing. I was either hitting draws or pushes with this club, so I know that it's more of a path issue than the club issue. I only worked with it off the deck, I'm interested to get it out on the course to see how it works off of the tee. The feel of this club mirrored the driver; a little more harsh than my prior club when hit off-center, but center hits were awesome.

Hybrids: I used to only carry one hybrid, which was a Rescue 09 19 degree hybrid with half a degree of loft added, shaft is the Fujikura F1 80 HB stiff. I added 2 hybrids for the Morgan Cup, the Rescue 11 at 21 degrees and 23.5 degrees with Matrix Ozik Altus stiff shafts. I got the 21 degree hybrid to replace my current 19 degree hybrid as I felt like I was getting too much roll-out on shots with that club, and the 23.5 degree hybrid is meant to replace my current 4-iron (23 degrees). The 21 degree hybrid definitely flew higher than the 19 degree hybrid I have now. I may have lost a little yardage in terms of total distance, but as best as I could tell on the range, the carry distances were in the same ballpark. The 23.5 degree hybrid is so freaking easy to hit in the air, it's just silly. There is absolutely no way that I could even dream of hitting my current 4-iron that high, and I may have gained a slight amount of distance as well, which is just icing on the cake.

One thing about the fairway wood and hybrids: as many other people have remarked in the review threads of those clubs, these clubs like a smooth controlled swing. Whenever my tempo got off or I really tried to go hard at the ball, the results weren't as good. With the driver, I was able to have some good results when trying to get at it a little harder than normal. I've always been afraid of the big hook when trying to hit it harder than normal with drivers I've had in the past, but it's very hard for me to lose this driver to the left. If I can take away one side of the golf course off of the tee, that will be a big difference in my game because I can struggle with a 2-way miss.

Thanks once again to THP and Taylormade for this great opportunity, I really feel lucky to be a part of this tournament and a part of this community. I will continue to update this thread with more thoughts on these clubs.

Sounds like a good start Ary. I'm a big fan of the hybrids so far.

Very nice unboxing video rbelbin. Glad to see that you found clubs stout enough for your manly clubhead speed.

Wow finally caught up to this thread. ABSOLUTELY AWESOMENESS being displayed here. I too was wondering if anyone went with the Superfast line so is Breeze the only one? Just some incredible feedback already and absolutely gorgeous setups. Breeze, LOVED the saw in your video... pure awesome. Epic just isn't enough!

Kudos again to TaylorMade for getting it right (and Callaway and JB/THP for even conjuring up such an idea!) This has to become a semi-annual event (though I'm sure you guys are having enough fun planning this one!) because i've started saving for the THP outing and haven't come close yet, but if this comes up again I might remortgage the house to make it happen!

Keep the pics and vids coming guys!

CB & Belbin were the only ones with the SF 2.0 driver. CB also added a SF 3 wood. Thanks for following along and contributing SS!

I have a feeling he will get a crash course. Same goes for Esox, DD, and Jrod. They have not experienced the quick wit brutality that is JB.

Seriously? You must have skimmed alot. Pretty sure JB has taken a shot at me on more than one occasion.

On a more important note.... Nice video Belbin, that driver looks mean!

Belbin, liked your unboxing video a lot.

Come on Ary...show 'em what you got buddy!

Seriously? You must have skimmed alot. Pretty sure JB has taken a shot at me on more than one occasion.

On a more important note.... Nice video Belbin, that driver looks mean!

I think he means in person. ;)

Great video my Canadian brother! Love that you went Burner superfast 2.0 for your driver. I had another driving range session with it today and I'm hitting the ball further than I ever have before. I'm absolutley in love with the driver and 3 wood, but here is what I like the best about the 2.0 driver, I can't hit it right, ever, and I love that. I think a very important thing (at least for me) is to only have one miss, and with this driver, I'm hitting 10 yard fades all day, with the occational straight ball. This means for me, I can just aim up the right center of the fairway, and I don't care a lick what is further right, if I hit a straight ball, i'm on the right side of the fairway, my normal shot, then I'm in the middle, and if I miss it, then I'm just further left. I love having not to worry at all about whats on the other side of the fairway. I also had a very good day with the hybrids today. I've set them both to higher and now I'm seeing the ball flight that I love. I can really tell that in that setting I am seeing a litle more spin, and a slightly better launch angle. I'll leave the grips the way they are for now, but before the MC I will regrip them so that the lines are pointing the right way. I'm still in love with the 3 wood, its long, its straight, and its really really long. In fact its so long that my next round I might just tee off with the three wood more often than not, because I just can't seem to miss with it. Anyway, I just got back from a crazy day at work and I need to spend some time with the boy before I further get into some banter, but I'll be back in a bit.

Oh well....that's another story.

I'll make sure I wear my Michael Vick jersey.

Where a Michael Vick jersey at either the tournament or the THP dinner and you will either be golfing indoors or eating outdoors.... :alien:

Where a Michael Vick jersey at either the tournament or the THP dinner and you will either be golfing indoors or eating outdoors.... :alien:

Not both?

CB - I love that the 2 tall Canadians went with the SF 2.0 TP drivers. Maybe we know something everyone else doesn't! I still haven't hit mine yet as my course was closed tonight

I'm absolutley in love with the driver and 3 wood, but here is what I like the best about the 2.0 driver, I can't hit it right, ever, and I love that. I think a very important thing (at least for me) is to only have one miss, and with this driver, I'm hitting 10 yard fades all day, with the occational straight ball. This means for me, I can just aim up the right center of the fairway, and I don't care a lick what is further right, if I hit a straight ball, i'm on the right side of the fairway, my normal shot, then I'm in the middle, and if I miss it, then I'm just further left. I love having not to worry at all about whats on the other side of the fairway.

Turn all of this around to the other side and that's how I felt about my driver earlier today. It's a really nice feeling. Glad that you're having good results with the clubs CB!

CB - I love that the 2 tall Canadians went with the SF 2.0 TP drivers. Maybe we know something everyone else doesn't! I still haven't hit mine yet as my course was closed tonight

I think we do, my fellow Canuck. I love that driver, I'm not sure you need to be longer though.

Turn all of this around to the other side and that's how I felt about my driver earlier today. It's a really nice feeling. Glad that you're having good results with the clubs CB!

Thats great man. Glad you are loving the great TM sticks so far.

The SuperCanuck 2.0 will be deadly at the MC.

Loved the video, Belbin!

40-60 for you at 300-330 is like 20-25 for me at 240-250.

like i said - not missing it much - and 20-30 yards isnt too bad. guess i havent hit a really forgiving driver then. even teh super tri didnt go too far when i didnt hit perfect

I was able to go out and play a round this afternoon at Pendleton Golf Club, which was in great shape. It's a pretty tough course, so accuracy off the tee is typically rewarded. I was hitting the R11 great today, which was nice for a change. I have been battling with a weak slice, but today I only saw the right side of the course once. This was just because of a lazy swing that resulted in a high push. For the most part today I hit the driver straight with a nice mid trajectory. I had ZERO lost balls from the tee! I am loving the new R11 driver and hybrid, but still have some work to do with the 3w. I was able to capture some vid's on the course/range and have a question for some of you. Is this normal or am I releasing too soon? The ball flight was a little high, but it went straight.
VID00021-1.jpg

Here is the vid of the swing:
[YOUTUBE]MnGwcrE0h5c[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Nice bag behind ya there DD. :alien:

Nice bag behind ya there DD. :alien:

Darn! I didn't even notice that. It's my buddies, he has TM irons though:act-up:

That's a smooth looking swing, DoubleD

the bend in that shaft is CRAZY

Don't listen to them DD! Your swing looks great bro, and Esox just shat a salad and Yoccos just burped up some taquitos.

Back