TP Mills Putter Thread

This was back in the bag today, I missed her.

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

While I am NOT AT ALL a fan of the recent CS that was happening with some representing TP Mills, which has changed since my last dealings it appear with some moving to focus on other things. I do absolutely respect the hell out of David Mills and his talents, I used to own a LOT of custom putters, but this is the one that remains...and even then it had to make its way back to me at one point. Nothing I have rolled ever feels like a Mills to me, it just doesn't. I won't game it full time just because, but I could easily, I love this one though.

So, I've been gaming this one a LOT lately. Its not a knock on any of my beloved SeeMore's, its just that there is no putter that I've ever rolled that feels like this one, and I'm on a flow neck with a little offset kick right now. Its been SO much fun.

Jamesman - is that deep milled? I can't tell by the pictures.

So, I've been gaming this one a LOT lately. Its not a knock on any of my beloved SeeMore's, its just that there is no putter that I've ever rolled that feels like this one, and I'm on a flow neck with a little offset kick right now. Its been SO much fun.

I remember rolling a TPM for a couple of weeks back when I first joined the forum.. Man that Putter felt great.

Jamesman - is that deep milled? I can't tell by the pictures.

Nope, not deep at all.

But with the way David does the pocket cavities on his putters, it really doesn't need it. Its softer at impact than any deep milled putter I've owned.

I remember rolling a TPM for a couple of weeks back when I first joined the forum.. Man that Putter felt great.

David does great work, I think most of his focus is on Japan now though with his former "rep" focusing in on Piedmont Leathers now and not T.P. Mills.

I would love to do another custom someday, I've considered going Mills for my "Charlotte" putter, that or Kari.

She sure is pretty Jman, glad to hear she's back home.

I currently have 2 TP Mills SoftTails (1 carbon, 1 stainless) and a Mizuno TP Mills #1 in my collection. I game the #1 occasionally though after reading through this thread, I think I will have to put at least one of the SoftTails into the rotation.

Hueys ftw! I doubt I'll ever sell mine. Sooooo good and I roll it well so that's a bonus

I want a center shafted Huey.

That putter looks soooo good at address it's almost sickening.

Huey. I like that idea.

A Ming (Anser shape with a flare toe, I think) was really well done by TP Mills

I really want TP Mills to get some options available. Also, I really like the idea that the company is in better hands.

Huey. I like that idea.

A Ming (Anser shape with a flare toe, I think) was really well done by TP Mills

I really want TP Mills to get some options available. Also, I really like the idea that the company is in better hands.

Honestly, I don't know WHAT hands it is in. David is still the man and is still churning them out, but most business is to Japan now I believe. There's currently not a direct US rep that I know of.

Honestly, I don't know WHAT hands it is in. David is still the man and is still churning them out, but most business is to Japan now I believe. There's currently not a direct US rep that I know of.

Sadface. Good thing there are a plethora of high end boutique putter companies out there.

Sadface. Good thing there are a plethora of high end boutique putter companies out there.

But none, none, NONE, with the history of this one. Its why I keep coming back to them, there's just nothing like a Mills, I hope we start to see a shift for the better in the general market and not just the small circle of fanatics, Buck knows what I am talking about there, I really feel like they had a chance to snowball som momentum a few years ago and just stumbled the whole way.

Unless/until they can do something that draws the attention of average golfers TP Mills will remain "that putter I inherited from grandpa".
I only learned about the brand via eBay and even then I originally thought it was a Spaulding model until I came across the Mizuno versions.
I think my SoftTails are much better than any of the versions from a very popular company that I've tried and he doesn't have half the history of TP Mills.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I want this one back, but I forgot who I sold it too.

u7e7y7y5.jpg

I want that one back too.

So awesome. Wish it was still here.

As an guy that has always held the historic work that Truett Mills did in high regards, I was very lucky this past week to purchase this all original No.12 that was handmade by TP, more than likely in the very late 1960 to early 1970's. This one is staying as is and will not ever be restored. It is one that needs to be preserved as it is a true survivor of the old days, and yes it will get gamed.

t4xona.jpg

30mrbkz.jpg

24o8589.jpg

Beautiful!

It's a beautiful blade Hoosier

The only thing off is that it has a new grip, so it will get a 1970's Golf Pride Taction Action with a collar, and I might try using some new white paint with a bit of yellow to give it a dirty look and redo the paintfill. Other than that, I want to preserve this one. TP made a lot of No.12's but not a ton of them. He mostly made "Ones".

Received the putter. This one is straight into the bag. I have removed the old paintfill as some of it was missing, and I will work to restore that this evening. As tempting as it is to restore this one, I am leaving it alone right now. There are getting to be so few of these original No.12's un-restored, that I'm happy with the idea of preserving this one as is. The worse thing is the original flat front, deemed illegal grip that TP used on these was already gone.

I did pull the original shaft as well as it was only at 33 inches and the ferrule was damaged a little. I'm lucky to still have 2 new old stock original pencil shafts and ferrules, so I will replace those but keep the original shaft. Paintfill is 99% removed in the last pic and it ready to restore.

10870o5.jpg

oqx9it.jpg

ilc1v6.jpg

28016hi.jpg

11hf6s4.jpg

Paintfill has now been replaced, reshafted with a new pencil shaft and ferrule, and a very hard to find NOS Golf Pride Traction Action grip. Wish it had the correct TP Mills leather Handmade grip, but my only choice was to go with something that is at least period correct.

1ood5c.jpg

210bko0.jpg

2dmi4x4.jpg

3447gk3.jpg

My Fleetwood Hi-Toe Custom:

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

My Huey Custom ("Darth Huey" hehe):

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

This top BEAUTY is my favorite headshape out there (yes, more than the mFGP2). Poor putter met an iron head being knocked off of a shelf and onto it a couple years ago and has sat ever since. NO MORE!

Sending it into Kari for a refinish, its borderline Mills blasphemy, but I'm doing it anyways because I want to roll some Fleetwood Hi-Toe awesomeness again.

Lots of dead pic links in here, makes me sad. I'll remedy that this year though.

I scan the bay from time to time for a softail, preferably in black. I need to make this happen this year as well.

Back