The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I have a question for everyone, old and new. What has been different about this event prep vs other events you may have played in.

Its unlike anything I have ever done. This is my first time playing any sort of competitive golf so its all new to me. I dont really have any experience to draw on so I am relying on people that do have that experience for advice. As other people have said, practice with a purpose. Going to the range with a certain club in mind and working on that. I stopped bringing my bag with me. I just bring what I want to use. Going to the course specifically to do short game work. Just spending 2 hours chipping and putting. Getting myself in the best shape I can so that I can be ready physically and mentally in July. It is very time consuming and my wife has been absolutely awesome but having a 2 year old is also tough. I feel bad spending so much time away from her but I know there is a means to an end. Come July, there is absolutely no question in my mind, I will be the best golfer I have ever been and it wont even be close.

I have a question for everyone, old and new. What has been different about this event prep vs other events you may have played in.

I've never played in anything like this before so there really isn't anything I can say there in comparisons to others.

What I can say is that the Morgan Cup has caused me to finally truly prep rather than to just play a lot of golf. I'm getting lessons instead of relying on what I naturally have as far as coordination and athleticism. I'm thinking my way around the course now and realizing how to play to eliminate certain things. I'm trusting int he work that I'm foing enough to actually TRY and score rather than just playing to not eff up all the time. Most of all though, I'm just seeing what I can honestly get up to in this crazy game of golf.

I'm working hard not just for me, but for people that I truly care about, which is completely different to me.

Its unlike anything I have ever done. This is my first time playing any sort of competitive golf so its all new to me. I dont really have any experience to draw on so I am relying on people that do have that experience for advice. As other people have said, practice with a purpose. Going to the range with a certain club in mind and working on that. I stopped bringing my bag with me. I just bring what I want to use. Going to the course specifically to do short game work. Just spending 2 hours chipping and putting. Getting myself in the best shape I can so that I can be ready physically and mentally in July. It is very time consuming and my wife has been absolutely awesome but having a 2 year old is also tough. I feel bad spending so much time away from her but I know there is a means to an end. Come July, there is absolutely no question in my mind, I will be the best golfer I have ever been and it wont even be close.

Dev, some of the specifics are different, but it's like we're on the exact same journey. I can't wait to see what our games look like in July, because I'm guessing they will be a far cry better than they are right now after the work we're putting in.

I've never played in any tournament or multiple day events even remotely like this. A couple scrambles, but they were far from stressful .

This has consumed me, from constant thought to prevented sleep. My truck has the practice range on auto pilot. Review tips across the board and Freddies input to others. Every shot has purpose at the range. Short game has improved and ball striking is getting better. All because I have one goal, to be at my peak in July. Not only for me, but my Team and everyone there and home checking in.

I started my lessons today thanks to help from a good friend. Some big changes that I'm not quite sure about, but worked on them already tonight at the range. Taking the advice and working it into what I feel comfortable with. No overhaul for me at the moment, just going to work with what I have

Sacrificed some time with my Son and that's the hardest. He really wants me to do well and is excited for me, which eases my mind a little. Even though its only a few hours during the evening while at the range, he is my pride and joy and cherish all the time with him.

This.... has changed me. I want to bring the best of me come July.

It's not even close for me. Everything I do now is for a purpose. In the past I wanted to get better, but I wasn't willing to take the lessons, correct my swing, practice more than play most times. Now I practice more than I play, I take lessons, and everything I do now has a purpose. This event has given me a motivation like no other. Not only is it pushing me to be the best I can for myself, but I have a HUGE responsibility to Josh & Morgan, Bridgestone, my teammates on Team Albatross, this community and for the thousands and thousands of people that will be taking in the event via the coverage, to put the best possible golf out there that I am capable of. This event has given me the drive and motivation to bring my game to the next level.

The length of time that goes into the prep. It truly is like my "major". Everything in my life golf related revolves around the MC.

The answers so far to this question have been great to read. Different approaches, different frames of mind. While reading through them many have said things like "practice with a purpose". Before your selection to the Morgan Cup, what was the purpose of practicing? I've followed along with many of you through the practice thread, many of you are seeing lower scoring too! What are you plans to break through the frustration and the plateaus as you continue to work hard along your journey to THE ULTIMATE GOLF EVENT PERIOD?

The answers so far to this question have been great to read. Different approaches, different frames of mind. While reading through them many have said things like "practice with a purpose". Before your selection to the Morgan Cup, what was the purpose of practicing? I've followed along with many of you through the practice thread, many of you are seeing lower scoring too! What are you plans to break through the frustration and the plateaus as you continue to work hard along your journey to THE ULTIMATE GOLF EVENT PERIOD?

My practice before was either playing after work or just beating balls at the range while really having no focus on what I'm working on and how I go about it. That has changed with specific drills and moves I'm trying to implement.

I have always practiced to maintain my swing. I believe in always being ready to play. The difference this is is the addition of a new coach and the elimination of a swing flaw I had incorporated into the game.

I have already seen great results and will just keep working until it because an every round occurrence. I am actually ahead of where I though I'd be this year. This excites me as I see nothing but upward movement

I'll answer yours and Freddie's question in one reply: I'm playing to make myself and my team better. I've outlined my prep before and it was the same as it was last year. Practice rounds, range time to work on things that didn't go right in practice rounds, practice rounds, range time to work on things that didn't go right in practice round, repeat. I've thrown in a few lessons with my club pro concerning some shots I would like to hit this year. It worked last year as I came in playing some of my best golf of the year. I fully expect it to work again. It's all about dedication to develop confidence. I've sprinkled in a few tournaments along the way and a THP event which will help me gauge where I'm at come summer.

It's hard Kevin. Some days motivation is easy to come by. Other days I just would rather go watch TV. Not sure I have an answer as to how I combat it. Comes down to making the right choices when they are presented to me and I've really tried to avoid the easy way out.

First time playing 36 holes in a day next weekend (not this coming weekend). Havent figured out if I am going to play the same course twice or play 2 different courses. Trying to simulate the MC as best as possible. It's something I need to experience and plan on doing it a few more times before July.

My mentality historically was just to beat balls on the range and hope I then hit it well on the course. Now im taking lessons, Im learning more about my swing, my misses and what needs to be done to correct those and have a more consistent swing. The plan that has been in place has called for more lessons and practice than every before. Frustrating at times, but the fire inside of me to win this event keeps me going as I do not want to let my team down.

It's hard Kevin. Some days motivation is easy to come by. Other days I just would rather go watch TV. Not sure I have an answer as to how I combat it. Comes down to making the right choices when they are presented to me and I've really tried to avoid the easy way out.
Buddy I'd say you've been killing it this far! The things I've read from you the past months have been inspiration for your team and the other teams. As the Captain of Team THP, and what I know about you, I know there is more going on than meets the eye.

First time playing 36 holes in a day next weekend (not this coming weekend). Havent figured out if I am going to play the same course twice or play 2 different courses. Trying to simulate the MC as best as possible. It's something I need to experience and plan on doing it a few more times before July.

Personally, I think this is a really smart move Rick.

I have done it before, but not recently--or in the heat! Going to do the same here several times. Plenty of heat coming here to provide the opportunity!

Good move dev!

You all are im pressing the heck out of me! Keep up the great work and those that have never played 36 in the heat, you need to get out a couple times before the MC and see how you're stacking up to the challenge.

As you know Lyman has two courses! :)

Haha I will get a rematch on that damn Player course.

Loved those courses, at least the holes we could play that were not under water

Figure im a few weeks away from some 36 hole action

Sorry I missed this yesterday Kevin. I think the best way to break through the frustrations and get over those plateaus, at least for me, is to have a plan of practice and continue to execute it. I know that if I have a bad range session or a bad round, that I will be working on something completely different or playing golf the next day, so it doesn't allow me to dwell on the session for very long. That I think allows me to work through those frustrations of a poor ball striking round or a day at the range where something wasn't clicking. That has been the big thing for me this year that has really helped me improve.

Really I've always practiced with a purpose because I had to lol, it's just what I'm used to, as far as plateaus and frustration are concerned I think it's just about continuing forward, we'll all have struggles and difficulties but just staying positive is the only answer for me.

Before the MC I didn't really practice that much at all...I played round after round after round, and I was somewhat content with casually playing the game with good friends. When I did go to the range, I just went through my bag with the same kind of casual mindset. I didn't think to get lessons. I figured my swing was my swing and I'd play with what I brought to the table...boy am I glad that I took that step into lessons.

Brad's comment on the frequency of practice helping to keep him focused and positive rings very true for me. With more practice, I find that my mind just has to move on from a previously poor round or range session.

Back