TaylorMade Lethal Golf Ball Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
To check out what THP members had to say about this new ball, click below and see the reviews by the members that got to test it out before it hit stores.

TaylorMade Lethal Ball Reviews

Having amassed global success with its PENTA franchise, TaylorMade Golf Company today announced its next generation of golf ball, set to be played by hundreds of professional golfers. Introducing LETHAL™, a premium, five-piece multi-layer golf ball aptly and memorably named for its remarkable tee-to-green performance.
Lethal%20Ball%20Package%20Family-M.jpg

“Our engineers set out to create a golf ball with all-around performance for all conditions,” said Dean Snell, vice president of golf ball R&D. “Today’s clubs are designed to launch the ball higher, so our team worked to ensure that these higher launch conditions do not cause the shot to balloon or become more affected by the wind. We designed LETHAL to further maximize distance, extend the second stage of flight, and control spin and aerodynamics when playing into the wind.”

After creating Penta, the first 5-layer Tour ball, TaylorMade engineers worked tirelessly to refine the construction and improve a golf ball already known for its superior wind performance and spin control. Its advanced 322-dimple design helps set LETHAL apart from previous TaylorMade Tour balls. The new design offers improved performance in all wind conditions promoting longer and straighter shots with better control.

Optimal spin control for every shot (5 layers), incredible distance regardless of clubhead speed (progressive velocity), and the most penetrating flight of any TaylorMade ball (seamless LDP 322-dimple pattern) make LETHAL the ultimate Tour performance golf ball.
Lethal%20Ball%20Stamp-M.jpg

TaylorMade Tour Staff Professional Justin Rose realized these benefits earlier this year at the Deutsche Bank Championship, when he insisted on playing LETHAL under the prototype name “Project 5” after just one day of testing. Rose played the ball for three FedEx Cup Playoff events, finishing second at The TOUR Championship, helped the European team win the Ryder Cup, and most recently, won with the ball at the Turkish Airlines World Golf Final.

Similar to the PENTA ball that it replaces, LETHAL features five separate layers that provide a “layer for every shot,” optimizing spin and launch through the bag (see five layers below). It also employs “Progressive Velocity,” meaning the fastest layers of the ball are on the outside, which provides outstanding velocity regardless of swing speed. As a result, LETHAL can be played by Tour professionals and amateur golfers of all skill levels.

LETHAL will be available at retail on 2/1 at $45.99 per dozen.

Low Drag Performance Aerodynamics
Aerodynamics are one of the most important performance features of a golf balls Once the construction and spin rates are developed, the aerodynamics are designed to fit that specific ball. The correct aerodynamic pattern can significantly increase distance. TaylorMade’s Low Drag Performance (LDP) dimple pattern is designed to minimize distance loss on low spin shots.

LDP Technology benefits both the player and fitting pro. It decreases overall drag, which helps maintain velocity throughout the entire ball flight. Towards the end of flight a higher ball velocity will maintain lift and provide longer distance.

5 Layers
TaylorMade doesn’t believe that one should choose a golf ball for a particular shot or be fit. Lethal is optimized for all shots tee-to-green by using 5 layers:

• Soft core – produces low driver spin that increases distance off the tee.
• Inner mantle – reduces long-iron spin for a penetrating low trajectory that will not balloon and carries far.
• Middle mantle – works with outer layers to combine controllable spin with softer feel off the mid irons.
• Outer mantle – works with the cover to generate low-launch, high spin conditions off the short irons and wedges.
• Thin, cast Sta-White Urethane cover – with excellent durability, reacts with the firm outer mantle layer to create shot-stopping spin needed to get up and down and lower scores.

Progressive Velocity
Progressive Velocity Technology provides outstanding velocity for any given swing speed. The fastest layers of the golf ball are near the outside of the ball. This allows even slower swingers to compress the outer layers to generate fast ball speed.

I've been intrigued by the testing thread and can't wait to try them for myself.

Probably a really great ball, with a really goofy name.

Its going to be unfortunate the first time somebody gets icejacked and takes a "TaylorMade Lethal" off of the ole coconut.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I loved the Penta TP5, I just don't like the new name on this one.

Interesting to see the TM write up in comparison with our testing.

I would still like to prove out the wind performance, but we haven't had more than 5 mph in quite some time. Looks like that could change this weekend.

This is where it is fun to watch the new and upcoming product that members here at THP have already put through the ringer. With the usual marketing twists that varies from the information we've read along with. Will be getting a sleeve to see what the hype was about.

I know Taylormade's marketing company is tops in the industry, but I just don't understand how with names like Rocketballz and Lethal. The packaging on these is just so cheap looking. I guess that's why I didn't pursue a career in marketing.

Nonetheless the review's have been pretty good. I am a big fan of the Original Penta and TP5 ball, so I imagine I will like this ball as well. If it works I will play it.

I want to try these. I actually didn't play a TP5 once this year, but I like the original Penta.

I really liked the TPs before. Might have to give these a go. There have been some good thoughts in the review thread as well.

With the release of a few other clubs today, Taylormade has been busy. I'm looking forward to seeing everything pop up in store!!!!!

FULL DISCLOSURE - I loved the Penta TP5, I just don't like the new name on this one.

I don't dislike the name as much as I am confused at TM's ball brand. No consistency year-over-year.

I played a lot with the Penta ball, so I do most likely love the performance on this one too, but man...TM seems to be quite deep some where in the name digging graveyard. :D

I liked the TP5 and the original Penta, so I'm sure I'll like this. I'll definitely give it a try.

It sounds like Justin has seen immediate success with this in his bag. It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up.

Seems like a penta with a goofy name

So wait, this is the best ball for all swing speeds? Titleist were right! :alien:

Sounds like a great performing ball with a terrible name. The name screams "distance ball" to me.....but that would not keep me from playing it if it was the best for my game.

It sounds like Justin has seen immediate success with this in his bag. It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up.

I anticipate the tour pros doing ridiculous things with this ball. It performs incredibly well if you are striking the ball well.

I play the penta 5 and still have a few sleeves of the original penta, so I think I will be trying the Lethal.

"What ball are you playing?"

Im playing the Lethal lol

Hate the name, cant speak for the performance yet. I did love the original penta's and didnt give the 2012's a fair shake at all.

"What ball are you playing?"

Im playing the Lethal lol

Hate the name, cant speak for the performance yet. I did love the original penta's and didnt give the 2012's a fair shake at all.

The name is a little bit on the ridiculous side. I would feel like such a tool if I went out and played like :poop: while using this ball.

Based in the reviews I won't be trying this one. I wouldn't mind hitting their other new offerings.

Sounds like a solid ball. I sort of like the name Lethal too. I had missed this review. Will check it out now. I had seen the review thread but hadn't been in there yet.

I can't wait to try these out, I think Taylormade makes some great golf balls. These are at the top of the list of balls to try this year.

Back