Confession - Dirty Clubs

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We see so many threads and posts on cleaning clubs and irons looking perfect, I wanted to find out if anybody else is like me. I never clean my clubs. I clean the grooves out with a THP Epoch Tee before shots, and I do use the Lamkin Gripes on the grips after each round, but the club heads really never get cleaned.

People see them and kind of laugh with how dirty they are, but I guess I always liked the look of the "worn" clubs and never really go that extra step. Anybody else like me?

I am guilty of hardly ever washing my clubs. I usually only wash them before a tournament or something where a lot of people will be seeing them.

I don't clean my clubs religiously at all. Just when they really get grimey. But I do like worn wedges and irons, as long as the grooves are clean.

I clean mine maybe twice a year.

I clean them after a few rounds normally. I too have been using my THP tees to clean out the groves when needed. Dicks just got in a shipment if Gripes and I haven't used any yet but I'm sure that will be the routine after a few rounds as well

I find that surprising seeing that you are such a clean freak with your car. I clean mine with a brush after shots and wipe them off with a towel but am not really good about keeping them clean at all. If I have a big tournament, I'll usually bring the bag in and give them a good bath.

I am pretty much the same minus the grip cleaning. I really should start cleaning my grips. I will have to find that thread

I knock the dirt and grass off every now and then.

I'm exactly like you. If my clubs get cleaned they are prior to the Morgan Cup and the outing. Other than that, they rarely get a bath. I do use a spotless swing towel during rounds as well as a brush and tee if I take up some nasty divots.

After a round, I just throw them in the car and then unload them in the garage. When I am waiting to tee off before the next round, I wipe them down with a wet towel and use a brush on the grroves.

I must have too much time on my hands. You will rarely see my sticks in any dirt on them.

Do you have a pic? This kinda shocks me honestly.

In the warmer months I have a bath towel that I keep half wet and half dry. I give the club a quick wipe after each shot.

Can't handle dirty clubs

I clean my grips every two weeks or so, grooves before pretty much every shot...I don't care much for how the rest of the club looks.

I look at my irons like workhorses, I expect them to be dirty, get dinged up, and kick ass. I clean them up probably twice a season and that after crazy muddy conditions. Other than that a wipe on the grooves with my spotless swing and back in the bag they go.

I don't clean my clubs more than a few times per year. I need to do that more.

I use to never ever clean them. Occasionally I'd clean the grooves with a tee. Recently I've been more meticulous with my club care, but during the summer when I'm playing alot they are caked with dirt..

I'm sorry but there is a huge difference between worn and dirty. You guys are just flat out nasty dirty club playing golfers.

I'm sorry but there is a huge difference between worn and dirty. You guys are just flat out nasty dirty club playing golfers.

I figured you were a clean club guy. Pretty surprised JB is not!

Do you have a pic? This kinda shocks me honestly.

In the warmer months I have a bath towel that I keep half wet and half dry. I give the club a quick wipe after each shot.

Here is the 7 and 8 iron. You will see the bottom half of the face cleaner than the top. This is normally because of wet grass kind of moving the dirt from bottom up to about half way.

Now keep in mind I do still clean the grooves before each shot normally and this is after two rounds this weekend with thpers. But they have not been actually cleaned in close to a year.

je3ybe3y.jpg

eqepe4es.jpg

JB, you are one dirty golfer.

The gunk on those faces would distract me at address. Dunno how you do it.

Rarely do I clean mine except to brush the grooves out. I have found out if I clean them all shiney and stuff, I have a horrible round :bulgy-eyes:. It's like I don't want to get them dirty again and will not hit down with them. I suppose that's why I'm a picker instead of a digger

I like my irons to look like they have been used, but I do clean them maybe 3-4 times a season. Sometimes in tournaments there's a complimentary club wash point before the 1st tee, and I usually leave my clubs there if there's no que. I used to clean my clubs more, but I used to do a lot of unnecessary things before :D

I clean the grooves after / before a shot if I notice that all the grooves are filled with mud or something, but otherwise I might just wipe them with a towel after a shot in wet conditions.

JB...

Spoiler

Mine get cleaned about 6 times per year, but I wipe them down pretty often during a round.

Back