Forum Testing - Golf Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why?
I prefer the Bridgestone B330-RX. I was fitted for this ball at a Bridgestone ball fitting and it really works for my game.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently?
I tested the Polara balls for this forum and also have played a little with a Srixon Z-Star, the new Pro V1 and Pro V1x, Taylormade Penta TP, and the Nike 20XI.

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game?
I look for something that can give me the length I want off the tee as well as spin around the green. Durability is important as well, but not as important as the other two criteria.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I am at the golf course almost every day of the week practicing either on the course or on the driving range/putting/chipping green. I will be able to test these out and compare them to other balls as I almost always have several other types of balls in my bag. I will also be able to post updates of my testing on a regular basis as I am on this site every day and I am willing to post often.

Srixon Z-Star. Got fitted for it at Golf Galaxy. Ideal blend of feel around the greens and accuracy off the tee

NXT Tour, Pro V1, TOUR B330-RXS

Feel around the greens is #1, followed by wedge spin, driver accuracy, and durability

My testing plan will be to spend a few hours on the putting/chipping green with the Z-Star, Pro V1, and the test ball comparing them all to get a good summary written. I would go to the course after work in order to play by myself and be able to play multiple balls during the round. I would post writeups of the round immediately following.

Most importantly, I would ask the non-testers to ask my questions. What do they want me to compare? What types of tests do they want me to do and then write about?

As a tester, you should be testing for the community, not for yourself.

Taylormade Penta, I love this ball because for me it is the total package. I have distance, control and spin.
Wilson Staff FG, Callaway Tour i(z), Srixon Trispeed Tour
I perfer a ball with plenty of spin around the green without giving up distance off the tee. Also i hate spending an arm and a leg.
I golf at least twice a week, and each round is started with a bucket of balls on the range. I am on the forums daily, and try to post as often as I can.

I am not currently in the market for a new ball because I enjoy everything about the penta except the price. So if there is a ball that is comparable to the Penta that is cheaper, I would be willing to switch.

Kind of late to the discussion here. Work always getting in the way...

I agree with some of the others that ball testing, while not as flashy or material based as club testing, would prove much more useful to the testers and the community in general as you play your ball on every shot... I passed on the burner 2.0 irons testing because I just purchased a new set of my own. However, I accept any chance to test a new ball. Nothing fixes bad swing mechanics, but playing a ball with attributes that compliment your game can show immediate dividends on the course and help maximize scoring opportunities. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
Kind of late to the discussion here. Work always getting in the way...

I agree with some of the others that ball testing, while not as flashy or material based as club testing, would provide much more useful to the testers and the community in general as you play your ball on every shot... I passed on the burner 2.0 irons testing because I just purchased a new set of my own. However, I accept any chance to test a new ball. Nothing fixes bad swing mechanics, but playing a ball with attributes that compliment your game can show immediate dividends on the course and help maximize scoring opportunities. Just my 2¢.

Exactly, I am always in search of a ball that can help me improve my game. With a driver or set of irons, most people buy those oonce every few years, on the other hand, people usually buy balls on a weekly/monthly basis.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? I'm just coming back to the game and so am sorting that out. Last year's E5 is what's in the bag at present.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? I haven't played them yet (coming off an injury to my back, getting started back up this weekend), but have in hand some Z-Stars, some B'stone RX-S's, and some Pro-V1's
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I'm not a very long hitter and rely on my short game for scoring. A little extra distance is great but takes a backseat to greenside/short game control.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I will be playing 18 holes 2-3x per week, and can put a new ball in play immediately. Though I am not a frequent poster, I log in multiple times most days. If I have something to say, (initial and follow up evaluations) I will do so, and I will be responsive to questions. I have done product reviews in my other hobbies (computer hardware, guitars and amps, watches) for their respective communities.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why?my current ball of choice is Nike tour one because I love the amount of spin that I can put on the ball when I need it most.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently?Srixon tour balls I loved playing this balls for the distance. It was incredible the difference
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game?I really look for all around playability if the spin is there an the distance is a huge factor.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?I will practice with the ball being tested 2-3 times per week including a full round of golf. I will post on THP after every practice session to update on the overall feel for the product.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why?Srixon Trispeed tour yellow-because is seems give me good distance with desent feel around greens and is cost effective for me.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently?Bridgestone B330-RX yellow ,Srixon Zstar ,callaway tour I(z)and TM penta.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game?Good distance and soft feel for my swingspeed,Durability, and cost effectiveness.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?I play every week and most of the times twice a week at different courses so I would be able to test the ball under differnt conditions and requirements and compare the performance to my current ball.I am on THP daily even though I may not post every day .I could provide updates in a timely manner and be available to answer questions in a complete and thoughtful manner.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? TaylorMade Burner TP.......got a heck of a deal on them. I get good response when I hit them with my irons and wedges, just wish it had less spin off the tee with the big dog
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? TaylorMade Penta, New ProV1x and ProV1, and Nike One Tour
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Distance off the tee, soft feeling when hit, good response around the green and cost
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I currently play once a week and hit the range 2-3 times a week after work. I am on THP daily.......today threw me off my game when the forum was down for maintenance :) but I still got my fix.......I have enjoyed every day so far and I enjoy all the discussions, reviews, new clubs and technologies that THP is writing about weekly and daily. I look forward to the next one and I hope that I can give some good feedback if selected. Thanks THP for another great opportunity!

1. Titleist Pro V1x - distance and control
2. Wilson FG Tour, B330 RX-S, B330 S, Penta
3. Control and Feel
4. I play at least every other day, trying to continue improving on my game. I would use the opportunity to test in some tournaments to get the optimum comparison to my current golf ball. I would post after every outing so others get up to date feedback.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Srixon Trispeed or Trispeed Tour. I was fitted for this ball during a live ball testing with Srixon.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Bridgestone B330RX and E5 (online Bridgestone fitting)

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I want a good roll out on my drive. I was hitting a fairly good carry and high ball but wasn't get the roll out that others seem to get. My driver and ball fitting have made a big difference. I also want a ball that plays well around the greens too.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play golf several times a week. I am also actively on THP every day. I am interested in trying other brands since I've only had a live fitting by one company. I would test this ball in every aspect of my game and report back on several occasions. I want the best ball for my game.

The golf ball being cut in half was not endorsed by THP. One of the testers did it on his own and posted videos of it on YouTube. He was reprimanded for it and he took the videos down.

I was not aware of that. Sorry for the mention.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Have been playing the Nike Tour One. The reason being they are $20/dozen at Dick's. :act-up: If I had my choice I would play the ProV1x or the Srixon Z-star bc I feel they give me good distance and enough feel around the greens.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Maxfli low compressions, they were $35 for 4 dozen and figured I'd try em out while I was working on my swing. They feel ok off longer shots but are like chipping with a cue ball on the greens.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Good distance and exceptional feel on short shots and chips.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I will test the balls out when I practice during the week (at least 3 times a week) and see how they perform compared to the plethora of balls I've hit in my life and how they stack up to the ProV1/Z-star. I read THP everyday and post when I feel the need, and enjoy every minute of it.

Looking forward to seeing which company is sending out these golf balls.

Me too Hawk.

Looking forward to seeing which company is sending out these golf balls.

Me too, especially since JB said not everybody testing would get the same ball.

This is an intriguing test! Different types of golf ball for testers, different skill levels, golfers looking for different qualities in a ball....these balls are going to be well tested.

This is an intriguing test! Different types of golf ball for testers, different skill levels, golfers looking for different qualities in a ball....these balls are going to be well tested.

I agree. I am getting excited for them to pick the winners.

When will the testers be announced?

I do love the v1x but for the money really enjoy the MG c4 tour. Great performer. I've played ixtours, tour one d, pro v's, as well. MG really holds up.

What I like is ball is quite long off tee and really holds greens well. Low spin so ball just checks where I hit it.

20 a dozen really makes this a winner.

I do love the v1x but for the money really enjoy the MG c4 tour. Great performer. I've played ixtours, tour one d, pro v's, as well. MG really holds up.

What I like is ball is quite long off tee and really holds greens well. Low spin so ball just checks where I hit it.

20 a dozen really makes this a winner.

Im not going to lie, this post confuses me quite a bit?

As many have said, I think that reviewing golf balls would be the ultimate test. Drivers, Hybrids, Irons, etc. are only used on a certain percentage of shots, varying from player to player. However, every golfer in the world uses a ball on 100% of their shots (unless there's something that I'm not aware of). To be able to have the opportunity to test and review something so important to EVERYONE'S game would be a great privilege.

The TESTERS will be announced next week. :act-up:

Can't wait to see who is picked for this. A golf ball is used on everyshot! And is one of the most important golf equipment you can have IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back