Impulse buy...feeling guilty

cmoors

Resident Swinger
Reaction score
Handicap
So I played 18 today and stopped by the golf store on the way home to reload on balls.

Met a pretty cool salesman (Mike at Peutz Golf Seattle) and we started talking irons. I told him about some of the clubs I hit at the 2010 outing, and we started hitting.

Long story short...I was trying some Mizuno's (800 and pro) and the Shaft Optimizer says I should play GS95 stiff or NS Pro 950's...of which the GS95's come stock in the MX 1000. I say, "let me hit it for kicks".

I hit like 20 balls, all 178yard carry6 irons...all high baby draws. He tells me the set is $1100, and says, "now you know why".

I read here that somebody got them for $500...I find it online and call to pricematch. He says, "I can do it, but I can't really make money on it. I hate to say it, but you should but it from them".

I BOUGHT THEM. I can't believe I just impulse bought a set of irons. I feel like I just betrayed my set (2007 Cobra FPs)...but it was $499 with free shipping!

Feeling mixed...I hope I can return them if I made a mistake.

I've been resisting best I can to not buy irons....and I NEED irons...BAD. I hope they work out for you...I'm sure your 2007 FPs won't be sad... ;-)

I have a basement full of impulse buys! I hope they work for you...will standard lie and length work for you? I think the MX1000s are cast, but I bet they can be bent. I have hit em before and they are fantastic sticks. Enjoy!

Well that is a big impulse buy, but if you hit them that well and you got that good of a price, then I think you did well.

I call all my golf-related impulse buys as an affliction of Golf Goggles. That desire to find the next club(s), ball, putter, hat, trinket, voodoo spell to get lower scores and that fleeting feeling that a perfectly struck shot gives you. I'm pretty sure if Clapton had picked up this game that famous song would not have been named "Cocaine."

I'm pretty sure if Clapton had picked up this game that famous song would not have been named "Cocaine."

Now, that's funny! She don't lie, she don't lie she don't lie, golf clubs (insert guitar riff here)

I always wonder at people that stroll into the golf store and actually BUY something major.

I'm more of the, "buy alignment sticks, buy a replacement towel" guy...and even though I technically didn't buy the irons from the store I still bought irons.

I'll post eventually and let you know if it was a mistake or not. I think I'm close to standard length/lie, and I told Mike at Peutz I'd bring in the irons to get bend (if they needed it).

The irons are cast, and I think they can go 2degrees in either direction (set is 4-GW)...so we'll see.

Thanks guys, they should arrive late next week and I'll post here after to let you know how it goes.

Dude, those mixed feelings will go away quickly once you hit the course and see those shots for real. Congrats on that amazing deal!

Good buy cmoors, it is good that Mike is a good guy and alright with doing the time with you and you purchasing the irons elsewhere. I do hope the irons are legit and everything you want them to be. $600 savings on a new set of irons seems extremely excessive to me. Keep us posted on the new sticks and how you like them, I am a mizzy fan myself as my last 2 sets have been Mizunos.

I also agree that it is easy to have remorse immediately after purchase when you have yet to take possession. If you hit them well on the course (which I hope you do), all remorse will be gone.

Like DD kinda inferred to, that is a great deal and I am assuming you are 100% they are legit which makes them a great purchase!

lol wish i could just buy new irons.. great buy though,... i love my mizunos

No need for remorse buddy. Sounds like you hit them well when you demo'd them and it also sounds like you got them at a steal so no need for remorse dude. Congrats on the new sticks man.

\ $600 savings on a new set of irons seems extremely excessive to me.

The MX-1000s are last years line. They have been discounted heavily at a lot of places. They were replaced by the JPX-800 line. Very solid set of irons, but you will see them with that kind of price reduction at places.

We have monthly impulse buyers meetings in middle Georgia. The meetings usually start out with the serenity pray with a personal introduction by all members and a small story on how they reached the impulse buying fever. Whenever one of us goes into a golf store or outlet we contact a member and they sometimes but not always, can talk us out of the impulse purchase. Good lucky buddy and just know there are others out there with the same cravings that you have. keep your head high!

The MX-1000s are last years line. They have been discounted heavily at a lot of places. They were replaced by the JPX-800 line. Very solid set of irons, but you will see them with that kind of price reduction at places.

Thank you JB, I feel better for cmoors and believe that the buyers remorse will go away as soon as he sees the new irons.

We have monthly impulse buyers meetings in middle Georgia. The meetings usually start out with the serenity pray with a personal introduction by all members and a small story on how they reached the impulse buying fever. Whenever one of us goes into a golf store or outlet we contact a member and they sometimes but not always, can talk us out of the impulse purchase. Good luck buddy and just know there are others out there with the same cravings that you have. keep your head high!

I know I hate it when you call me and I meet you at the store and we both end up making purchases. LOL

I have a basement full of impulse buys! I hope they work for you...will standard lie and length work for you? I think the MX1000s are cast, but I bet they can be bent. I have hit em before and they are fantastic sticks. Enjoy!

Rofl...i am starting a collecion myself. I have been really bad lately with impulse buys but to offset. I am slowly selling off the extras once I am sure the new stuff will stay in the bag. Uhm cmoors your set from 2007...yeah time for upgrade lol.

Wow, talking to you at the outing you didn't seem to be the impulse type but hey no judging. I'm glad you found some new sticks and I hope they work out for you. I think DD is right that once you smoke a couple with these the remorse will go away.

That's not impulse buying that's capitalizing on a great deal. Justify it to yourself that way. Bye bye guilt

That's not impulse buying that's capitalizing on a great deal. Justify it to yourself that way. Bye bye guilt

i agree with this hehe, any great deal is capitalizing not impulse

The mizzies of which you speak are a great set of sticks. I am bagging an old set of 200's and have "almost" pulled the trigger a couple of times. The 1000's were one of those times. Almost wore out a demo six iron last year, I loved it. Then, just before buying, I got an email about the JPX 800's. Waited to hit those, then "almost" bought a set of those but waited to see if I would win a set here. When that didn't happen, I once again started shopping prices on the 800 pros, then was selected for testing the Nike VR combos. Since I am a club W***e, I will prolly eventually get me some 800's. I really do believe you will be happy with your "impulse" buy.

No way you should be remorseful man!! Brand new sticks!! Enjoy it.

Sometimes you just need to get something that works for you, and they CLEARLY work for you. Go and enjoy them!

Crazy stuff glad to hear you enjoyed hitting the irons sounds like a steal of a deal

That doesn't sound like an impulse buy to me, you haven't bought irons in a long time, and you found some that you loved. Lets us know how much you like them.

Back