What are you thinking about as you stand over the ball?

What are you thinking about as you stand over the ball?

• Total voters

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
A. What was it I supposed to do with my left hand
B. Grip, stance and posture
C. I hope I don't hit it Fat
D. I wish the wind would stop blowing
E. Make Solid Contact

I kid of course with some of my choices but I have had all of these thoughts at one time or another. I wanted to know what you all think about as you stand over your tee ball with your driver in hand. What races through your mind when you are in the rough hitting to a tucked pin over a bunker? In that go distance on a par 5 or standing over a putt of any distance or any significance.

I see a lot of golfer that just seem to freeze over the ball and I often wonder what they are thinking about. I am under the belief that constant motion is key to have a fluid golf swing and in turn a solid golf game.

A combination of B and E. Since I started testing the Swing thought focus band, this part of my game (the mental aspect) has improved tremendously. If you are thinking negatively at address chances are the ball isnt going where you want it to.

Damn i look good.

It wasn't an option.

I try not to think. It will just get in the way.

Grip, ball position, and takeaway direction most of the time.

After 39 years of this great game I tend not to think of too many things. I should have all swing thoughts engrained by now.

Sometimes I am thinking 'nice steady swing' but then again after a double bogey I am often thinking ' I'm gonna smash the arse of this one'. It usually does't work but I do think it sometimes.

Agreed. But if anything I'm thinking about my tempo. And while I'm putting my head is somewhere else I'll think about lyrics or even anything else besides the actual putt.

When my swing is working and I am playing well. I almost think about nothing. Pre shot I think about where I'm going, and hips first. Then I line up on the ball and just put all focus on keeping my eye on the ball. This leads to great contact and mostly good shots.

When I've been working on my swing, and am not playing as well, my mind is usually full of thoughts such as "shoulder back, hips forward, drop your hands, eye on the ball, keep your had still". This leads to me taking my eye off the ball and hitting the ball fat, thin, off the toe.

I'm with JB thinking just gets in the way.

What I should think: "Swing smoothly, don't try to kill it."

What I do think: "Swing smoothly, don't try to kill it. Oh geez, hit it good. Please land in the fairway/green. Oh geez...."

I'm thinking Posture, One piece take away and don't rush it.

I usually have a swing thought of the day and that's all I'm thinking about.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I check my grip at least twice, then focus in on my posture.

You move to fast to think about much...hehe but I do like your action, some nice solid ball flights..I think slowing down was our downfall the last couple of holes

Tempo...tempo...tempo

I don't really think about anything relating to the shot or golf for that matter, I'm too burnt to remember what I'm supposed to think about.

Well, to be perfectly honest, what I think about as I stand over the ball is "Hmmm, when I take out the window on that house over there, will their insurance cover the cost of repair or do I have to pay for it myself? :bulgy-eyes:

Way too much. Check alignment, smooth tempo, transfer weight and much more

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I need a ice cold Miller Lite!

Nawwww I try to keep it simple once I get over the ball and think tempo.

I've been struggling with my driver this week. I mean really struggling. Today I went out and hit a bunch of balls and was trying all kinds of things and nothing was working. Then I remembered something simple my instructor once told me. I want you to just get the club from here back to the ball. That's all I want you to think about right now. BAM! Started killing my drives down the middle. KISS! LOL

"Relax and trust your swing"

One good swing. Of course, I think it before every shot, but it just gets me to focus on that shot.

I took me awhile to come up with what I'm thinking...usually, I'm thinking about the path I want the clubhead to travel through the ball.

mostly posture thoughts...not hunching over the ball

Back