I use mine, or at least carry one because i cant hit hybrids and i very rarely need more than a 5 iron on my home course apart from driver or 3 wood. Also i can hit it and my 3 iron really well since i got my current irons as they are actually properly fitted!

Yes. In fact, I'm one of the few players I know who still carries a 2 iron. I've never had an issue hitting the long irons, probably because my first set included a flipping 1 iron that I used to love to mash out into the field behind my house.

Use mine from time to time. Having a hard time to hit well with it. Pondering changing it to a Mashie.

Yeah. I like my 4i. I only have internal conflict over the 3i.

I use the 4 on a few par 3s when played off the backs. Although even typing that makes me wonder what results I'd see with a more lofted hybrid. Darnit Kevin, you've made me ponder.

I dont have a 4 iron. I dont have a 4 hybrid either.
I go from 3 hybrid to 5 iron.

No for me. Long irons are now hybrids.

I dont have a 4 iron. I dont have a 4 hybrid either.
I go from 3 hybrid to 5 iron.

Interesting. What kind of a gap do you see there (if any)? In my case, the 5i max is 180 and I have hit the 3h anywhere from 200 to 225. I would have to go pretty easy on the 3h to hit that 190 shot.

I hit my 5 iron 185 or so. Can muscle it if I need to go after it.
Hit my 3 hybrid 205-210.

But I have learned that like any clubs in my bag, you dont have to have a full swing on them to succeed. By using this setup, I have been able to carry an extra wedge for specialty shots or trouble shots, or even a Niblick. I also see more people struggle with a 3 and 4 iron and heck even 5 iron than I care to put myself through anymore. If I am 195 and need that 4 iron, maybe I should layup or play to go long. If its a par 3, I will take some off my hybrid or go after my 5 iron. It would depend where the trouble is.

My CG16 4 iron is like 21 degrees and my DST 3 hybrid is 20.5 so I just took the 4 iron out as they were so close. My iron set up is 5 - pw, then my niblicks.

Yea. Surprisingly, one of my most used clubs on par 5s

Me too. I really think about getting rid of it, but I use it so much I'm not sure what I'd replace it with.

Day in and day our it's the longest iron in my bag. Love it...o actually start my warm up with it, Ala Tom Watson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd say yay. i find its a very versatile club. punching out under trees. punch shots in high winds and your run of the mill shots

No sir.

Always have and always will use one.

Yes -- I have a 3 hybrid that I also carry which can be treated as a 3 or 4 iron...depending on the lie and shot I have will depend on the club. But I love hitting a solid 4 iron onto a green.

Don't call sir, I work for a living.

One thing about hybrids, and JB sort of mentioned it. I think it's easier to manipulate the distance. They are easier to choke down/hold back on if you have to. A 4i for me needs to be struck pretty soundly.

Kevin

If Y.E. Yang doesnt carry one then I dont either

Absolutely Yes. Go to 220 club and I will tee off with it on at least 1 hole on the 3 main courses I play. I'f I don't bring the 3 iron, it gets even more use usually. I doubt you will ever see me without one at least for another 15-20 years lol.

Yay! I actually love my 4 iron for 220 distance. I dont carry a 5 wood and hit my 3 wood 260 so this is a must have in the bag for me. Of course...I don't own or have even tried any hybrids though.

Big yay for me. I don't know what it is, but I love hitting mine.

Yup, and a 3 iron too

You know, the guys on Golf channel yesterday were saying how hard it is to hit a 3 iron and I was thinking to myself WTH???? I have no problem hitting a 3 iron...I'm a junior and these guys are supposed to be semi - good? To each his own I guess, but WOW.

And the worst part was, Tom Watson was the one who said 3 irons were hard to hit in the first place!

No 4 iron for me. As has been stated, a well struck 4 iron is a sight to behold. Unfortunately, when not struck well, a 4 iron is a disaster. Meanwhile a mis-hit hybrid is still often a reasonable result. I'm not good enough to hit a 4 iron perfectly every time, so I go with the hybrid. I have a 5 iron in my bag, but rarely use it, opting for my M5 instead. The higher flight of the hybrids to long irons makes them great options for me for par 5s and long par 3s too.

It is now 'Nay' after getting new irons and dusting off an old hybrid. My new 5-iron is the same loft as my old 4-iron.

Yup, but I do not carry a 3-iron

Back