Captain obvious: The ridiculous things Johnny Miller says

• I like him

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • I cannot stand him

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • Have zero preference on way or the other

Votes: 37 23.9%

• Total voters
Not doubting he could play back in the day, but that doesn't give him a pass to irritate the crap out of me every Sunday!

Or maybe it does :angry:

I agree. He does have that air about him of "holyer (sp?) than thou"

I guess that's just who he is though. Hopefully the epicness of Sir Nick will counteract him at the Hyundai TOC....

Ease up both of you. Someone started a thread about a golf commentator and while I am sure you would rather discuss Aaron Rodgers nose hairs or Kobe Bryant's latest conquest, this thread seems just fine if you ask me.

THP is a place that welcomes its newer members, not discourages them and it WONT be tolerated.

JB,
If the members here doesn't want me to have a opinion I guess I can move on. I don't understand why some folks just can't let others have a opinion that differs from theirs.

Ease up both of you. Someone started a thread about a golf commentator and while I am sure you would rather discuss Aaron Rodgers nose hairs or Kobe Bryant's latest conquest, this thread seems just fine if you ask me.

THP is a place that welcomes its newer members, not discourages them and it WONT be tolerated.

Aaron Rodgers has better nose hair than Johnny Miller.

Johnny Miller speaks his mind on the air, which I like. I think his insights into the game of golf are a little dated. I much prefer Faldo.

JB,
If the members here doesn't want me to have a opinion I guess I can move on. I don't understand why some folks just can't let others have a opinion that differs from theirs.

THP welcomes its new members and you certainly can have your own opinion.

JB,

I don't like him either I hate when NBC has golf, because he bugs me. I much rather watch CBS. But Johnny Miller knows what it takes to win golf tournaments. He is a tool though.

Be proud of your differing opinions. Don't hide from them. I may have been out of line, I won't delete my post, but it wasn't meant to turn you off to THP.

Plus, I have started some pretty epic threads.

JB,

Don't lump a few into being the many. This is a great place with awesome people and many that love good discussion.

As for me, there are definitely moment that he irritates the piss out of me, but most of the time I like his commentary. I'm one of those in-betweeners on him.

I would rather watch fishing when he is calling the final day of a tournament.

Definitely knowledgable but not really enjoyable to listen to as a commentator.

Earlier in the year, Johnny Miller said that the "young guns" weren't as dedicated to winning because they make so much money off of endorsments that they don't push as hard. I railed against Miller because there are plenty of young golfers who have had marvelous careers up to this point.

And he isn't as good as he remembers himself being.

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to turn you away from THP or hate on your opinion. I deleted my post because I disn't realize it came off that way.

I am the opposite of most, I enjoy Miller and his knowledge, and his sticking his foot in his mouth is quite entertainig to me.

Seems he is alot like me, the older he gets the better he was!

I enjoyed his Feherty Show interview. It made him a little more tolerable.

I like JM because the other PGA players don't due to what he says about them. Personally, it's nice to know someone isn't scared to say something negative about TW, Lefty, Big Easy or Euro players.

I love that Johnny Miller is hated because he speaks his mind just as everyone here does. Are we all hated! The guy irritates, I get that but he knows his stuff and he was a stick back in the day. The guy follows his faith and calls it like he see it. What? he should kiss arse and not color commentate. I like the guy and what he says, he can be a bit much but so can everyone else.
If you dislike JM then you have to not like TW, mike Vick, Kobe....and the you in this quote is a generalization not directed at the poster or anyone in particular, so don't get upset I'm sharing my thoughts on the matter

I love that Johnny Miller is hated because he speaks his mind just as everyone here does. Are we all hated! The guy irritates, I get that but he knows his stuff and he was a stick back in the day. The guy follows his faith and calls it like he see it. What? he should kiss arse and not color commentate. I like the guy and what he says, he can be a bit much but so can everyone else.
If you dislike JM then you have to not like TW, mike Vick, Kobe....and the you in this quote is a generalization not directed at the poster or anyone in particular, so don't get upset I'm sharing my thoughts on the matter

Why?

I haven't noticed it as much, but what gets me with Miller is when he talks about what he did back in the 70s, like it's pertinent now, or still correct. He speaks his mind which I like. I just don't like the vibe he puts off about how good he used to be.

I am the opposite of most, I enjoy Miller and his knowledge, and his sticking his foot in his mouth is quite entertainig to me.

I agree. It is fun to see him make a few mistakes by saying something that turns out to be wrong. Kind of like watching Howard Cosell.

I don't mind the opinions. I love people who speak their minds. I also like people who are funny and can be self deprecating at times. With him it seems like all arrogance from a straight edge guy that in no way would be any fun to hang out with.

I wouldn't want to hang out with Johnny Miller because I don't think he'd be fun, so in the same way I don't want to listen to him for all that long.

Yeah, he can be pretty full of himself at times, but there is no doubt that he knows his stuff and was a hell of an iron player in his day.

I like JM, he could bend a ball like nobodys business, and when he criticizes someone for an errant shot, he's usually right on the money. He comes up with some doozies though lol..

Don't lump a few into being the many. This is a great place with awesome people and many that love good discussion.

As for me, there are definitely moment that he irritates the piss out of me, but most of the time I like his commentary. I'm one of those in-betweeners on him.

I'm with you. I don't mind Johnny. Least he doesn't sugar coat everything. Too many tv commentators too worried about making someone mad. Not Johnny. Calls it like he see's it. I like that.

Why?

I haven't noticed it as much, but what gets me with Miller is when he talks about what he did back in the 70s, like it's pertinent now, or still correct. He speaks his mind which I like. I just don't like the vibe he puts off about how good he used to be.

People can like who they want by IMO it's a little silly to dislike someone how's only fault is being full of himself and then rein around and root for serial adulter, animal killer and rapist. It's a but extreme, I know but those are the first to pop into my head. Like I said like whom ever you want or dislike, I just think there needs to be so consistency in this area. But I suppose if there were consistent lines of thinking some of these guys would have no fans.

Earlier in the year, Johnny Miller said that the "young guns" weren't as dedicated to winning because they make so much money off of endorsments that they don't push as hard. I railed against Miller because there are plenty of young golfers who have had marvelous careers up to this point.

And he isn't as good as he remembers himself being.
Miller is not my favorite, but this statement is dead on imo. I think the prize money these guys win make them not as hungry to win.These guys can win a million and finish outside the top 100 on the money list. Endorsements aside, these guys make a ton making cuts and scoring a few top tens and a top five here and there.

This post is entirely off topic, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

People can like who they want by IMO it's a little silly to dislike someone how's only fault is being full of himself and then rein around and root for serial adulter, animal killer and rapist. It's a but extreme, I know but those are the first to pop into my head. Like I said like whom ever you want or dislike, I just think there needs to be so consistency in this area. But I suppose if there were consistent lines of thinking some of these guys would have no fans.

Boom. Consistency is key. People love Tiger, and he's been shown to b a terrible guy in the past and may well still be a terrible guy.

Johnny Miller has always been a pretty good guy, Ture to his faith and a great family man from all accounts, albeit full of himself. He was also so unbelievable with his irons during a five or six year stretch it was, well, unbelievable. The guy dominated even though he couldn't putt worth a damn.

I like him a lot. My favorite broadcasts include him and Dorothy Pepper. Dorothy also doesn't pull any punches. She was a good player, too, but succumbed to the dreaded hammertoe.

Kevin

I'm not a fan either but my hatred has faded as I've learned to look past his arrogance to the meat of his comments.

I wish ESPN would do more golf as I love Tirico, Strange, and Zinger. The latter 2 can be brash (without being arrogant) while being funny.

Back