Birdies...how often are you getting them?

Kmod

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 2.3
What is your frequency of scoring the wonderful birdie? I myself am a low 80s player, dipping into the 70s from time to time and for me I usually get at least 1 bird per round sometimes 2 and sometimes none with my record being 4. So for me the reason I shoot the scores is do is because of minimizing the bogeys and not necessarily getting lots of birdies. My putting is horrible and I miss lots and lots of birdie putts in what I consider "make-able" birdie putt distance of about 15-20'. I just want to hear how others fare on the course with regards to your frequency of getting birdies.

My record is 2 in a round. I'm averaging 1 a round at the moment but I still have the odd round where I don't have any. I'd consider make-able birdies to be in the 10-15 foot range. My Morgan Cup prep has lead me to a lot more birdies, thanks also to being a Callaway staffer

I would say my average would be a little under 1 per round. I usually get 1, but it is more often that I get none than 2. 2 in a round is a semi-rare feat and 4 is my record.

I'm usually about 2 a round, sometimes 3. Very rare I'll have more than 4 in a round, and if I do, you can bet there's a few doubles in there to bring the score back to believable levels.

Through 47 rounds of golf in 2012, I'm averaging 1.62 per round, which is just awful considering that in that same time span I am averaging 12.02 greens in regulation. I have days like yesterday, where I hit 16 GIR's and didn't manage one birdie. The most I've had in one round is 7. I would like to do that more often.

For 2012: 125 home rounds:

birdiefreqpct
800%
711%
622%
522%
466%
388%
22523%
13836%
04341%

So 59% of the time, at least one birdie, the data are skewed because winter golf when birdies were scarce is included and there were lots of zero birdie rounds then.

Also
Away rounds:
3 birdies once
2 birdies three times
1 birdie 12 times
0 birdies twice.

additionally for 2012, 6 eagles, all but one on par fives.

Wow Lefty you've played so much more golf than me this year, I'm jealous.

I think i'm getting one in 3 or 4 rounds at the moment.
While it's still a special event to make one for me, i have been giving myself a lot of chances in the last few rounds. Paid more attention to distances per iron and hit them very well. Just hit a lot of greens and made up for it with terrible putting :)

From the start i've been very on and off. Rather than play a series of double/triples to get in with my handicap, i'd play lots of bogeys and maybe a par and add some snowmans.

I normally shoot in the mid 80s, and I'm averaging less than 1 birdie per round this year, I think the stat is 15 birdies in 20 rounds. My personal best in a round is 5 birdies.

I have days like yesterday, where I hit 16 GIR's and didn't manage one birdie.
Ah man days like that really frustrate me as well. So many missed opportunities.

For 2012: 125 home rounds:

Thats a whole lot of golf. Has there even been 125 days this year yet? lol I'm a little jealous

4% birdies right now. That's not good.

I only have like 15 of them through almost 50 rounds this year...LAME

It depends on what tee box I'm playing and where I'm playing. I had 5 birdies in one round from our ladies tees last month and shot my personal best. I've only had 5 birdies once before. I had 2 birdies when I played a new course a couple weeks ago and none at a new course yesterday. I rarely have birdies when I play back on the gold tee box at my home course or at new courses. I would say I have more rounds without birdies than with them but I hope that is going to change as my putting improves.

Last edited:
I'm 49.5% for my last 101 rounds. My best was 3 in one round. Now if I could just stop spoiling them with doubles or worse, it would start reflecting better in my total score

On average, I am looking at 1 per round. Often times, I will get 2 but rarely more than that. I am typically in the low to mid 80's and break 80 every once in a while.

I usually average about 2-3. The problem is I also average one double a round. I am a pretty aggressive player as I have to be with my awful putting. Shooting to the middle of the green isn't really an option for me as i am more likely to 3 putt from 50 feet then have a comfortable 3 foot par putt.

It has been rare for me lately. Maybe 1 every 2-3 rounds. I have been getting more looks lately and just need to sink some putts.

Over my last 10 rounds I have 4% birdies. I get one birdie in about half of my rounds lately. A couple of rounds ago I had two birdies in three holes, which was my highest birdie count since around 1999 when I was playing all the time and taking lessons and practicing and had a low single digit handicap (that was the only round I ever broke par witha -1 that day, too). Birdies certainly help. Right now I'd settle for zero double bogeys, which would probably help my score more than an extra birdie here and there. Baby steps. :)

I don't keep stats, but usually one every 4-5 rounds I think. It seems like I've gotten more this year than I did last year.

I'm not a big birdie guy..... That being said I would guess every 4-5 rounds maybe?

The last few times out I've had one per side, but followed soon enough with a bogey or worst. I don't have the stats, but guessing I average one every other round or two.

my average for birdies or better is 1.62 per round. i tend to PAR a lot of holes anymore and don't have many blow up holes. i think birdies really come down to your putting more than anything which i am currently trying to improve on with my new SeeMore mFPG2. Yesterday i drained a 10' and 12' for birdie and eagle and i only hit 6/18 GIR so my putting gave me a 1/3 chance of making a birdie. which i don't think is bad. my GIR is usually much better so im hoping my birdie per round number is gonna be on the rise

Golfshot tells me that out of the past 20 rounds, 11% of my holes have been birdies. It also tells me that 12% have been double or worse, oops.

John Deere Tap'n

The most I have ever had was 3 birds and one eagle in a round last week. But that was a special round at my home course. I would say maybe 1 every couple of rounds.

I would say I average one to two a round, but my record is three. Happy with Pars, but the more golf I play I am focusing on getting more birdies. I miss a lot of birdie putts, like yesterday when I missed a four footer for birdie, but followed that up with a birdie on the next hole.

Back