The Possibility of Another Morgan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys did great on your videos. I was laughing thinking about if OG had participated and had to do one.

And please don't think I'm taking a shot at you guys. Hell if it were me I probably would have just stood there and been like when I hit the ball it goes in the air. I don't know how you could do it any other way other than what I suggested and show you hitting balls with it and you regular club side by side and seeing launch monitor numbers kind of like the Nick Faldo Burner Iron commercial a few years ago. I guess what I was trying to say was the promo's just didn't give me the type of information other than your typical I like the look, Club feels good, I hit it further that you see in any advertisement if that makes sense. Maybe fewer promo's but more indepth? Again, that is just how I perceived it and is 100 percent my opinion.

hard to do in 30 second promos, but you know what, we did have threads on EVERY piece of equipment in which we talked about more in depth things involving them. You could have very easily posted a question in to one of those asking for LM numbers or anything else that you would have wanted.

I think you guys did great on your videos. I was laughing thinking about if OG had participated and had to do one.

HUH! I resemble that remark lol...

Wow this thread went and exploded. My thoughts are simple, if there is a qualification for 2.0 I will work hard on it.

Until something is posted about the event I'm not worried about it, I trust the staff will do what's best for the site and am happy I might have a shot to participate/observe.

--
tapatalk

Well, I'm done with this thread for the day and will check in tomorrow when I have more patience. i'm sorry if the Morgan Cup didn't live up to what you all had hoped, but I can guarantee you this, THP with JB and GG working will make any future MC bigger and better than the first if 16 golfers are lucky enough for this too happen again.

hard to do in 30 second promos, but you know what. We did have threads on EVERY piece of equipment in which we talked about more in depth things involving them. You could have very easily posted a question in to one of those asking for LM numbers or anything else that you would have wanted.

I agree with that 100 percent. What I'm even referencing is how so much was put into the promos and interviews and they weren't viewed as much. My suggestions are what I would suggest to get more views. Not a way of saying you did a bad job or the promo's sucked. They didn't suck I thought all of you guys did a hell of a job conveying your opinions on the equipment the promo was for. I was just saying in my original post that every interview was the same and possibly if they were a little more indepth or analytical people would have been more interested in it. But like I said it's 1 man's opinion and I promise you that I could have done no better except for TC but everyone else no way ;)

Just a few thoughts about TMC and my involvement in the threads.

I thought the Morgan Cup was a great success in my eyes. I know there were some problems and grumbling here and there, but I thought it was great. I really wanted to be involved with it in the beginning. Mostly because I had been to the THP outing and had such a good time. I thought the MC was going to be similar with some competition. That sounded right up my alley.

When my email skills were to slow and I didn't get in I was disappointed. I tried to stay involved, but fell off. I don't know if it was because life became to busy to keep up with that or just I lost interest. I will tell you the truth. If you go back and look at my post in the past 6 months. I have decreased some over the summer, but I have bounced back now. Mostly because I teach and don't work near or on a computer during the summer. I did find my self watching more of the videos in the MC thread, rather than reading the banter. (I did this from my phone mostly) I really love some of the videos. I left some comments about them, but didn't leave enough. I regret not giving positive feedback on the ones I really liked, I should have done that more. Just consider me a slacker for that.

I think the future of the Morgan Cup holds lots of success with it. I hope that some of the guys that participated in the first one are involved. That will bring experience and hopefully make it better. I know JB and GG that you might have thought that your first outing you held was a struggle, but look at how great they are now. I attended the 3rd outing (I think) and thought it went over great! I think TMC will be like a fine wine, getting better with age.

The future of Morgan Cups and me. I personally want to be involved with a Morgan Cup in the future, but I don't think I am deserving of that right now. There are so many other people on this forum that deserve this great opportunity. I personally think the Morgan Cup should be a reward for great THP members. Maybe make it an invite only type of event. I plan on trying to help THP grow more and adding quality to the forum. There are so many others that I need to aspire to be like with awesome reviews, participation and deep insight on hot topics. I hope that by the time MC 2.0 comes up I am up to this level to enter my name in the hat.

I hope I made some since with my ramblings, but just wanted to get some thoughts out.

I agree with that 100 percent. What I'm even referencing is how so much was put into the promos and interviews and they weren't viewed as much. My suggestions are what I would suggest to get more views. Not a way of saying you did a bad job or the promo's sucked. They didn't suck I thought all of you guys did a hell of a job conveying your opinions on the equipment the promo was for. I was just saying in my original post that every interview was the same and possibly if they were a little more indepth or analytical people would have been more interested in it. But like I said it's 1 man's opinion and I promise you that I could have done no better except for TC but everyone else no way ;)

here lies the question, how would people know if they were more analytical if they don't watch them to begin with?

Instead of giving opinions I will ask some questions.

As a forum member and part of the gallery for TMC what did you expect from your fellow members?
As a forum member what did you expect of the participants?

My answers:

No clue. I didn't participate in any MC threads not because I didn't care, but because I was so angry I didn't get that phat lewt.....just kidding. Honestly, I don't know why I wasn't in there asking questions in the gear threads or mixing it up with the participants. Don't think I did anything wrong, but in hindsight I could have done something to forward some of those threads. The main thread had a life of its own and there's really nothing I had to add of any significance. I didn't choose sides because I supported the cup and that's that. Even put it in my sig when the event drew near.

Second question. Maybe I am wrong here, maybe I am waaaaaaay off base. The participants seemed to be hell bent on busting each other's balls in that big thread and that's about it. The equipment threads should have been driven by the participants, not forum members. Like everyone has said, so what if it is being ignored. They had a responsibility to keep those on page one and it didn't happen. I will be posting in the SCOR thread even if I am alone in there. Basically, less time in the frat house and more time in the threads that a great many people will have an easier time reading.

I see failure on my part for not being more active in the threads. Shame on me. I also see failure on the participant's part for not spreading things around both pre and post event.

And please don't think I'm taking a shot at you guys. Hell if it were me I probably would have just stood there and been like when I hit the ball it goes in the air. I don't know how you could do it any other way other than what I suggested and show you hitting balls with it and you regular club side by side and seeing launch monitor numbers kind of like the Nick Faldo Burner Iron commercial a few years ago. I guess what I was trying to say was the promo's just didn't give me the type of information other than your typical I like the look, Club feels good, I hit it further that you see in any advertisement if that makes sense. Maybe fewer promo's but more indepth? Again, that is just how I perceived it and is 100 percent my opinion.

I see what you are saying but man the promos were the hardest part. When youre standing there and he says 3, 2, 1 GO and then everything goes blank. I liked that they didnt give us buzz words and things to say. It was real but it was also difficult. Unless youre TC and always talking. lol

This thread has exploded just the way the MC thread exploded for the last 2 months leading up to the competition, I have spent the last 1 1/2 hours catching up on this thread and it reminded me of why I only posted sporadically in the MC thread. After catching up, because I really care about this thread just as I did about the MC thread, I am somewhat exhaused and really want to navigate away from here in to something less full of strife. I posted in the MC thread and even declared my support of Team Hackers on TC's birthday, I did not post as much as some, but I did post and support the MC.
I am still awestruck at the idea of having the MC and being able to pull it off in such an effective manner. I hope this thread will give JB, GG and THP staff the input you need to make MC 2.0 even better, but right now I am not feeling it, I am feeling a lot of negativity, hurt feelings, selfishness and defensiveness. I agree with several others that we need to chill and get back to this later when some have cooled off.

I'm gonna ask it even though I don't want to. Was anyone else turned off by all the angry trash talk? I personally did not like the tone sometimes.

In answer to your question KB, yes I was turned off by a lot of the trash talk but that did not keep me out of the thread. I think being turned off is more a product of my generation and the generation following me. It is just something we don't do. I did symphatize with Esox in that reguard, and thought he handled it well and actually did pretty well considering. I equate this to the young folks liking Rickey Fowlers' outfits, I personally don't care for them, but I also realize if I were younger I would be liking the look and dressing similarly. It is hard for me to seperate the trash talk from real so I try to engage in it on a very low key level.

After this rambling all I am really saying is for everyone to remember the "free stuff" is far from free, and with being a Morgan Cupper comes great responsibility. Every MC competition should have entry requirements to protect THP and the OEM's and past participation should not enter into being or not being a participant in any future competitions.

:dazed:

Last edited:
umm my post was ignored.

Secondly it really tells me that you didnt follow the equipment threads because a lot of specific equipment results were discussed. Not only that, if you followed those threads you could you know, participate and ask a question.

I have a lot to say about things that were touched on earlier and Ill startwith this one. For those of you who would have issues with MC alumni I do not agree. We worked our @sses off. It was time away from our family, life etc... and Im not asking for a medal but just know some of us lived this event and lived for THP. Some of us are still here everyday, providing feedback and whatnot. Honestly, I know why some of you dont and I can guess those that dont pretty easy. I might as well be honest here.

I understand people finding it hard to engage in trasktalk but wow, there were numerous other threads as well.Have some of you put it together yet? The companies involved were looking at everything. If its gonna happen again, the participation needs to be there.

Some of these views I dont agree with butI respect the honesty.

Nothing at all about the MC was scripted.

here lies the question, how would people know if they were more analytical if they don't watch them to begin with?

I did watch a few of them but after a few it was like I said sort of like watching an advertisement. I honestly have no answer to your question other than variety keeps things fresh. Like I said originally I tried to keep up with the equipment threads and info but I felt they were overshadowed by the event thread and the banter there than what the event was truly about. I think JB said he realizes people missed the point of the whole event and he would make sure that doesn't happen again. I think for a 1st time held event the MC was a success for those involved but for the people not affected either through playing or being friends with someone playing it probably didn't draw the maximum amount of interest it could have. The good news is that can be addressed in the future.

As a forum member and part of the gallery for TMC what did you expect from your fellow members?

My answers:

No clue. I didn't participate in any MC threads not because I didn't care, but because I was so angry I didn't get that phat lewt.....just kidding. Honestly, I don't know why I wasn't in there asking questions in the gear threads or mixing it up with the participants. Don't think I did anything wrong, but in hindsight I could have done something to forward some of those threads. The main thread had a life of its own and there's really nothing I had to add of any significance. I didn't choose sides because I supported the cup and that's that. Even put it in my sig when the event drew near.

Second question. Maybe I am wrong here, maybe I am waaaaaaay off base. The participants seemed to be hell bent on busting each other's balls in that big thread and that's about it. The equipment threads should have been driven by the participants, not forum members. Like everyone has said, so what if it is being ignored. They had a responsibility to keep those on page one and it didn't happen. I will be posting in the SCOR thread even if I am alone in there. Basically, less time in the frat house and more time in the threads that a great many people will have an easier time reading.

I see failure on my part for not being more active in the threads. Shame on me. I also see failure on the participant's part for not spreading things around both pre and post event.

Good honest post here. While I understand your disappointments, I have to say that I disagree with you partially in that regard. While they may not have done the best job, many of them did what they could and from having talked withthem/read what they posted, I think that many of them put in a ton of effort. While you may be a bit disappointed with their performance in that respect, you do have to remember what work they did put in because it was a lot.

My answers:

To the first bolded line: I say B.S. I might not do a lot of things right but one thing I do well is keep my threads current with my feedback.

To the second bolded line: I say that for some of the participants, I'd agree with you, but not for all of them.

I vote for mc 2.0. I enjoyed the videos (even if there was only sound in the left channel) and banter on the threads ( wasn't interested in smack talk so I ignored that and read about other things). Some things I would like to see next time:

- video of each person. With brief background, forum name, real name and interesting fact about them.
- more golf swings. Not sure why I love seeing others swing but even range time would have been neat to see.
- i felt it was hard to find links to things. Once I figured out there was a mc link on the homepage it made things easier but I would love to see a recap page that links to the videos, forum links, front page threads and more. I felt lost trying to follow where things were
- the promo videos were great. The guys did good considering it was all off the cuff. Maybe have specific questions and have each person answer them?
- caddies? Volunteer caddies? I might even pay to come down and caddie for a "pro". Would be neat to work with someone for a few days. Anyone else think everyone should have walked? I would have :)

All in all I love the concept and execution. Like JB said they already know things they can improve on. 1.0 launch of anything especially an event is a learning experience.

Since this is a thread about the Morgan Cup, I'm going to do some colonel'ing...

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I actually agree with UNCFan on 2 points here. :wink: First of all, whatever method JB and GG come up with to pick participants for any future Morgan Cup events, I'll support them. There is absolutely no way that they can make everyone happy with one selection method, but I know that everything they do is to make THP as good as possible, so I know that they'll have a reason for how they set it up.

Also, it was a significant commitment for all of the guys that were in the Morgan Cup, not only from a monetary standpoint (well above the $399 entry fee) but also from a time and effort standpoint.

I'd also do it again in a heartbeat, it was so much fun! I also agree with ddec, it is unfortunate that some people didn't watch the videos or comment on them, because one of the main things that will help future Morgan Cups happen is if THP grew as a result of the first event, and if the companies involved got some positive publicity out of the event. Watching the videos and commenting on them would result in both of those things happening!

This is an interesting point. Going into the MC, I didn't know anyone except for ddec, who I met a month before the event. With that said, I found it a little hard at first to engage in the banter with some of the other guys that knew one another. I just might be alone in that, but that's how I felt. Now that I know all of the guys, it's much easier for me to talk with them on here and others as well. Expanding on that, I think that it would have been hard for some people to feel like they could have contributed to the MC thread if they didn't know the participants from an Outing or otherwise. In terms of knowing the participants, perhaps the 16 of us could have done a better job of making our personalities known, maybe that would have helped participation in the MC thread prior to the event. Of course, there were some people (mcook jumps to mind first) that just got straight into the thread and had fun with it, so maybe I'm a bit off-base here.

I'm rambling at this point, but I'll say this: I hope that the guys that were in the inaugural Morgan Cup made it clear that this event was not about the equipment or anything else that we were provided with. This event was about the amazing idea that the owners of this site had to make amateurs feel like tour pros for a small amount of time, and that led to a wonderful weekend that showed how dynamic this site is, and also how great the companies behind the event were to support all of us. If you are able to see the bigger picture about what an event means to this site, then you are a great candidate for any future Morgan Cups. If you are just looking at this as an opportunity to replace your entire bag with new gear or to get on camera for a few minutes to talk about golf gear, then you need to figure out if you really understand what the first event was all about.

Thank you Ary. I think people forget about that aspect. You made some great points and the fact you brought your family shows this wasn't about the equipment, it was about the time and experience.

This thread has exploded just the way the MC thread exploded for the last 2 months leading up to the competition, I have spent the last 1 1/2 hours catching up on this thread and it reminded me of why I only posted sporadically in the MC thread. After catching up, because I really care about this thread just as I did about the MC thread, I am somewhat exhaused and really want to navigate away from here in to something less full of strife. I posted in the MC thread and even declared my support of Team Hackers on TC's birthday, I did not post as much as some, but I did post and support the MC.
I am still awestruck at the idea of having the MC and being able to pull it off in such an effective manner. I hope this thread will give JB, GG and THP staff the input you need to make MC 2.0 even better, but right now I am not feeling it, I am feeling a lot of negativity, hurt feeling, selfishness and defensiveness. I agree with several others that we need to chill and get back to this later when some have cooled off.

In answer to your question KB, yes I was turned off by a lot of the trash talk but that did not keep me out of the thread. I think being turned off is more a product of my generation and the generation following me. It is just something we don't do. I did symphatize with Esox in that reguard, and thought you handled it well and actually did pretty well considering. I equate this to the young folks liking Rickey Barnes' outfits, I personally don't care for them, but I also realize if I were younger I would be liking the look and dressing similarly. It is hard for me to seperate the trash talk from real so I try to engage in it on a very low key level.

After this rambling all I am really saying is for everyone to remember the "free stuff" is far from free, and with being a Morgan Cupper comes great responsibility. Every MC competition should have entry requirements to protect THP and the OEM's and past participation should not enter into being a participant in any future competitions. :dazed:

Maybe it is a generational thing. I know when I did get involved heavily it seemed to end badly. I gave up on it about the time Clay Cribbs declared his support for Team Paradise. It got kind of ugly around that point in my opinion and some of the things I said were a main part of the problem at the that time.

Kevin

umm my post was ignored.

Secondly it really tells me that you didnt follow the equipment threads because a lot of specific equipment results were discussed. Not only that, if you followed those threads you could you know, participate and ask a question.

I have a lot to say about things that were touched on earlier and Ill startwith this one. For those of you who would have issues with MC alumni I do not agree. We worked our @sses off. It was time away from our family, life etc... and Im not asking for a medal but just know some of us lived this event and lived for THP. Some of us are still here everyday, providing feedback and whatnot. Honestly, I know why some of you dont and I can guess those that dont pretty easy. I might as well be honest here.

I understand people finding it hard to engage in trasktalk but wow, there were numerous other threads as well.Have some of you put it together yet? The companies involved were looking at everything. If its gonna happen again, the participation needs to be there.

Some of these views I dont agree with butI respect the honesty.

Nothing at all about the MC was scripted.

Well said buddy! Until you have actively participated in the Morgan Cup it is hard to explain how much work it really was to be active and support THP and your OEM as much as you could.

To the first bolded line: I say B.S. I might not do a lot of things right but one thing I do well is keep my threads current with my feedback.

To the second bolded line: I say that for some of the participants, I'd agree with you, but not for all of them.

Second this....

Not all TC. You were a monster and I really don't want to make things personal. It's just my perception, right or wrong.

What can make it different I don't know. I said it before and I say it now, the MC was a big hit in my book and if there is another I doubt I will participate. Can be damned sure I will do everything I can to come down and help run wires or do what I'm told to do.

I know this thread is necessary but reading some of these posts have bummed me out a little.

Well said buddy! Until you have actively participated in the Morgan Cup it is hard to explain how much work it really was to be active and support THP and your OEM as much as you could.

Exactly dude. And people complain (more than we probably know).

Not all TC. You were a monster and I really don't want to make things personal. It's just my perception, right or wrong.

What can make it different I don't know. I said it before and I say it now, the MC was a big hit in my book and if there is another I doubt I will participate. Can be damned sure I will do everything I can to come down and help run wires or do what I'm told to do.

But youre obviously discounting a lot of other who busted their @ss.

But youre obviously discounting a lot of other who busted their @ss.

I busted my a$$ on Sunday... literally somewhere near the spot where I took all those tee off photos. Hurt like hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back