Harrison Shotmaker - THP Preview

Awesome Jaggie. Glad to see this thing is working for you. I am definately pondering one of these.

good to hear hawk. looking forward to more reviews when you arent hurt and tired :)

Good thread and I am reading it with interest, I am a player who has the opposite problem, that is getting enough spin with the driver, but I like to stay informed on anything golf related so I can share it with my friends who may be interested in this product.

Good thread and I am reading it with interest, I am a player who has the opposite problem, that is getting enough spin with the driver, but I like to stay informed on anything golf related so I can share it with my friends who may be interested in this product.

Yeah, if you are a player that is down the middle on most drives and who would benefit from more spin off their driver, than this is not for you. But, if you are like me, a little erratic off the tee and could use less spin, than this is a fantastic product!

Yeah, if you are a player that is down the middle on most drives and who would benefit from more spin off their driver, than this is not for you. But, if you are like me, a little erratic off the tee and could use less spin, than this is a fantastic product!

Agree. I view SM helping one save strokes on potentially blowup holes (usually 1-2 per round for me because of a bad drive). Charting my scores from this season (May onwards) increase in FIR for me is approx. 6 strokes improvement a round and can drop me from 18hcp to lower teens. Again, I'm finding even better dispersion with a 3W and slightly longer distance, maybe because it is tee'd up low. From fairway using the 3W is pretty straight - no slices or hooks.

I'm not seeing that at all. In fact, I'm missing more fairways than normal at the moment.

This is really my first time taking a really hard look at the shot maker. Hawk- I am excited to see your launch monitor numbers in respect to side and back spin. While I put some stock in the "field" results like FIR, there are a ton of variables that simply convolute the whole process.

Thanks for taking the time and being so thorough!

I'm not seeing that at all. In fact, I'm missing more fairways than normal at the moment.

hmmm could you have the wrong flex?

This is really my first time taking a really hard look at the shot maker. Hawk- I am excited to see your launch monitor numbers in respect to side and back spin. While I put some stock in the "field" results like FIR, there are a ton of variables that simply convolute the whole process.

Thanks for taking the time and being so thorough!

I think LM results are necessary, but on course results are just as important. Especially at the price tag the Shotmaker carries. I know there are many variables, but seeing results over time should give a good idea of it's worth.

hmmm could you have the wrong flex?

Who knows? There's really no way to find out besides trying them all.

Last edited:
I think LM results are necessary, but on course results are just as important. Especially at the price tag the Shotmaker carries. I know there are many variables, but seeing results over time should give a good idea of it's worth.

How long are you compiling results for?
I guess my concern is that something else (difference in swing, etc) could be accounting for changes. Is there a comparison driver (similar make/model) that is being used as a baseline

I guess my concern is that something else (difference in swing, etc) could be accounting for changes. Is there a comparison driver (similar make/model) that is being used as a baseline

His own driver. He has used with the shot maker and without. What you're saying could be accounted for any type of on course or range testing.

It's the same driver and shaft. I have been testing it for awhile now and will continue to. It's not going to be a clinical trial. Just a normal golfer that has access to a LM, range, and golf course. I don't really know what else I can do besides that.

Also, of course my swing changes from day to day, but it's essentially my normal swing. In the end, if a company says I am going to hit more fairways with their product I can do nothing except report whether or not that is the case. At the moment, it is not the case.

His own driver. He has used with the shot maker and without. What you're saying could be accounted for any type of on course or range testing.

The only reason I asked is if I graph my FIR over the course of this season I can see a 20% difference between time frames, without a swing change. It's just the ebb and flow of golf. I think the value of a LM is that you can see the results of two set ups on the same day with the same swing.

I didn't mean to question Hawk's testing, just saying that I am excited to see LM numbers and a direct comparison.

The only reason I asked is if I graph my FIR over the course of this season I can see a 20% difference between time frames, without a swing change. It's just the ebb and flow of golf. I think the value of a LM is that you can see the results of two set ups on the same day with the same swing.

I didn't mean to question Hawk's testing, just saying that I am excited to see LM numbers and a direct comparison.

I dont mean to question you, but I really doubt your swing doesnt change throughout the course of the round. It happens with everyone. Even to single digit and scratch golfers.

It comes down to this product should be beneficial to golfers ever without a 100% consistant swing. From the testing it doesnt look like it works for everyone.

Honest question. When looking at drivers lets say you pick up two and head to the course.
One of them you play 18 and the other one you play the next 18.
One of them you miss all but 1 fairway.
THe other one you hit all but 1 fairway.

Do you then say "its the ebb and flow of golf"? Or do you believe that you liked the second driver more?

I dont mean to question you, but I really doubt your swing doesnt change throughout the course of the round. It happens with everyone. Even to single digit and scratch golfers.

It comes down to this product should be beneficial to golfers ever without a 100% consistant swing. From the testing it doesnt look like it works for everyone.

Well put. All I know is it may not work for everyone but it sure does work for me, whether its all performance or just mental, my FIR's have increased as has my accuracy. I really think its like anything else, great for some, not for others, nothing wrong with that at all, thats honesty.

Hawk: thanks for the feedback on how it is working (or not) thus far. I also agree that my swing is rarely repeated so I would expect this to generally help find more fairways (within reason).

Honest question. When looking at drivers lets say you pick up two and head to the course.
One of them you play 18 and the other one you play the next 18.
One of them you miss all but 1 fairway.
THe other one you hit all but 1 fairway.

Do you then say "its the ebb and flow of golf"? Or do you believe that you liked the second driver more?

You certainly like the second driver more... but the extreme nature of the example makes that obvious. A better example of what I am taking about is the same two drivers:

Driver 1: FIR 55% over 3 weeks
Driver 2: FIR 65% over 3 weeks

Without changing my driver I can see 10% change over a 6 week period- so how do I know it is the different drivers and not me?

Of course it does- it changes swing to swing! That isn't my point.

For clarification:
1. I am not criticizing Hawks testing or methods. I have forum tested before, and I understand the limitations to what/how you can test
2. I am not doubting the numbers that he is getting. You can color me a complete skeptic regarding this product- I am very surprised with its claims

My bad I thought you were...

Of course it does- it changes swing to swing! That isn't my point.

For clarification:
1. I am not criticizing Hawks testing or methods. I have forum tested before, and I understand the limitations to what/how you can test
2. I am not doubting the numbers that he is getting. You can color me a complete skeptic regarding this product- I am very surprised with its claims

You certainly like the second driver more... but the extreme nature of the example makes that obvious. A better example of what I am taking about is the same two drivers:

Driver 1: FIR 55% over 3 weeks
Driver 2: FIR 65% over 3 weeks

Without changing my driver I can see 10% change over a 6 week period- so how do I know it is the different drivers and not me?

You dont. But that is with any equipment in the world. Anytime we pick up equipment you should only be changing because it makes you a better golfer. The Shotmaker to me did very little to nothing both on the course and launch monitor for me over several weeks. Will it work for some people? Im sure it will. But like anything, it wont work for everybody. For me (and only me), the way it is advertised came off as snake oil based on my results. Something that will cure the slice or hook by just putting it in the shaft.

Now that is not their intent, but they market something as "an accuracy booster" and then I dont see any accuracy boosting, I question it.

My bad I thought you were...

Sorry Yoccos for that confusion. I have a bit of a scientific mind (and it is not helped by the fact that I have been reading medication studies all morning). I was just curious if there was a comparison group or not, and didn't mean for it to completely hijack the thread. I'll let it die now.

Back