A Long About Me (aka 9I Guy is back)

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
This post has gone through several versions over the last few months. It’s been hard to come up with the right words to properly describe what was going on in my mind. I was in a pretty bad place in the later parts of 2011 in regards to my golf game. Overall, I was swinging terribly and no amount of practice was making it better. I picked up a grip training aid, which helped a bit, but overall, I was not happy with golf. Golf was driving me crazy and as I realize it now, it was because I wasn’t taking the correct steps to better my game. At the time stepping away from golf seemed the best thing to do. Unfortunately, that meant stepping away from THP too.

I came back briefly but soon was caught up in my love-hate with golf again and had to step away again. Lots of soul-searching later, I realized what was causing my problems: my inability to act. I realized that I talk a good game, but I don’t back it up. I would say I need to take lessons, but always found excuses not to take them. I’ve always know I’ve had some issues with my swing, but somewhere along the line I convinced myself that I could work through them. I tried learning a few things, but unfortunately without the proper guidance, they started to work against me. I know what I need to do in a swing, but properly translating the principles to my swing proved difficult and lead to further frustration. I got so frustrated, I pondered quitting golf entirely and actually thought about selling my clubs, but that thought didn’t last long. I do love to play golf, just as I love being a part of THP. I then resolved to figure out the root of my issues, and I feel confident now that I have. I will not get any better without lessons, and I made the condition to myself that I would not come back until I started some. And I can happily report that my first lesson is scheduled for Saturday morning.

I will no longer hide behind my inability to act. 2012 is the year I take lessons and start to fully realize the goals I laid for myself last year. I realize now that the goals I set are attainable with PROPER practice and that involves lessons. Can I break 100? Yes I can. Can I get my handicap to the 15-18 range? Yes I can. I’m properly motivated now and truthfully, I’m very excited about it. The possibilities seem endless now and I’m very excited for the coming season. With lessons and practice I have no doubt that I will reach my goals.

I know I’ve missed a lot over the last few months, and I look forward to participating with everyone again. I won’t be on like I was before, I’ve realized that it is very easy to get caught up with the whirlwind of THP sometimes and for my own benefit, I won’t on everyday like I was before. When I briefly came back late last fall, Morgan Cup 2.0 was starting to kick into high gear and it was very easy to get lost in it. I know I said I’d put my name in, but in the end I realized that rushing to get myself ready for an event like that wouldn’t be good for me. So I’m going to take things slow and do things properly to ensure I reach my goals. Congrats to everyone who was selected for MC 2.0. I’m sure you guys will do THP, your teams, and your sponsors proud.

I should probably stop rambling on here. THP, I’m glad to back and am really looking forward to joining the conversation once again!

Look for my write-up on my lesson too!

Welcome back! Looks like you have a solid plan in place. Glad to see you posting again!

where you taking lessons at? and welcome back.

It's about damn time. Both that you came back and that you are taking those lessons! I'm happy for you, Mike. You'll enjoy the game a lot more. I think Ben Hogan said something like 'true joy comes from improvement'.

Good for you 9iron, I'm glad you are back and I hope this thread serves as an inspiration to others.

Welcome back, 9I.

Welcome back.

Welcome back dude. I love taking lessons, anyone on the fence about them should really just go and do it. Good luck in 2012.

Welcome back 9iron!

Welcome back 9i. Great post buddy.

Great to see you back! I think lessons will do good things for you. Looks like you have a plan. Just see it through. Good things come to those that are willing to put in the time. Good luck to you in 2012!

Welcome back man!!!! Good luck with your goals this upcoming year!!!

Glad you're back 9I! Keep those thoughts in your head at all times and as long as you're realistic with your progression and yourself you will not fail. Keep at it bro, we're here to help!

Welcome back...

I believe there are still 2 spots open for the next outing. Lol

Go get 'em 9i! You can do it! Welcome back.

Thanks so much all! I'm glad to be back!

where you taking lessons at? and welcome back.

I'm starting at my local Golf Town. I've spoken with the pro there and he seems like a really nice guy. I've got one lesson booked to start off with. Sort of a get to know you sort of lesson and we'll go from there.

Good for you, 9I. Welcome back and go forward to a better game with your lessons.

welcome back!

Welcome back...

I believe there are still 2 spots open for the next outing. Lol

If only! Got my buddy's wedding at Disneyland in July. No way I can afford two trips south! Hopefully next year!

Welcome back man! Glad to see you motivated dude!

Welcome back mate!

Welcome back, we need all the Canadians we can get! :)

Welcome back 9im. Glad to hear your putting a plan into action

Back