The Possibility of Another Morgan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up on this completely wore me out!!

I dont think anyone should care who is in the next MC, its not my business or yours for that matter. I am very happy I got to be in the first one and if somehow I get in number 2 I will proudly do my best. I agree with a lot of the disappointment in people watching our videos. I have some videos with 30 views and less. Its just disappointing. I also got a request to post a follow up video of my thoughts from TMC, I never did one because I did a writeup, the beauty of a writeup is I have no disappointment of number of views.

This thread has shown some true colors, its very apparent who is interested in this for the right reasons and for the wrong reasons. In the end, JB and GG will make the best decision for their company to continue to grow and I will support them in whatever they chose. I was on THP for well over a year before I got my first testing opportunity or swag for that matter and I never said a word! You still wouldnt hear me say anything ot this day. I got picked for the SCOR testing and the first comment was that an MCer got picked. Who cares people.....are you only here for testing? I came ot this site to gain knowledge of the sport, what I really gained was knowledge and BEST friends for life. Thats what this site means to me. Maybe people shouldnt be so worried about the free gear and just enjoy THP, the rest works itself out.

There were tons of people chosen for testing when TMC people were not, and I was nothing but happy for any testers chosen. I have always been that way and I always will be that way.

OK so I've written paragraphs and paragraphs about my feelings. I erased every one of them because I wanted no hard feelings. So my short and sweet opinion is this:

MC spot should be earned. Post history tells me that a person is invested in this site because they love the site/people here. Those people will do the work that needs to get done in order to make the event a success. I am not saying that the same people should be chosen every time. But to throw them out and exclude them for the next one is crazy. They are icons on this site for a reason. They should be rewarded for doing the work all year long.

I'm not making this post to counter any single post. Just a rambling of thoughts in my head as I read this thread.

As someone that was able to see this event upclose and personal I would like to add my two cents.

First all of the MCrs, IMO, did a great job with their promos. To my knowledge non of you make a living in front of a camera. You guys handled it with class and genuine opinions. If you weren't scared, then you weren't alive.
Being treated like a pro is a great experience and now you all see just a little piece of what those guys, we watch on tv, go through on a weekly basis. Hitting the ball is only part of the job. It ain't easy!
It's also not easy to formulate an opinion at the drop of hat. Your guys did well!
As to the MC thread, I stuck my head in there a handful of times and backed out each time. I honestly felt that it was for the MCrs and their trash talk/banter. I liken the MC thread to a double Dutch (duel jump roping) tournament. I could never find a spot to jump in. This is just me, it does not diminish my feelings about the event or those that competed. I think the event was fantastic and I hope I can get in on the next one whether is be as player or a volunteer. The competition is what I miss and to be part of something I feel will create and have history would be special. This event has a huge life if JB&GG want it. My feelings is that could grow into something very big over the years.

I'll be honest, as the event drew closer, I became jealous. I was jealous that these 16 guys would walk away with a life time of memories and friendships. You can't help but have that happen. The other stuff is all secondary! This is no way places THP, TaylorMade, Callaway or Reunion as second fiddle. They all
made the event and provided the vehicle for the MCrs. But the spirit of the event lives in the hearts and minds of those that were a part of it. I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.
What ever happens moving forward with 2.0 it will have my support, time and energy....I believe in the event that much, as most everyone else does as well.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Sorry Sean, but I dont agree with this. I havent met or personally talked to any of the MC participants (or frequent supporters). I butted my way into the thread during the lead up as I wanted to pick a side so I would stay more interested in the event. My questions were answered and my support was acknowledged. I think I asked for forum name translations when every pairing was announced. Within minutes several people provided them for me in the posts and even in a few PMs.

Great posts guys. I didn't get to quote everyone I wanted too but its not because I just picked those I agreed with.

I :love: you sir, maybe one day we can eat some steaks together.

This made me laugh. It's probably the only thing in this thread that made me do so.

Catching up on this completely wore me out!!

I dont think anyone should care who is in the next MC, its not my business or yours for that matter. I am very happy I got to be in the first one and if somehow I get in number 2 I will proudly do my best. I agree with a lot of the disappointment in people watching our videos. I have some videos with 30 views and less. Its just disappointing. I also got a request to post a follow up video of my thoughts from TMC, I never did one because I did a writeup, the beauty of a writeup is I have no disappointment of number of views.

This thread has shown some true colors, its very apparent who is interested in this for the right reasons and for the wrong reasons. In the end, JB and GG will make the best decision for their company to continue to grow and I will support them in whatever they chose. I was on THP for well over a year before I got my first testing opportunity or swag for that matter and I never said a word! You still wouldnt hear me say anything ot this day. I got picked for the SCOR testing and the first comment was that an MCer got picked. Who cares people.....are you only here for testing? I came ot this site to gain knowledge of the sport, what I really gained was knowledge and BEST friends for life. Thats what this site means to me. Maybe people shouldnt be so worried about the free gear and just enjoy THP, the rest works itself out.

There were tons of people chosen for testing when TMC people were not, and I was nothing but happy for any testers chosen. I have always been that way and I always will be that way.

Great posts guys. I didn't get to quote everyone I wanted too but its not because I just picked those I agreed with.

Great post One-T, I think you're cool. Jrod, I'll eat a steak with you. Tmex, you're my favorite.

This made me laugh. It's probably the only thing in this thread that made me do so.

Dean I miss you buddy, it was so fun playing golf with all you guys.

Great post One-T, I think you're cool. Jrod, I'll eat a steak with you. Tmex, you're my favorite.

It's on in May. I don't have to worry about not eing able to tee it up in the morning so I can go hog wild!

dude....I will buy you a steak...a 2 oz ribeye. I miss you!

Some good information in here. I am glad we have had some honesty from some. I am thankful that they are around to keep things even. I know the "right" thing to say is its not about the equipment, so going against the grain makes me realize how honest some are being.

My thoughts on the MC:

Loved the banter, unboxing vids, comic vids, captains vids and the sheer joy of the participants. I think the joy, love for the game and camaraderie is what the MC is all about. I was genuinely happy for all the participants and am still in awe of how professional this event has been from start to finish. Participating in the next MC? We should all be so lucky! Whom ever gets picked I´ll be happy for them. The threads ran away sometimes for me and sure, it was hard to keep up. Sometimes I did and sometimes I didn´t - It was always going to be my own choice.

I really hope there will be a next MC because this one was fantastic!

In large groups some people will always behave badly or seem ungrateful, its just the way things work. What I think you should remember is that they are almost always in minority and you shouldn´t waste energy on them trying to convert them. This place is free for all, and if you don´t like it you can leave - Its your choice, after all is said and done.

Oh, and YAAAAAAAAAAAAY Paradise!!!!

Some good information in here. I am glad we have had some honesty from some. I am thankful that they are around to keep things even. I know the "right" thing to say is its not about the equipment, so going against the grain makes me realize how honest some are being.

It's hard to believe anyone would not be extremely excited about the equipment side here and very disapointed at not making a team, but I'm most disapointed at anyone being so disapointed as to not support this great event. These guys worked extremely hard and while a few things may need ironed out there's simply no way everyone can go to this. The rest of us MUST learn to live through the eye's of those who get there and share in the joy of it through them. Support for the companies who chose to be involved and THP starts here, I know I will be looking for ways to support who ever makes the next set of teams, if there is another.

I'll post this, and some may not agree with me, and that is fine, I just say what I think/feel.

Qualifications
I don't really have a problem with how the participants qualified for the MC. I was one of the lucky ones ;) There has been a few ideas of different ways to qualify. I like the ones about an audition tape ala Survivor or the Big Break. I'll keep thinking about this, and see if I come up with any more ideas.

Equipment
Yes this Morgan Cup was about the equipment. I cannot deny that it was THE major draw for me as well as many others. Did I gripe about not getting all of the equipment in what I consider to be a timely fashion? - yes. Would I have participated in the Morgan Cup even if I didn't get to keep this equipment? - Yes. Would I have paid the $399 to do so - probably not, without the "free" gear it is pretty much just an outing with a bit of competition. Having been to 2 outings (and counting) I didn't really need to go to another one just 3 months after one.

Trash Talk
Personally, while not being great at the trash talk, I tried to get into it. Mostly I think I was unsuccessful at it. I did take some of the trash talk personally, and I do feel it took away from the event. I backed off the trash talk and out of the thread at times, because of the "tone" of a lot of it. For something that was supposed to be about having fun and representing some fabulous companies, I can't honestly believe that they would want their "pros" to behave like that. Just my $0.02.

Time commitment/Posting
I have to say, my wife was happy when it was over, because it really did consume pretty much all my free time, for the last few months leading up to the event. When I wasn't working/sleeping I was either golfing, reading/posting on THP or filming videos. All of this was done in preparation for the MC. Was I as active as others during the day - no way, my job simply did not allow me to be. I wish I could have posted more, however, my situation just didn't allow for it. I was never informed directly about my participation, or lack there of.

Videos
I filmed my fair share of videos. They were both time consuming and difficult to come up with. I took it personally when I worked hard on a video and it would get maybe 30 views, and no comments. A lot of this is me wanting others to acknowledge it, maybe I am too needy? But I know I am not the only MC'er that feel this way.

Overall
I enjoyed every second of being a part of the MC, and if I had the oportunity to participate in the MC 2.0 (and beyond) I would jump at the chance. THP has become part of my life, and I will continue to support it in every way I can. If there is a MC 2.0 and I don't get to participate I will be around to participate in the thread and support those who do. Oh and I'll watch all their videos, I promise.

Ryan

Holy Crap, a lot has happened in this thread in the last 48 hours. I ah half way through and doing some massive coloneling, so I apologize for that in advance.

Lots of stuff in this thread while I have been in the woods in a land of no cell service. My views on this are fairly well known and I have my own thoughts on if there ever was a MC 2.0 on how signup and the people chosen could go, but really should any of this matter? Enjoy the forum post and have fun, banter with your friends and enjoy great golf talk. If you do that simply because u love the forum and the members and your friends, your activity level will speak for itself if there ever was a MC 2.0.

Well said CB. I would love to be selected, but honestly, it has no bearing on how much, or what I post. There are many THP'ers that I consider my friends, and this is where I get to speak to them about a game we love.

The more I think of it, the more I'd like to see an invitation only event. The outings have enough slots to allow newer members to be introduced to THP events and really get to know the community. An invitation only event would allow THP to eliminate some risk and go with proven posters, reviewers, and personalities.

This could also lead to the feeling of the MC being a responsibility to THP and the OEMs rather than something that was an award.

I agree with this completely, but could see lots of complaining if it were to go invitation only, although, the people that are complaining are probably the people that are here for the wrong reasons

And it shouldnt and to get around that, we had questions that had to be answered that people would only know from being "part of" this forum.

While I agree in principal, to me there is very little difference in those 1 line answers and those that only come on here to "banter". You know to drop funny one liners when they get a chance, never discuss anything golf related or THP related, etc...Im not singling anybody out or saying anybody was guilty of that, but quality should mean quality, not just quality that some find amusing.

This was originally going to be the way it was done. However have you seen the backlash with just testing? Could you imagine what it would be with this?
I have actually thought quite a bit about this. Not sure really, but I would be lying if I said it had not crossed my mind.

See my above response for the bolded portion

We had two Canadians involved in the MC. Skimmer, lol.

I find this thread entertaining. Team THP should have whoever they want involved for the betterment of their business. They know who are good assets and ambassadors and they should be able to choose who they want to participate and the forum should support their decision. Same goes for testing.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Exactly, and again, see my above posting.

From which outing? The most recent one? Or should someone from the very first one get some sort of preferential treatment?
The amount of lobbying going on in here is insane. Why can't JB & GG just decide who participates? It's their website, their business, and their professional relationships at stake.

Can someone please give me a reason why that's not a good idea?

Edit: thanks for the explanantion smalls!

I don't think this can be done. Too many newbies go to the outing (myself included) that disappear right afterwards or even before once they are confirmed (myself NOT included).

I can. Because the idea is to grow THP. And if people feel as though they have no shot at participating at something like this, THP does not grow at the same rate.

Then they are not here for the right reasons. JB, you could send me a PM today that said I would never be picked for a Morgan Cup event, and would never be picked to test another item, and I would still be here every day, and you and anyone else that knows me, knows that is true.

So what if there is a handicap restriction again?

Point is: someone will be left out. In fact, a lot of people will. It happens, it's life. What was sad was how little support and participation there was in the MC thread for so long. That showed me that plenty of people didn't care once they weren't part of it. I'm not signed up for the outing, but I chat away in that thread. Why? B/c it's important for/to THP.

I think you should select the selfless and not the selfish. They're the people who truly get it.

This is exactly why I tried to become so active in The Morgan Cup, and I appreciate that you are supporting the outing.

Really??? I thought the MC would include all those who support THP. The commitment a lot of us showed in the first one should show how much we did/do care.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

I agree. I have no issue with repeating some of the same MC'ers, but not a complete repeat. I think others should have the opportunity as well.

More coloneling...sorry, but I am still like 20 pages back.

I completely disagree with you. As with testing, it's an earned privilege, not a right.

This is exactly why I have no issues with an invitation only event, but would hope there would be at least some new blood.

This is just my opinion but yeah. I think that most of them did a fantastic job. I don't know what to say on the subject though to be honest. I trust JB & GG to come up with something that is fair to everyone. I consider THP a great part of my life. That might sound crazy to some but I went through a pretty dark period in my life, BUT THEN YORKEM BOUGHT ME A STEP STOOL SO I COULD REACH THE LIGHT SWITCH, and THP set me on a better path and I'm a happier person because of this place. I'd do whatever is asked of me to further THP. If there was a selection process and my name never came up I would cheer wholeheartedly for the lucky 16. There were some pretty iconic THP'ers in the first MC. It would be a shame to not allow them to compete in the 2nd. Just my opinion though:comp:

FIFY...hehehe

Lets say you have a company. Your company has an opportunity to do something that will further it's brand. You need to pick 16 of your best people to do this job. Would you exclude 16 guys because they did a great job on the prior project? This is not about us THP'ers getting an opportunity. This is about us THP'ers furthering THP. I completely understand your viewpoint Matty. I was not part of the 16 myself and would love to be in this. But if it were my business and I knew that 8 of those 16 were given A++++ marks from TM & Callaway, I would want those guys on my next project. Again just my opinion.

I agree completely

Wow this thread blew up quick! Here's a perspective from someone who didn't qualify for the last one... I think folks need to take a step back and look at this event from a global perspective. Are there going to be restrictions, absolutely. 100% there will be because there will be folks that come into THP looking for free swag that would want this experience and then run off into oblivion. It has happened before and I'm sure Team THP will try their darnest for it not to happen again. As far as the handicap restriction that's up to Team THP. I was crushed that I couldn't qualify because of this. Did you see me kick and scream and complain? Nope. It made me want to work on my game so I can participate for MC 2.0 if there was going to be one. Did I stop there? Nope. I participated in the thread, I volunteered my services (even if it was only for a day) and I embraced the event for what it was supposed to be for.

It's a huuuuge responsibility from both the backend in Team THP and the OEM's and the players that are selected. They shouldn't give those just to anyone walking off the street. And if you decide that there is nothing in THP that is worth while if you don't get selected for The MC then maybe THP made the right call in not selecting you because it's far more encompassing than just the event itself.

I for one am looking forward to the next MC, whenever that may be. In the time being I'm gonna work my butt off lowering the cap, being "active" on THP as much as time can give me, go to the next outing and meet awesome folks, meeting up with other THP'ers whenever they are up for a round and be helpful to Team THP as much as they would like me to be. And if I don't get in or qualify, c'est la vie and hope for a MC 3.0 and support MC 2.0 in the mean time however much I can do so.

Well said Spank, and yes, my support started a little later. Actually, it started right after the outing, when I met a bunch MC'ers, and THP'ers that were not in the MC. Why? Because after I met you I felt more comfortable, and, after you met me you started responding to some of my posts.

Thank you for your honest answer. I am trying to figure out why the MC is so attractive to some and the outing is not. I know what I feel is the reason, but everybody always seems to say "its not about the equipment", so I am left searching for answers.

Honestly JB, as cool as the MC was, I think if I had a choice between the 2, I would choose the outing. Maybe it is because I am not a great golfer, and maybe it is because I have first hand experience of an outing, but meeting everyone this past year has given me some friends that I will have for life, and no equipment can replace that.

Umm, prior to folks declaring sides to root for there was very little forum participation in the MC thread. You do realize that the MC was like 6 months long, not just the weekend of Aug 19-21?

See my reply to Spank above.

So if we eliminated the interview and promo side of it, you dont believe the experience would be the same? or do you think the outing would be more interesting to you? What do you think would happen if we changed the aspect only slightly and everything was exactly the same, but at the end of it, all the equipment was donated to the First Tee?

You would see a lot less people involved, but, you would get the right people.

Epic Colonel'ing Yorkem!

I think if there's another Morgan Cup, I'm applying for it, just to piss people off. And I'm going to go after every equipment testing too. Why not? I'm only here for the hard goods.

Epic Colonel'ing Yorkem!

I think if there's another Morgan Cup, I'm applying for it, just to piss people off. And I'm going to go after every equipment testing too. Why not? I'm only here for the hard goods.

this made me lol, well done TC

Finally read all the way through! Just a little more coloneling.

ah, so b/c you felt ignored in the MC thread you just gave up on it. I've got news for you, the amount of videos or posts I made that went "ignored" by those not involved in the MC was too many to count. But you know what? You can't stop doing it. Many of you are proving a point: it's a long term process. It's a lot of work, but it's a lot of fun. I don't feel sorry for someone for not wanting to participate. Hawk, chunkylover, mcook, Ole Gray, they all had a blast in that thread. Kudos to them.

Allow me to play devils advocate here: for the months leading up to the Morgan Cup, there was a lot of equipment testing conducted by THP. A lot! I don't think a MC'er was involved in any of that testing. Ironically, a thread had to be revived b/c those threads weren't being kept up like they should. That thread was bumped up by THP, no one else. Should those involved in those tests not be allowed to test again in the future? I mean, they've had their chance too, right? Some of it was good, some of it wasn't, but should there be a second chance for those who were told publically to "step it up"?

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. It's amazing how certain opportunities are completely ignored. I hope there is another Morgan Cup, and I'm sure THP will do what's best for them, and that's all that matters. Personal agendas need to be set aside. If I never participate again, fine. I'll still support it. I'm not part of the Outing, but I participate in that thread b/c it's fun and b/c it involves my friends. I can also guarantee you this: I will be at the next Morgan Cup, as a volunteer if I have to b/c it really is something special.

There is a ton of complaining about being ignored in this thread, and I have a couple of questions. How many posts did you make that went ignored? One? Two? Five? Is that when you gave up on a thread with more than 22,000 posts? Also, what did you say that was ignored? A one or two word reponse to someone else's post? Did you try and do anything fun? Some good and original trash talk? Pick a side and get a supporter tag? Make a video? If not, please, stop complaining. Not every one of my posts in that thread was replied to, but I didn't let that stop me from posting.

Exactly!!!!!! You/I/MC'ers put in a ton of effort on videos and photos and updates and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who was watching and supporting and who wasn't.

What's being failed to be realized is what if THP's plans were to reward those who supported and participated with the MC 1.0 w/ the MC 2.0?

I realize I did not see every video, and went on vacation for the last 2 weeks of July, but I did immediately jump back into that thread when I got back. It was just fun for me. heck, I even posted a video in there, and I wasn't "involved", but it was fun. Arrgghh...I am getting angry!

It's funny that the ones in here arguing/discussing are probably some of the most passionate about THP. The ones we are talking about who ignored the MC aren't even in here to tell us why.

Neither are most of the MCers KB.

Very insightful KB and JB

I do think that the participants themselves could have done more to promote the event in advance, but I don't know if it would have made a difference. There were videos when equipment came and there were posts about it, but from many people, that was about it. Stop in and give a couple retorts, an LOL, and we'll see you tomorrow if we're lucky. Add to that some quick tempers, whining, and surliness and it got weird at times.

I'm sure there are people that thought I talked too much trash or whatever. I don't agree and I explained why a couple of times. If people didn't care who won, they didn't care at all. Hell, we made a 50 page thread with wagers on the thing. I thought that was awesome. The trash talk created things like the Captain Intensity, Graybush, THP Cribs, videos etc. It sure as hell beat watching people hit shots out of the sand and giving reports on their scores imo.

I think it has to be about the competition and the companies. The one thing I really remember about the video coverage was Jake's emotion in sinking that putt. That drew me in and made me excited to watch.

I will be honest Hawk, I tried to keep up with you and Mcook with the trash talk, because I thought that was a great way for non MC THP'ers to be involved, and feel a part of it. I loved how much you guys talked, and while I know that I didn't keep up with you two, I did feel that I was a part of the entire event..even if I did get One-T yelled at on camera (sorry about that buddy...hehehe).

Epic Colonel'ing Yorkem!

I KNEW it! hahaha

Epic Colonel'ing Yorkem!

Thanks bro...I try. You should do it! Furthermore, I think it would be a huge mistake if you were not in the next MC, and, your reviews of equipment are some of the best I have read. If people get pissed, too bad, they should try harder!

Epic Colonel'ing Yorkem!

This was funny! I like your sense of humor TC

Thanks bro...I try. You should do it! Furthermore, I think it would be a huge mistake if you were not in the next MC, and, your reviews of equipment are some of the best I have read. If people get pissed, too bad, they should try harder!

BOOM!! That is my thoughts exactly. If I saw someone get picked twice I wouldn't complain. I would look at what they are doing and emulate it. Just be a good forumer. I think there are a ton of new folks who have been excellent and I would have zero issues cheering them on. This is not about us!! It's about THP

BOOM!! That is my thoughts exactly. If I saw someone get picked twice I wouldn't complain. I would look at what they are doing and emulate it. Just be a good forumer. I think there are a ton of new folks who have been excellent and I would have zero issues cheering them on. This is not about us!! It's about THP

I'm with you CL. I dont understand why people feel the need to pout when they are left out of something, be it the MC or Testing equipment. I cant stand to listen to someone whine. Yes, everyone loves free equipment, but that isnt what THP is all about.

Even today, on the signups for the Adams Irons, 2 new posters come in and say that they would be more active if they got to test it out. Then one of the two follows a post up saying, "If I cant be involved with the website, I will just move on." Seriously? That pissed me off.

This thread is pretty much wrapped up, and I for one have learned a lot. Really when it comes down to it, the Morgan Cup 2.0 if it exists needs to be filled with 16 golfers who all have THP and their OEM's best interest at heart, and who are active and informational on the forum, regardless of who those golfers are. This will not be a difficult task are there are many people on the forum who meet this criteria, some were in the first Morgan Cup, others were not, but I can guarantee you I will be there to help in whatever way I can (mostly ineptly).

I'm with you CL. I dont understand why people feel the need to pout when they are left out of something, be it the MC or Testing equipment. I cant stand to listen to someone whine. Yes, everyone loves free equipment, but that isnt what THP is all about.

Its interesting from the outside looking in because of the dynamics behind the outing and/or the MC. While we will hear people talk about not getting "in" to the Morgan Cup, we rarely hear of someone upset that they did not get into the outing (usually because plenty of spots are there).

This thread is pretty much wrapped up, and I for one have learned a lot. Really when it comes down to it, the Morgan Cup 2.0 if it exists needs to be filled with 16 golfers who all have THP and their OEM's best interest at heart, and who are active and informational on the forum, regardless of who those golfers are. This will not be a difficult task are there are many people on the forum who meet this criteria, some were in the first Morgan Cup, others were not, but I can guarantee you I will be there to help in whatever way I can (mostly ineptly).

This +1000000 perfect and rep added

Its interesting from the outside looking in because of the dynamics behind the outing and/or the MC. While we will hear people talk about not getting "in" to the Morgan Cup, we rarely hear of someone upset that they did not get into the outing (usually because plenty of spots are there).

Slightly off topic, but related to your post. I have been to 1 outing, earlier this year. I am signed up for the next one, and my wife knows that this will be an annual trip for me because this is when I get to get together with my friends from THP, and if I ever didn't get into the outing, I would definitely be upset, but, I would also be thrilled for the people going, and hope for a late opening or the addition of spots.

Of course it's the right thing to say, however anyone who says that is blatantly lying. Anyone on this forum would kill to be fully fit for a bag like the pros. What many have to realize are all the other benefits of the MC. Everyone needs to check out all of the recap posts/videos. They all have great info on why it was so great.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back