Tangle Ridge Golf Course review, Grand Prairie, TX

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
I was able to get out and play this course yesterday with Nate and TexasHacker34.

The conditions were typical for Texas in December with dormant fairways that were giving some roll but greens that were receptive and a bit quick. The course and greens both have a good amount of undulation and slope that makes it a good test of your skill but yet good shots are really rewarded and a great score can be posted with quality shots.

Course website: http://www.tangleridge.com

The courses description of itself:

Tangle Ridge Golf Course in Grand Prairie, TX, will challenge your senses and skills. This 18-hole championship public golf course features exciting elevation changes, subtle Champions Bermuda Greens, tree-lined fairways, and water and sand hazards.

Tangle Ridge caters to every level of player with each hole varying in length, bunkering and style - offering a new direction, a new choice, a new experience every time you play.

Tees
Yardage
Par
Rating
Slope
image010.jpg
GOLD
6835​
72​
73.4​
133​
BLUE
6337​
72​
70.8​
128​
WHITE (Men)​
5969​
72​
69.0​
125​
WHITE (Women)​
5969​
72​
74.8​
138​
RED (Men)
5187​
72​
66.3​
108​
RED (Women)
5187​
72​
70.6​
125​
Accolades the course has received:

44[SUP]th[/SUP] Best Municipal in America – Golfweek, May 2009
#16 in State of Texas – Dallas Morning News, 2007
Best of Texas – Texas Golfer, 2005
Top 10 – Avid Golfer, 2005
Best Golf Course – Today Newspapers Readers, 2006

Entrance
DSC_0855.jpg

Club House 1
DSC_0856.jpg

Club House 2
DSC_0857.jpg

Putting Green
DSC_0858.jpg

Practice Bunker
DSC_0860.jpg

Driving Range
DSC_0861.jpg

Hole 1 is a slight dogleg left par 4 with a generous fairway with only a few fairway and grass bunkers to defend itself.
DSC_0865.jpg

A quality tee shot can leave you anywhere from 100-150 into a green protected by a bunker.
DSC_0866.jpg

Hole 2 is a short par 4 dogleg right to an elevated green. Longer hitters will likely take a fairway wood off the tee.
DSC_0867.jpg

A well placed tee shot can leave you 100 yards or less into the elevated green that is only protected by grass bunkers. Green has some good slope to finding the right tier is key if you want a chance at birdie.
DSC_0868.jpg

Hole 3 is a short and straight par 4. Long ball hitters can go right at the green or a FW wood or hybrid can be used to leave you less than 100 yards in.
DSC_0869.jpg

Keep it in play and a birdie opportunity awaits you.
DSC_0870.jpg

Hole 4 is a very short par 3 likely playing less than 110 yards. Fire away but get it on the right level.
DSC_0871.jpg

View from behind the green. My ball is to the left - on the wrong level.
DSC_0872.jpg

Hole 5 is a dogleg right par 5. Pretty tight but a long knocker can turn it into a 2 shot hole.
DSC_0873.jpg

After hitting 2nd shots over a creek, our 3rd shots were looking at this all within 100 yards.
DSC_0874.jpg

View looking back at the hole from the green.
DSC_0875.jpg

Hole 6 is a short downhill par 4. Spray driver and your in the bunker or trees. Bomb driver and you may just find the green.
DSC_0876.jpg

Nate & Taylor on the number 7 tee box.
DSC_0878.jpg

Hole 7 is an average length par 4 which trees down the left and bunker down the right.
DSC_0879.jpg

Find the fairway and you will have less than 150 into the green.
DSC_0880.jpg

Hole 8 is a beast of a par 5, especially into the wind. Off the tee you are laying up to a creek about 280 yards away from the elevated tee box.
DSC_0881.jpg

Zoomed in shot from the tee.
DSC_0882.jpg

Well struck drive still leaves you 250 yards out with a creek to clear and another to lay up to.
DSC_0884.jpg

Good layup will leave you 125 or less to a slightly elevated green. Miss short and your in the junk.
DSC_0885.jpg

Hole 9 is a par 3 playing around 140 to the middle protected by several bunkers.
DSC_0887.jpg

Side view of the number 9 green. 4 well struck shots and we were all putting on the 3 tiered green.
DSC_0888.jpg

Hole 10 is a straight par 4 with bunkers left and trees right.
DSC_0889.jpg

A well hit tee shot will leave you with less than 150 into a green protected by sand and grass bunkers.
DSC_0890.jpg

Hole 11 is a dogleg right par 4 where bunkers are left and trees are right. FW wood is the smart play off the tee.
DSC_0891.jpg

Find the fairway and you are rewarded with a wedge in hand and a birdie opportunity.
DSC_0892.jpg

Hole 12 is a par 3 playing around 140 to a green with a good amount of slope from back to front. Bunkers left, right, and long protect this large green.
DSC_0893.jpg

Last edited:
Hole 13 is a dogleg left par 5 where a well struck drive can leave a FW wood in hand to go at the green.
DSC_0894.jpg

The view from about 170 out.
DSC_0895.jpg

The view from 125 out. Bunkers guard the green and must be flown to attack this flag with a large green with a good bit of undulation.
DSC_0897.jpg

Hole 14 is a dogleg right par 4. FW wood or hybrid is the play off the tee to get within 150. Par is a good score on this hole but an aggressive look at the flag can leave you a birdie putt.
DSC_0898.jpg

View looking back from the 14th green.
DSC_0899.jpg

Hole 15 is a straight par 4 with trees left, bunker and OB right. Good tee shot will get you within 175 to a green surrounded by mounds and bunkers.
DSC_0900.jpg

Hole 16 is a slight dogleg left par 4. Driver can be hit but trees down the right side in addition to a pond will quickly grab the stray ones.
DSC_0901.jpg

Hit a nice drive and leave yourself around 125 into an unprotected green.
DSC_0903.jpg

Hole 17 is a scenic par 3 that was playing 172. Miss short or left and you are in trouble. Decent bail out area to the right.
DSC_0904.jpg

Near ace from Nate’s friend Cory on this hole.
DSC_0905.jpg

The finishing hole is a nice par 5 with split fairway off of the tee. The tee box you are hitting from tends to dictate which route you take.
DSC_0906.jpg

18th tee zoomed in.
DSC_0907.jpg

The longer hitters can definitely reach this in 2, average hitters can get within 50 yards pretty easily. Here is the view from about 125 out with the clubhouse in the background.
DSC_0908.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff here. This looks like a lot of fun. I have played with 2 of the 3 guys in this group and it was a blast.

Nice look at this course cookie. Always wanted to give this course a play. Now I am looking forward togetting out there soon.

Nice looking course Cookie, plenty of trouble without being crazy difficult. Looks like fun!

Awesome course! I loved the elevation changes and the risk-reward.

Even though Nate whipped my butt

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Good stuff here. This looks like a lot of fun. I have played with 2 of the 3 guys in this group and it was a blast.
Yea, why am I the odd man out here?! I know...in due time! We had a lot of fun and Taylor is a blast to be around. That youth is contagious to be around! Ha! We all have fun playing golf together that is for sure.

It is a great course and was in great shape when we played. It was a more wide open course than other courses in the area but you could get into trouble quickly if you didn't know where to hit. The greens were fast but fair. The bunkers were nice and soft. It was a course you walked off saying, "That was a fun course to play".

Good stuff Cookie!

That looks awesome, nice review Cookie!

Nice photos and hole by hole descriptions! Looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the write-up. It looks like a course I would really enjoy. Just need to get my ole carcass to Texas again, haven't been there since my daughter moved back to Georgia.

Hell of a review bro.

Too bad a dog peed all over the whole course.

Spoiler
Yes I know it's dormant bermuda

Holy Cow - elevation changes in North Texas!

Thanks for the review and pictures - I'll need to give this course a try.

Looks like a pretty fun course.....Nice Job Cookie!

Solid review Cookie, I love the different look taking a picture from green to tee gives a hole. I will take dormant fairways over snow covered fairways any day of the week.

Great review, Cookie! Looks like you guys had a blast out there, and looks like a fun track to knock the ball around on!

This course looks like a blast. It does look like it blends risk/reward quite well.

This course looks like a blast. It does look like it blends risk/reward quite well.

It definitely does. Can play it safe and leave yourself 100 yards out on par 4's or attempt to bomb driver and hit some greens. It is definitely a fair course that is fun and not overly penal if you don't play it exactly right.

I really do consider it a nice track that has some undulation and unique holes.

Man that's a great write up! I like the course, it looks like the ball will roll forever and should be taken into consideration when playing there. Great job Cookie.

Nice shot Cory!

Man that's a great write up! I like the course, it looks like the ball will roll forever and should be taken into consideration when playing there. Great job Cookie.

Nice shot Cory!

Thanks Trout! The course was dry so the fairways were rolling decently but it was not as firm/hard as some other courses in the area. Greens were receptive though which was great because on many courses around here they stop holding approaches when it gets firm/dry but that was not the case here.

Great write-up Cookie, this looks like a fun course to play, can't wait!

NIce bump. It helps us get somewhat of a fell for the course. Great write-up Cookie.

Great write up man, going to try and memorize these pics in the next 2 months so I have some idea of where to hit the ball lol.

Man I'm excited, this looks like a really fun course

Back