What were your FIRST set of clubs?

gapwedge

Reaction score
Handicap
Hope this thread isn't in the archive, here goes.

What were your first set of clubs? Everyone had to have a "first" set; or you couldn't have been called a beginner.

I remember my first set of golf clubs (my Irish Granny called them "golfing sticks) and I have her to thank for my first golf bag courtesy of JC HIggins and Company. My clubs on the other hand came one or two at a time. The first one to make it in my bag was a Wilson "Johnny Bulla" persimmon driver with a faded real leather head cover with half of the #1 missing. Soon to follow was a Salvation Army pair of irons with wood shafts covered with some kind of plastic material that was faded and cracked (niblic, spoon, half spoon and and old Kroydon 8 iron) that's 4 isn't it. My putter was a hand me down by the neighbor man and it was an old blade putter with a hickory shaft and "Sam Snead" stamped on the back (I think it was a Spaulding) make.
I had a metal shaft on the 5 and 7 iron and they were an old K-28 model with both missing the hosels. Rounding out my set was a sand wedge with a metal shaft and that was a "Sarazen" original. It was left handed, but still, you had to have a wedge in your bag. (I'm right handed) I think back and learning to hit sand shots left handed has helped with my balance all these years. I regripped all my clubs almost weekly with the electricians tape I kept handy in my golf bag. Never used a glove, back in the day you could buy "half" gloves for $2.50, never saw the value there. Golf balls, heck what is an 11 year old going to do when he's not on the links? Look for balls in the woods and rough. Anything other than a "club special" by achusnet was sold for greens tickets and soda pop.

That's my story, I started lean, but learned the game and what does Ping say? "Play your best"

Wilson ProStaff, bought as a set from a non-sporting goods store! Oooh, maybe 20 years ago now. Still got them in the garage :)

Top Flight XL 7000 set. Learned to really dig some gopher holes on the course with those!

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Callaway x-14 steel heads with graphite S-flex shafts.... Got them about 6 months ago when I got to Japan.... Waiting for my razr x's to get here hopefully sometime next week :)

mine were a starter set called Colt. was a full set of clubs driver to putter. great set to start off with gotten as part of a deal for €400 i think, clubs, bag, pull trolley, hi-tec shoes, dozen dunlop balls, wilson glove and small bag of wooden tees. from then on i was hooked best thing i ever bought

I had a set of Tommy Armour 845's, they were a fun set of clubs.

My first set was from US Kids Golf. My grandpa bought them for me when I was 8 or 9. They still hang in the garage at my parent's house.

1984 Hogan Apex irons.

First set I bought myself were the Tommy Armour 845s.
First wedges I bought myself were the Cleveland 588s.
First driver I bought myself was The Judge, by Founders Club.

Spauling Executives that my dad got me for Christmas. Still think it was the best gift I ever got

Adams tight lies lol. Made my first birdie with them

tapatalk addict....

My first set as 10 or 11 year old was a cut down Wilson set with a 3, 5, 7, 9 iron and putter that my dear old dad bought me.

My first set was Wilson blades. Can't remember what model any longer as its been almost 40 years. I think my hands are still stinging from them. I also had a set of Spalding blades right after the Wilsons.

My first set was a full set of Precision II King XPS and I had a Tour Star putter, I actually think I have them still at my parents house.

i can't remember what clubs i first used but im always looking at old clubs on Ebay and online trying to find them. it was so long ago and they were given to me from a neighbor. if i do find them i wanna buy them and go game them for a round.

I bought a bag of random clubs during my senior year of college for like $50.

The irons were "Zenith" -- cheap Ping-style knock-offs - I had two of the heads snap off during the first year.
Ram Tom Watson Driver -- tiny head (maybe 200cc) that had something rattling inside of it
Dunlop 5 wood and Fuzzy Zoeller Pitching wedge -- these were by far the best clubs in the set, leading me to buy an entire set of Dunlops for my second set of clubs a couple of years later
Northwestern putter

Maxfli Crossbax 5-PW with 3 and 4 hybrids! They were great!

First full set I bought was a Slazenger all in one set. I actually bought just one single iron years ago and it was a Northwestern 7 iron that is still in my possession. For those of you that lived in the Northeast I bought it from this place called Bradlees.

My grandfather gave me a set of Arnold Palmers that he had won for one of his aces. Wish I still had them.

Some Junior clubs my Dad bought me. Came with a 1w, 5i, 7i, 9i and a Putter. Hooked ever since.

A set of WalMart junior clubs from pops. Used the putter through high school

I actually built my first set of clubs. I didn't start golfing til my mid 20s when my dad and I took up building component clubs as a hobby. Now, I realize the technology in major brands is so much better but the skills I learned still serve me well.

first set was Hillerich&Bradsby hand me downs from Dad when I was in high school(circa 1965)--remember most how darn small the heads were compared to todays equipment and I gamed alot better then too!!

1984 Hogan Apex irons.

My first set was oddly enough Hogan Apex Irons as well. My dad got them from the Pro Shop at our club and they had been used by our club champion. Ball marks were absolutely dead center (well when I first got them anyway). Used them for years until my dad gave me his set of Lynx. Played those until I was married, job, etc. and no more golf. When I got back into golf earlier is year, bought my own first set (Nike Ignite 3) just in case I didn't get to play much, found THP, practice 2-3 time a week and play once every weekend....I may lose the clubs in the divorce settlement!

I didn't start playing golf really until I returned back in the states from college. I would play while overseas but with rented clubs and it was more about drinking on the course than playing golf. When I first got back in the states I played a lot of softball. One of the guys I played with was the GM at a Country Club and he was telling me that one of his members, who was also a lefty had a set of irons he was trying to sell. I thought that maybe that would be fun to get into golf. I'll never forget it. I gave that guy $250 for a set of Ping i3 "blade" irons (3-SW). I didn't even have a driver, 3wood or anything else. I just tee'd off with a 3iron for the longest time. I was hooked and I had those clubs from 2003 up until about 3 years ago. In fact, I was playing them when I moved to Ash-Vegas. Then I found THP and it's all changed, lol.

Back